woot! shiney things are cool

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

doesn't juliend ride a E serie?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is his carb RB'd?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, it's an e series. No, the carb is not RB'd, just the head.

With the 1172 needle, 42 is about right. With the DGK, 38 is correct according to both the jetting spread sheet, recommendations for CGK needles on E series carbs I've found here and there (morie for one), and the bike. Going to a 42 with the DGK in makes crusing a painful experience. Seemed ok around the house, but once I got to really ride it a bit there was entirely too much sputtering and stumbling on the low end. The DGK is super rich from 0 - 1/4 throttle as compared to the 1172 and so requires a smaller pilot. While I've not seen many examples of the DGK in a KDX, I have read that CGK/DGK are the CEL/DEL needles for E series carbs. The DGK certainly has that super smooth power delivery, but I can't get rid of that darn bog under heavy throttle.

155 is probably too big for either needle, but I went up to 155 while trying to alleviate the bog I was getting. Using the DGK, it seemed to run better as I went up progressively with the main. 152 seemed better than 150, and 155 was better than 152, although not in the sense there was less bogging, just that it felt better up top with the larger main jet. Like I said, no plug chops done yet so I'm not 100% sure on the main, but the 155 certainly FELT better.

I ran out of time to play with it today, so further testing will be postponed until the coming weekend, maybe a bit here or there during the evenings this week. I think tomorrow I'm going to go back to my 1172n, 42 pilot, 152 main. This was working well before the DGK needle and RB head came into play. I'll use that as my baseline and work from there...
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Whats your elevation and temp there abouts juliend?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

about 3500' at the usual riding spot, 65 - 75 degrees. Sometimes we get into the 80's. :)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Finally ordered a CGK needle. I somehow lost my 42pj, so I ordered a 40 and 42.

I'll have
1172n, CGK, DGK
38 - 48 pilots
150 - 158 mains

Should be able to find a nice combo in there somewhere! I'm running 45/152 1172n 3rd clip. Runs good but the pilot is on the too rich side.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

Do you still have the lid on the air box, my e series has had the lid cut out so that the voltage regulator can still be kept in the stock location. having the stock lid could be causing your bog
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nah, no lid on the airbox. The bog comes with the DGK needle, and no change in pilot or needle clip seems to get rid of it. Using the 1172 now, no bog, serious midrange hit. Waiting on the CGK needle to come in :)

J.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Home from the beach and playing around with the bike a little today. I made some progress this morning. So this mornings test was 38/150 CGK in #2 slot. The CGK needle is a whole world different than the DGK. The snappy top end came back and feels really good. The 38 seems a bit lean with this needle. Fastest idle was about 3/4 turn out on the AS, and the off-idle bog was back. Going in to 1/8 turn out on the airscrew got rid off the off-idle bog. Feels crisp and clean up top. Gonna have some lunch and throw in a 40 pilot. If it all feels good I'll grab some plugs tomorrow and do a couple chops for the main. I'm pretty sure 150-152 is going to be about perfect with this setup.

Chime in m0rie!
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I run a CGL on the 2nd clip from bottom if I get "rb'd" will that need to change?I plan to do the head and carb on my 89.I thought I read on his site he set your carb up pretty close to where you needed to be?why the diversity then on jet needles?are the mods varrying that much from bike to bike here I don't understand?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There isn't much diversity on needles. I have no idea where you got a CGL. Most run a DEL or CEL on a stock KDX... A DEK or CEK on a modded carb or a James Dean Needle.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I ordered it along with 2 others BGN and a CEL from carb parts warehouse.from what I gather looking around there's more to the jet needles role and size and specs than you're giving it.if i remember correctly ones lenth,taper,and diameter.I bought the three to have some flex when tuning.the cel was ok and bgn was basically a stock 1173.it seems to really like the CGL idles nice and smooth with it and the 45/158 jets and the throttle is crisp and linear through the rpms.I'm not an expert on these carbs I'm used to the older mikunis but no matter what the carb the jet needle plays an important role in the operation and performance.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not more than I'm giving it... I know it has a lot to do with tuning. I am running the JD Red needle. It is a quad taper needle.... I like it allot! It is very linear... very smooth transition throughout the range.

Before that I was running the DEK as I didn't care for the hit of the CEK as it wore me out.

Some folks want a MX type hit. For me, it doesn't work well in the woods.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:
I'm with you there! Being tired of riding MX bikes in the woods was one of the main reasons I bought a KDX.
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

I'm with you there! Being tired of riding MX bikes in the woods was one of the main reasons I bought a KDX.
+1 :supz:
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Indawoods wrote:Some folks want a MX type hit. For me, it doesn't work well in the woods.
This is why I am carefully researching any performance changes I think I might want to do in the future. I do not want to lose the smooth power of this bike. I used to ride a KX125 before this and the hit that bike had was a killer in these SW PA trails. Especially on loose rocky climbs; throw a turn in and you might as well forget traction when the power came on LOL.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

DEL CEL in H series seems about the same difference as the CGK DGK I have for my 89. The CGK has a pretty hard hit up top, the DGK is smooth all the way through.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Not more than I'm giving it... I know it has a lot to do with tuning. I am running the JD Red needle. It is a quad taper needle.... I like it allot! It is very linear... very smooth transition throughout the range.

Before that I was running the DEK as I didn't care for the hit of the CEK as it wore me out.

What would you say is the performance difference using the JD vs the DEK ??
You like it that much better ??
blimpman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by blimpman »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:DEL CEL in H series seems about the same difference as the CGK DGK I have for my 89. The CGK has a pretty hard hit up top, the DGK is smooth all the way through.
Can you provide a part number to order a DGK needle?
Brian
The destination is just a by-product of the journey
1990 KDX 200-E1 - Donated to my riding buddy Bill!
2003 YZ125
2008 WR250R
2005 TT-R230
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »