Air Striker or OEM?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
rickSA

Air Striker or OEM?

Post by rickSA »

I'm getting the RB head done but need a new carb. So do I go for the AS or stick to OEM?

Ron says the AS can reduce topend but has better low response. I have a Gnarly woods on so will that reduce topend more that the AS? If so then would the AS be the way to go?

Any body played with the two?

Cheers
Rick
'00 KDX200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I have used both..but it was a long time ago I had the OEM modifed PWK on..

If you feel it's necessary to run the -35 for an acceptable low-end response, I wouldn't worry about the somewhat less air-flow the air striker runs. The -35 pretty much effects the top-end you have now to the extent an air striker won't matter.

Something to consider: I assume the choices you have are to modify your existing carb or buy an air striker, correct? Your OEM carb, being almost ten years old may well have some problems you have not considered, are not aware of, and can't be fixed. 'Fer instance...if the slide has worn the carb body to any extent..why pay to modify a worn out carb?

Ron can tell you if your OEM carb is worn..or not. If you sent it to him, he could advise you on its condition. If it's shot..then go for the air striker. If it's not, save some money and have IT modified.

How's that?

But you do say you need a new carb. Is that because Ron already TOLD you your exising/original carb is worn out.

What's the cost of an OEM carb? And by saying OEM, you do mean a Keihin carb from Kaw, right? NOT one from Sudco or some other Keihin dealer?

RonAyers lists them for $256 over here...that's not too bad, I guess.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!