Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build - DONE!

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Tyl3r's 05/04 KX/DX Hybrid Build

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks! The rug was in a friend's hunting room in his house. When he got married and she moved in, the hunting room had to go... very sad when things like that happen! But hey, free garage rug for me!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I was soo excited all week to put the top end together on sunday... finally, a day to myself. Cleaned the cylinder super good, ran a tap thru all of the threads, blew it out with the shop hose, all the KIPS parts were polished up and laying on the bench. First step was putting the little baby lip seals back into the sides of the cylinder (I neglegected to push them out before sending it to Poweseal)... didn't look at the little baggy that they packed them in, one was torn (not blaming them, I should have known...or at least looked). I'm beat...another week sitting around waiting for less than $6.00 of parts to show up.

I'll get it done one day. :wah: :drinkers:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Slowly but surely, progress is being made!

KIPS is finally together! Wasn't as scary or intimidating as I thought. I was looking at the KIPS how-to thread on TT and also looking at the FSM as the same time. Looks like my copy has the infamous misprint for the L & R side valve and rod identification lol. I was reading along and was like WTF these are saying two different things! Which one is right?! Got that squared away and it was easy-peasy. Not nearly as intimidating as I had thought.

Ran into a little issue with a tapped hole being stripped out. Ended up drilling and tapping it for the next larger size. Info on that can be found here: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 86&t=19735
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

FINALLY got the motor in this weekend! Just need to wire it up, make my head stay plates, hook up the cooling lines, install the carb ring, and hook all that stuff up, cut the chain to length, and bleed the rear brakes, close the gap between the pipe and silencer.... then i can finally ride it. After that, still need to make the skid plate, add graphics, put on the pipe armor, and prob other stuff... it'll never be totally done I guess. Here are some photos!

I never posted the photos of the brackets that I made for the 08 450 shrouds. Made from some aluminum bar stock, powder coated wrinkle black. Had to trim the stock rad guards to make it all work:

Here is the clocking plate I made for the coolant nipple on top of the head so I could run the oversize IMS tank. Thank Ted, looks like its gonna work perfect!

Pulled her out of the garage...
Last edited by Tyl3r on 10:07 pm Jul 14 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Dude it looks great how's she ride?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Haven't got a chance to finish it yet. I'm going to try to work on it after work this week and this weekend... so hopefully I'll be able to find out soon!
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Just took the lip off the inlet side of the carb with a dremel. Went to see how close the fit for the ring would be and whoops...slips right on. I measured the two parts, I wanted +0.000"/-0.003" fit and I ended up with +.007". Checked the drawing, looks like in my hurry to get it out, I neglected to change the tolerance for the I.D. from two-place to three-place. So...my fault.

Anyways... dont feel like spending another 50 bucks for a second ring, wondering how I can make this work. I was thinking I could put some black rtv on the carb and use it to glue the ring on. What do you guys think? Think it will work? Would J.B. Weld work better? Should I try something else? I figure regular silicone would eventually break down and I want this sucker air tight.

Let me know! I wanted to get the carb on tonight. Guess I'll switch over to the wiring! :drinkers:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I guess of what you listed, I would go with the JB Weld.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I was talking to a friend of mine who's dad owns an auto body shop. He recommended using the panel bond that they use to glue body panels onto cars these days. May try to find some locally and go that route. If not, I'll probably go with the JB Weld. I fear that the RTV will work as more of a sealant than a glue and it may come off at some point.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Is that body panel adhesive gas-proof vs gas resistant? I would also make sure it can handle carb cleaner.

I am not 100% on this, but I think all RTVs are just gas resistant. Some versions are more resistant than others.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Tedh98 wrote:Is that body panel adhesive gas-proof vs gas resistant? I would also make sure it can handle carb cleaner.

I am not 100% on this, but I think all RTVs are just gas resistant. Some versions are more resistant than others.
Some good points, I'm not sure what all the panel bond is resistant too. Now that you say that, I am wondering about the "gas tank repair" kits that they have at the auto parts stores for patching a hole. I'm going to take a look and see what kind of adhesive it would use.

Do you think the fuel resistance is that big of a deal for the area on the carb I am trying to seal? I mean, wouldn't air be the only gas making contact with the ring and its sealant? If I was trying to seal a ring onto the outlet bell of the carb, I could see it being important. I dunno. Don't know if I want to chance it...
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

You are right that there isn't a lot of gas on that side of the carb, but there is some. Ever notice oil in the lowest part of you airboot ( between carb and air filter)?

I overcomplicate things, that is the only reason why I bring it up. But I would definitely make sure whatever you use can handle carb cleaner.

Have you asked the shop if they have any ideas? Some guy with a lot of experience there might have some idea that beats using epoxy or adhesive. Or maybe they will cut you a break and make another for less.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Could you make a small slice make the ring smaller and weld it back up
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

That's not a bad idea, I just worry about getting it right. If I made a slice, then clamped it to the ring, then welded it, it may end up out of round a little bit. The more I keep thinking about it, I might just end up having another made to achieve the interference fit that I was originally after.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I got my WR petcock today. It looks like it will work out nicely. I ran into one issue though that I didn't see coming. This petcock has 2 inlet tubes, where as the stock one only has one. I figured It would be like my old Honda that just had a longer tube, instead of a second one.

