kx100 hybrid

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
udwall

kx100 hybrid

Post by udwall »

anybody ever done kx100/kdx hybrid? I was looking at a kx250f but it was sold already but they also had an 04 kx100 with a cracked case which of course got me to thinking... hmm that could be fun. Stock kx100 is 150lbs. 34" seat height 16"/19" wheels part #'s for the hubs are the same as kx125 too. I guess it would be similar to the service honda crf250/cr85 hybrid I've seen. BTW I've got a 06 kx125/ 04 kdx220 hybrid already with FRP cylinder RB head & carb PC pipe etc. It rocks!! I gotta drive right by the local dealer today (goin. to get snowblower parts, killin the bike budget) so I think I'm gonna stop and eyeball a 100, what harm could come from that?
The faster you fall behind the more time you have to catch up
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Would make a bad ass 100 that's for sure.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

This was recently discussed on another forum and the consensus was that it there was very little chance that you could get the KDX motor to fit. IIRC, the KDX pipe would be too long for the frame and/or it is on the wrong side of the bike, only 1 radiator, something about the downtube and I think there were a couple of other major things. Plus the bike probably wouldn't handle that well.
SAPPER

Post by SAPPER »

sounds good heres a thread where a guy stuck a cr250 motor into a cr85 frame: http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/ind ... ic=1692.15

this guy also did a 125/85 hybrid: http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/ind ... pic=1594.0

dont bother really reading the second one just scroll down till u find the pic
real men measure with inches not centimeters

kx125 mine
kx250 dads
kx65 sisters
lt-z250 moms
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah we were talking about it here and at TT. I was over at my neighbors that weekend helping him split the cases on his kids kx100 and do some repairs in the tranny. He's got 2 kdx's in the garage, so I did some measuring and eyeballing. The only way this would be possible is to cut the entire engine cradle out of the KX100 from just below the steering head and fabricate a new one, or weld one in from a KDX. The frame on the kx100 has a single downtube, there's no way to route the pipe around it. You'd have to cut it and weld in an upside down Y and then have a double downtube to the engine cradle. Even then, you'll have fitment issues with the pipe, single rad on the kx, and clearance issues between the head and tank.

Not really a feasible swap. You'd basically be making your own frame. Might as well go 100% custom by that point.
udwall

Post by udwall »

I didn't look at the 100, was thinking about it after I left. Didn't realize it only has one rad, wouldn't be a problem for ice racing tho. it's -25c here today haha. You guys have dashed all my hopes and dreams! sounds like a good project to pass on. So, could I just graft a 220 top end to 100 bottom end? :lol: :lol:
The faster you fall behind the more time you have to catch up
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, nope.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Yeah we were talking about it here and at TT. I was over at my neighbors that weekend helping him split the cases on his kids kx100 and do some repairs in the tranny. He's got 2 kdx's in the garage, so I did some measuring and eyeballing. The only way this would be possible is to cut the entire engine cradle out of the KX100 from just below the steering head and fabricate a new one, or weld one in from a KDX. The frame on the kx100 has a single downtube, there's no way to route the pipe around it. You'd have to cut it and weld in an upside down Y and then have a double downtube to the engine cradle. Even then, you'll have fitment issues with the pipe, single rad on the kx, and clearance issues between the head and tank.

Not really a feasible swap. You'd basically be making your own frame. Might as well go 100% custom by that point.
yep, way too much work to make it, too bad could have been a fun bike...
Bouillion

My 2 cents

Post by Bouillion »

Not sure either if you could get the KDX motor to fit however, my daughter rides an 03 RM 100 (same bike as the KX) and I built my hybrid using an 05 KX125 and just don"t think the 100 frame fits an adult rider no where close to the 125. My daughter is 5'8" and we put 3 1/2" bar risers on the RM but the foot peg to seat height is still an issue for her. In my opinion, anyone taller than maybe 5'5" would be disappointed in the long run with the 100 frame? Hide sight 20/20, I wish I had bought her a 125 and lowered the suspension a few inches.