What carb is this?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

What carb is this?

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

I was looking at my RB modded carb tonight,any of you know what carb it could be? I noticed it didnt have a fuel bowl drain bolt like others do,my other oem carb has one.This is the Part #5DGBD FK anything special about it?Image
[/img]Image
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm... strange it has the RB air screw....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Hmmm... strange it has the RB air screw....
Yeah Id really like to know the history of the bike,but im the third owner.It also has a carbon fibre air box and custom welded gas tank where the hose inlet is on top of the head.
[/img]Image
Last edited by canuckhybrid125 on 07:54 pm Jun 11 2009, edited 1 time in total.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..looking at my RB modded carb ..'

Meaning you sent that carb to RB-Designs?

Inda saying it's odd to have the modified air screw makes it sound like it all just showed up like that?

It wouldn't be odd if you sent the carb to RB..and bought one'a the screws as part of the re-fit.

If you're the one that sent it in, Ron didn't say anything about it?

Where the drain plug usually fits on the bowl...that's not welded? Looks like it is. Looks like it HAD a plug at one time. It being upside down, maybe someone got cornfused with the lefty-loosey righty-tighty routine and busted sumthin', then had to 'fix' it.

Oh well. It ain't no good for anything anyway. Nothin' 'cept draining fuel, getting sediment out of the fuel bowl...and changing the main jet. Heck, it's practically useless! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Re: '..looking at my RB modded carb ..'

Meaning you sent that carb to RB-Designs?

Inda saying it's odd to have the modified air screw makes it sound like it all just showed up like that?

It wouldn't be odd if you sent the carb to RB..and bought one'a the screws as part of the re-fit.

If you're the one that sent it in, Ron didn't say anything about it?

Where the drain plug usually fits on the bowl...that's not welded? Looks like it is. Looks like it HAD a plug at one time. It being upside down, maybe someone got cornfused with the lefty-loosey righty-tighty routine and busted sumthin', then had to 'fix' it.

Oh well. It ain't no good for anything anyway. Nothin' 'cept draining fuel, getting sediment out of the fuel bowl...and changing the main jet. Heck, it's practically useless! :wink:
You always have a good sense of humor to funny.The reason Im asking is because I have the stock carb also and it has the drain plug,so instead of welding why not just change bowls.The carb in the picture has all the RB mods(jetting,air screw,power wing)I just thought becouse I still have the stock carb maybe this one was something special.Think ill change the bowl tonight.I bought the bike with all these mods,so I dont know to much about the bike.
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely a PWK. Agree w/ CC looks like it's been plug welded w/ a TIG. Lack of drain won't hurt anything....Don't think I've ever even taken one out on a PWK. To prep for storage I just shut the petcock off, run the bike, and just when it makes it's first "Lean out pulse" fog the inlet w/ a good aresol oil, wack the throttle, and kill it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hard to say what the history is. I know that Ron gets carbs that are too worn out to make 'em worth fussing with. That could've been true in the case of your bike....the guy sent in a worn out carb, Ron found another one someplace to use in place of. The replacement could've come with the weld already done.

Or...the PO found a used carb to send in so he could keep his bike running.

Who knows.

Same for the carbon airbox and the modified tank.

You have had the carb out of the bike? I'd be curious to see if it was actually bored/plated. I wouldn't assume it had been just 'cuz it had a knurled airscrew in it.

The answer to your question, '..any of you know what carb it could be?' succinctly, is, 'It's a small body PWK.' Could have started life as a 33mm, maybe a 35mm. The fuel bowl doesn't make it weird..just makes it different.

Consider the source

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

CC regarding - "You have had the carb out of the bike? I'd be curious to see if it was actually bored/plated. I wouldn't assume it had been just 'cuz it had a knurled airscrew in it."

CC you must have missed ..birds125 comment - "...The carb in the picture has all the RB mods(jetting,air screw,power wing)..."
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:
CC you must have missed ..birds125 comment - "...The carb in the picture has all the RB mods(jetting,air screw,power wing)..."
Yeah.

I read faster'n my one brain cell can keep up sometimes....more like usually.

Sorry.
:oops:

I appreciate for the enlightenment to have been directed.

Consider the source