Anyways, the IMS tank only has one small one it, just big enough for a single, center mounter inlet tube. Think I can just "oval" out the existing hole in the tank so that both petcock inlet tubes will ft up inside? There is a O-ring seal all the way around the flange where the petcock connects to the tank. I figure the entire "oval" would be within the boundary of the o-ring... seems legit. I wanted to see what you guys thought before I went hacking at away at the nice, new, pretty tank!

*edit: trimmed it, fits, looks good!
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

They usually have two small holes side by side.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Woo hoo! Finally have her to the point of being to heat cycle the motor then go for a test ride!

A friend whipped me up a new carb ring after I quadruple checked my measurements and dimensions. It pressed on perfectly (I measured about .004"/.005" interference) and I added some "amazing automotive goop" to the the I.D. of the ring beforehand. I figure that it is sealant that should add some extra security. It is fuel and oil resistant, I had some laying around from using on other things with positive results. I am also including the detail drawing that I used for mine. If anyone else would like to use it, feel free! I would just make sure to measure your carb first to double check. I tried using a piece of the KDX boot to make an adapater from the KDX carb to the air boot, but couldn't get it to work out good enough for my liking. So I gave up on that idea, and decided to do it the right way with the new ring. You can also see the WR250 petcock in the second photo with some 1/4" fuel line and SS clamps. Reserve is a must for me!

I also used an 03 KX250 Air Boot. I put it all together with the 05 125 boot, but everything was really jammed together. After doing some searching on the forum and talking with Ted (he's the man), I bought a spare one off of him. Everything fits in there wayy nicer. The angle of carb and the boot are still a bit off, so you have to take your time assembling everything, but it looks like it will work nicely. I tried taking some photos comparing the 05 125 boot to the 03 250 boot. The 250 boot is clean, and the 125 one if dirty. You can see that the center section of both of them are about the same, the length differences can see seen at either end of the boots.

Whipped up some head stay brackets out of diamond plate aluminum (I will powder coat them wrinkle black like the engine covers once we do another run of parts in the shop with that color. I made a bracket for the silencer that will need done too)

I just need to throw some coolant and tranny oil in her and I can finally heat cycle her then go for a test rip. All that is left before I take it into the woods is a skid plate, and some clear vinyl for the frame where my boots will rub (trying to keep her purdy lol). I am absolutely ecstatic with how she looks... really hoping she rides just as good! Lots of time and money went into this thing, I'm pretty proud of it to say the very least! (see sticker on rear fender :lol: ) I absolutely could not have made this happen without the help of this forum and its awesome members. Thank you KDXRider.net and everyone that helped me along the way! Here are some shots of her next to her new step sister lol

royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

Looking good, just got started back on mine this week. I really need to pick up the pace.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks! and yes you do!

This weekend I did a few heat cycles then took her for a short 15-20 min ride around the field.... LOVED IT! Man is this thing awesome! I definitely need to get a whole bunch more seat time on this thing. I know what everyone means by them being wheelie machines lol It definitely takes a lot less effort to get the front tire up than it did before. Everything was nice and smooth (except towards the end, felt a slight front end vibration when I was accelerating. Turned out I neglected the axle nut on the front... HOLY CRAP could that have been bad! I went over everything twice and still missed that. Can't believe it. I certainly will never let that happen again) suspension felt awesome through the few small rough sections... just needs some jetting adjustments. I can't tell which circuits need changed, or if its rich or lean. Need to open up the carb, check the settings of everything, clean it up, put it back in, figure out where I'm having problems, and buy some more jets. I'll use Inda's jetting guide to get it done. Then I just need to check my sag, adjust the clickers, and this thing should be all dialed in!

I have the graphics on order now. I went through MXGraphics.co to get them. They are a local shop about an hour from me. I wanted to go to a shop that would make the vinyls for the 2005/2013 front end, 2008 shrouds, and 2005 back end. I think they are looking pretty sweet! I had some changes to the original proofs that he sent over to me, just waiting for those to get done and he will start printing. I will be sure to upload a pic or two once they are on.... pretty excited for them! For the meantime, here's a FILTHY pic of it outside after the test ride...

Hahaha its not filthy...i know. The first few times I lay it down or get it super muddy are not going to be easy on me! hahaha
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Went for a quick little rip yesterday. Noticed that the front end wanted to wobble a little bit when it hit ruts at speed. It looks like the right side fork is sitting a little higher in the clamps than the left side (not by much, maybe by one or two machined lines on the tubes, barely noticeable, but definitely a little off). I'm thinking that is likely causing my problem. Going to make them both equal and take it out again.

Is there anything else that could cause the bars to wobble back and forth like that? I don't really think I need a stabilizer to fix what I am seeing, this wobble is out of the norm... I do think it would stop this wobble though, but I know that would just be a band-aid for another issue.

Also, is there a chance that the top and bottom triple clamps are not aligned perfectly? It it hard for me to imagine them not lining up once the fork is in, but I don't know. I could trying loosening the clamps and re-torquing I guess.