rb head mod

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
jbowens2401

rb head mod

Post by jbowens2401 »

My wife is getting me rb'd for valentines day! I have a 2005 kdx 220. Do I have to conduct the squish band clearance test? After reading on rb's site, it says some heads require an existing squish band clearance test but it doesn't say whether the KDX does. Also, if it does any tips or tricks when doing the test are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

John
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope... pull it and send it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ask her to give ya next years Valentines Day Gift & send the CARB :supz:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks for the quick reply. She is gonna let me send the carb too! I can't wait to get it back and see the difference. So, when I get the head back I just bolt it back on and go (no special instructions)? I've never taken the head off...I got the bike from a friend of the family, and he had a weisco installed by the dealership when he bought it brand new (smart man). I do have a service manual...I just like asking people who have 1st hand experience.

Thanks again,

John
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Special instructions? For you, be prepared to kick with more force. The compression is quite noticeable.
For Ron, be sure to tell him if you are planning to run race gas or not. If not, he will shape a little more mildly than if you are.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks, I will not be running race gas, so I will make him aware of that. Also, I assume I will have to drain my radiator fluid...what brand of fluid do you guys use...I have been using engine ice.

Thanks,

John
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Peak 50/50
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Thanks, I will use peak 50/50....it's about half the price of engine ice!
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Looking at my service manual, it says that I have to remove the radiators. This may be a dumb questions, but do they really have to be removed to get the head off? Also, do you guys always change the gasket (if so, where do you buy them)? The manual also states to tighten the cylinder head nuts in a criss-cross pattern to 18ft-lb...what brand of torque wrench do you all use.

Thanks for the help,

John
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

You don't need to remove the radiators. You may have to loosen the left side one and move it to the side.

Some folks reuse the gasket after cleaning it up. Others have cleaned it up and use a copper coat on it. I would just get the Moose gasket kit on eBay.
Check out my picture here http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... asket+hell
It has everything you need for the top end. You'll need to remove the water spout on the head before sending it to RB. That'll most likely require a new gasket.

I use a Craftsman Torque wrench; I have both; ft-lbs and in-lbs. Guess what, they are both on sale right now.

~~~~~ edit ~~~~~~

Here's something to get you pumped up. I just got mine back!

Make sure you get the knurled Air Screw and allen float bowl screws; very nice upgrades.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

Man that looks awesome...I can't wait to get mine done. Thanks for the information, I just ordered the moose gasket kit from ebay for 25 bucks. I see it as a small investment to make sure my upgrade performs properly. If you don't mind, give us a ride report when you get everything back together. I'll check out the craftsman torque wrench at sears...maybe I can catch it before the sale ends.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

BTW, you can reuse the gasket. Clean it well, apply a good coat of spray aluminum spray paint, wait until it's tacky then install.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!