building my first hybrid . have ?'s

Discussion for swapping a KDX motor in a MX frame...
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Hey yall, lost my previous username on here somehow, but glad to be back posting. Im building my first hybrid. Have had a 02 kdx 220r for about 10 years now and just recebtly picked up a 04 kx125 inpretty good shape for 800 .

Been lurking on here and doing as much research as i can without posting

So far i have the kx torn down, the case has been drilled out to 17mm and spacers and swingarm have been cut to their appropiate length by mr ron black himself, im lucky enough to live just across the river from the one of the nicest most helpful knowledgable people on the kdx . So a shout out to ron for the help. He also was kind enough to modify a pwk 38 air striker carb for this build, :supz: turned down the reed side of the carb so that it fits into the kdx boot with no problems :). Very excited to see how it works out. Ive got the headstsy created and just need to weld the lower brackets back in place

My question and what im currently facing is the kx125 boot wants to drag down the carb and out of the kdx boot a little. Ive heard of using a kx250 boot to line up much better but what year boot do i want to use? Year for year? Or is the 03 boot ( airbox to carb) A little shorter? . Thanks for your help guys and couldnt have gotten this far without this site abd all the amazing build threads . :grin: . Tj
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: building my first hybrid . have ?'s

Post by Tedh98 »

The '03 boot will be shorter than the '04 boot. I have a brand new '03 kx250 boot if you are wanting to go that route.
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Tedh98 do you know how much shorter it is than the 04 ? It looks like my 125 boot is about a 1/2 inch to long currently and pointed the same distance to far down. Has the only problem heen the boot diameter being too big for the pwk 35 carb? .( ive solved this with the rb'd 38mm as ) .
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

This isnt a precise measurement but it should give you an idea. I dont have an '04 boot to compare it to.

kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Ill have to take some rough measurements when i get home and compare to what i have now. Will that boot bolt up to the 04 box? Since you have done the most digging and engineering with the airbox ted what boot works best? Is the 05 and up boot signifigantly different?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

The bolt pattern that the KX's use to mount the boot to the box hasn't changed in years. You would need to check the P/Ns to see if and when the boots changed.

Up to this point I've always used a KDX boot mounted to the KX box.

I'm currently trying out some different boots to see what other options there might be.
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Very interesting. I looked through the parts diagram for 03-07 kx250 for the boot numbers and found 03-04-05 had different boots but 05-07 stayed the same. I could only assume that the 05 boot is shorter than the 04 and most likely shorter than the 03 as well due to kawasaki changing the angle it leaned the motor forward from 10 degrees to 5 degrees. But who knows how it would line up ?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

The '06 KX250 boot has a pronounced bend near the area where the boot goes around the shock and bolts to the carb. I don't see that style working at all.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

On my 2004 build I bought the 2004 KX250 boot. Both 125 and 250 boots are made for a 38mm carburetor. Make sure you get a good seal with the 36mm KDX carb. I went to a Lectron that has the 38mm bell dimensions. Make sure you get the DAMPER,DUCT SEAL 92160-1196 too.
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Kx200 that is good to know. I have a pwk 38mm air striker modded by ron woth his mods for this build. He tirned down the spigot side of the carb to roughly 1mm larger outer diameter (on the reed side) than the kdx pwk 33 . It fits in the kdx boot like it was meant to he there . So it will match up to the kx air boot like it was meant to be there as well due to it being the larger body carb :grin: . Based on my research the 03 boot should be about 5-6mm shorter than the 04 boot which is good considerong the pwk carb is about 15mm longer than the mikunii tmxx and the shorter tps pwk
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Tedh98 how much do you want for the 03 boot?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

What state are you in?
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

Vancouver washington . Id have pmed you but i dont have priviledges yet
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

How are people routing the wring harness? this so far has stumped me on a good way to do this .
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

Its hard to see but I mounted my CDI on the rear head stay plate above the carb.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I put the vr and the cdi in the airbox. That seemed to be where the harness wanted to go....without splicing that is. I used the rear fender to airbox bolts (longer than normal) then the cdi or vr, then a nut. Works fine so far. Lots of ways to get it accomplished.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
kx225r

Post by kx225r »

I have finished the bike and would like to post pics, but am not sure how this is done on this forum . Anyone have a tutorial?
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

What air box boot did you end up going with? How did it work out?

If you join photobucket.com, you make an account, and upload your photos to there. Once they are in there, open a photo and you will see 4 or 5 links on the top right side of the page. One of them says "IMG". Copy and paste that link into a message. When you hit "Submit", you photos will show up in your post. That is how I upload photos...
05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
Ffryno13

Post by Ffryno13 »

Hey I live in the portland area too! I've been trying to find some other kdx200 guys to ride with better yet some hybrid kdx200s anyway here's my email if your interested Ryan.wistrand@gmail.com
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Tyl3r wrote:What air box boot did you end up going with? How did it work out?
Since it has been a while since you asked, I figured I'd respond. He bought a new '03 KX250 air boot from me. And in terms of fitment: " . . . also pwk 38 plus the 03 boot fits like a glove, everything clears abd im not compressing the boot at all ."

If you find yourself needing a KX250 airboot, I have another new '03 250 boot (I have no idea how I ended up with two) that I can ship to you for almost 1/2 of what you'd pay online.