brought carb to ron? have ?s

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
the trail rider

brought carb to ron? have ?s

Post by the trail rider »

I personally brought the carb to rons house and talked to him a little bit busy so my conversation was cut short. I have a 02 220 with rev pipe df3 tb2 silencer. what kind of jetting does he run in the carb? and I also told him to give me a dek instead of a cek, because most of the time I am in steep rocky terrain. does the bike eat any more gas than with the stock carb. is it worth it to add the adjustable air screw? thanks guys. on my stock jetting it seemed 145 42 needle in 2nd position with the air screw about 1 3/4 out seemed to be right. what and where are the 1st and 2nd sweet spots and the modded carby. thanks guys. TJ.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Ron will probably pick very close to the right jetting for your application.

I did find that I burn a bit more gas with the modded carb.

The DEK is a good choice for that set up. I find the CEK a bit abrupt and wish I had a DEK to try.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I love both needles... The CEK if you want to be worn out and the DEK for everything else. I run the DEK however.... I love that needle!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

holy crap does the bike run good. I can only tweak with it so much as I only have enough room to ride in my driveway ron set me up with pilot 40 main 150 and dek in the 3rd clip with about 7/8 of a turn on the air screw ran good out of the box. I think it is a little rich cause when I romp on it I get a slight bog and then it takes off. so I am going to try 148 main and see what the needle in the no 2 spot will do. I am very pleased with his work.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You note what your 'old' setup was. That is of no use to you at this point.

The air screw on a modified carb is a much more valuable tuning device than on an UNmodified carb. USE it. Also, the rule of thumb that says if your farther out than 2 turns, your pilot is too rich...does not apply to the modified carb.

It's sensitive. A 10º turn makes a difference. Explore the 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 range in small increments. You will be surprised at what you find 'out' there.

Re: 'what and where are the 1st and 2nd sweet spots and the modded carby.'

No one can tell you that 'cept you. Tune your bike! The time spent will serve you well in the future..on this bike..and every other bike.

Considering what Ron charges for needles (like..about zip)..you would have done well to get both needles so you could compare 'em.

You didn't mention your cylinder head being at RB-Designs. Past history (as opposed to future history I suppose?), rider input, says the 220 head needs help..and Ron can fix it right up! Consider doing that.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

yup. The 220 is a different bike with the head mod. Don't leave home without it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I also have a RB modded carb and the head mod for my '00 KDX200. I had Ron set up the head for race fuel as that is what I run in my KTM also. I did get the DEK needle. I have a 40 pilot jet, CEK needle w/clip in 3rd pos., and a 152 main jet with airscrew out about 1 1/2 turns. I was running a CEJ but it was a little rich, but still ran good, CEK went back in. I was wanting to try the DEK needle. Does that needle have a little more hit to it? What clip pos. should I try and should I change the mainjet also? All I do is ride woods and no racing or anything. Thanks for any info.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Cek has more hit than the Dek
Can set them up on the same clip position.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

ThanksTWMoody. Where abouts in Washington do you live?
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Michigan
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Sorry, I didn't see the Michigan at the bottom of your info :roll:
Little Jeff