head removal

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
jbowens2401

head removal

Post by jbowens2401 »

Hey guys, I need help. I am having trouble getting the snorkle off the top of the head (the thing the radiator hose goes into). I have removed the two bolts and even removed the black screw on top. I have pulled pretty hard by hand with no results. Should this piece be so hard to remove...how do you guys remove it. Also, I'm not sure how to remove the two little pins that stick down from the head (the ones that line up the head and cylinder). I'm sure I could get these things out with some plyers and a little force, but I don't want to hurt anything.

Thanks,

John
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

That gasket is pretty tough and the two bolts are suffice to remove it. Try giving it a snap to the left or right instead of up. It's b!tch to clean up that gasket afterward too.

The locator pins will come out easily with a pair of pliers.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks for the help, I got the locator pins out easily with some plyers. I'm still having trouble with that radiator snorkle on top of the cylinder. I've jerked/pulled it every way I know how. Are there any other suggestions? Can Mr. Black still do the work with it on there? If not, I guess I'll have to get a sharp edge and drive it in the gasket to free it up. I just don't want to damage anything in the process.

Thanks,

John
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

sounds like the gasket is stuck, I'd pry it with a flat screwdriver or something similar. And no I don't think Ron would work on it with it in place.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Hold the head on it's edge while resting it on the table or something solid. Make sure the screws are out of the fitting (snorkle) and give it a whack with a dead blow hammer or a soft mallet. It'll come right off.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
jbowens2401 wrote:Thanks for the help, I got the locator pins out easily with some plyers. I'm still having trouble with that radiator snorkle on top of the cylinder. I've jerked/pulled it every way I know how. Are there any other suggestions? Can Mr. Black still do the work with it on there? If not, I guess I'll have to get a sharp edge and drive it in the gasket to free it up. I just don't want to damage anything in the process.

Thanks,

John
Ahh, just send it to him I bet he likes that kinda thing :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up taking a razor blade and barely tapping it in with a small hammer...once the seal broke on the gasket, it split easily. Brian, I tried hitting it with a soft mallet and it didn't budge...I've never seen a gasket take hold like that. It sure was a pain in the rear to get all the leftover gasket off. My carb and head will ship out tomorrow. I can't wait to get them back and feel the difference.

Thank again,

John
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

When reinstalling the head, do I need to put the locator pins back in the head or place them in the cylinder?

Thanks,

John
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

don't think it matters
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I'd put them in the cylinder first. You don't want those suckers to fall out of the head and down in some port.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks, I was thinking of putting them in the cylinder 1st, but wanted to make sure there was no problem doing it that way. Also, I will be using a torque wrench to reinstalling the head nuts. I will have to use a few extentions to clear the frame. Do you guys think this will change the reading on the torque wrench? I know it does if you use an extension on the handle, but I don't think it should using an extension on the head.

Thanks for the help,

John
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Absolutley it will change the setting on the torque wrench. Some extenders come with a chart to do the calculation. There are web pages out there that allow you to enter the measurements of the wrench, extension, and desired torque setting to calculate the effective torque at the bolt head.

The only way you would not change the torque with an extension was if you used it at an exact 90 degrees. Doing so would not change the effective torque but would make it hard to use!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Good point, if I could hold it at a 90 degree angle it would be accurate, but that would be tough to do. The extensions I have came with a tool set, so I don't have a conversion chart. I will search and see if I can find a good conversion chart. What type of torque wrench do you use that will get the job done while putting on the head.

Thanks,

John
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

using a regular 3 1/2" extension or such on the torque wrench is not going to skew your readings, even if you can't hold it at a perfect 90 degrees. You are not changing the leverage. The type of extensions that come with conversion charts would be the kind that add reach extending parallel to the wrench or give more leverage on the handle side.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks juliend, I know the extension you're talking about...I think it would be used for the lower cylinder bolts that you can't get to with a socket. It adds lenght to the handle and a conversion chart would be needed to compensate for the extra leverage.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I can't wait to get my head and carb back to see and feel the difference.

Thanks again,

John
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Here's a calculator to help in the torque wrench extension calculation
http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExte ... ension.htm
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks...that's handy to have. I just saved it to my favorites.