JD Jetting w/RB mods

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Little Jeff

JD Jetting w/RB mods

Post by Little Jeff »

Has anybody used JD Jetting's needles with Ron's carb and head mods? Just curious.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

To get the difference between no response (meaning what?) and a positively negative response, I'll choose the latter:

I have not tried any of JD's stuff in my KDX.

You're referring to his KDX kits, right? I mean...he doesn't have a kit for the modified carbs does he?

Just went and looked. Nope.

I haven't used them ones neither!! :wink:

But I DID just ask JD if he had 'kits' specific to modified carb, KDXers.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thanks. Like I said, I was just curious
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't know how far you go back with 'stuff'...but JD was a huge help in sorting out jetting for the modified Keihin a long time back. Time was, modified carbs had AEN needles in them. To be polite...they SUCKED! You couldn't go down a 1/4 mile hill (idling mostly) without the bike being loaded up, 4-stroking, at the bottom. With JDs help we (those at the time fussing with jetting on the modified carb) got to the CEK/DEK needles.

There was a good bit of work, trial, error, tuning, and fussing that went with the now simple, 'Run a CEK/DEK in a modified carb.'

THANK ME!! :wink:

I'd say the guy knows his stuff.

The DRN thread (no KDXRider then) with that info I think is long gone. Last link I'd saved doesn't exist, anyway. I printed it all out years ago.

I'm 1/2 of the mind to try his multiple taper needles just to see what they do.

I asked, too, if his jets are different from OEM Keihin. Like the Dynojet jets? They don't relate to OEM Mikuni...or anything else. They're 'different'. I'm saying two jets of the same number are not the same.

I'll let you know what he says. Well...or their 'support team' as supposedly the question went to.

And That's The Way it Was....back then.....when it was seven miles (uphill both ways of course) in the snow and ice to school..

Screw 'snow days'! We got school cancelled around here with just a touch of snow or ice on the road.

Pansies.

Consider the source

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FYI: Regarding JD's needles...
JD wrote: The needles in the KDX jet kits are in the same range as CEK/DEK single taper needles, but ours are custom machined triple tapered needles. They are precision machined and give a more even flow of power than standard needles, but do not get excessively rich like N85D type needles. There are 2 needles in the kit, which span either side of CEK/DEK with slightly richer and slightly leaner straight diameters. The Blue marked needle is for lower elevations and cooler temperatures (richer), and the Red marked needle is leaner on the straight diameter for warmer conditions or slower paced riding, but not excessively. Yes, these are special needles, as I've spent years developing and refining the taper angles and lengths to make them perform in varied conditions without being as sensitive to changing weather and temperatures compared to stock needles. The needles will work well with the RB modified carburetors.
The main jets included are standard Keihin hex type, with 4 included in the KDX200 kit (#150-#165 by 5's). We can add main jets of other sizes if needed.

Thanks,
James
Used with permission

His needles are not available for graphic comparison in his spreadsheet. I'd like to see the CEK/DEK comparison, as a multiple taper needle is certainly going to vary in more than one area (richer and slightly leaner straight diameters).

I hadn't thought of JDs needles for quite awhile...this post kind'a gave me the bug to try 'em.

I'd ask for something other than mains by 5s, though. Maybe 145, 148, 150, 152, 155. I haven't been over 155 since I took my bike to the dunes (coast)..but ain't gonna do that no more. That's why I have a Banshee! :wink:

Consider the source

Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thanks for the report canyncarvr. I think I will try the JD needles when I start riding again in April..
Little Jeff
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

CC- Sometimes I'm impressed. This is one of those times.

Does he make a kit for the mighty 220?

I suppose I could look, couldn't I...

I installed RBD's carb and head. After a little fiddling I was very happy. Haven't touched anything since. Last weekend it was quite cool for around here. Dang, the thing ripped! Makes me think I might want to fiddle a bit more.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got her on the edge of lean... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

His site lists the PN to be the same for 200/220. I doubt that is correct. The same needles I would guess (thus the same PN), but not the same mains.

But...that (mains) would change based on whether you ran a 33mm or 35mm.

I'm impressed, too. JD's good!

:wink:

For the google disabled I'll even put up a LINK for 'ya!

Maybe even two for anyone that can't figger out how to go backwards from the first one!

I'm such a sweetheart, 'eh? :roll:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 04:34 pm Jan 06 2009, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How about throwing up a link or two? :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So... I imagine CC bought the JD needles and is trying them as I write this.... looking forward to his report!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My current 220 came with a JD jet kit, but it had not been installed yet. After I get the bike all back together I will give a report.

I loved the JD kits on the KTM's, but those buggars can be very finicky to jet.
'
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Just installed a JD jetting kit on the boy's KDX200.

Spent about 40 minutes on it today breaking in a new piston and a replated cylinder. My initial impression to the jetting change is Very Positive!! Haven't gone trail riding on it yet just ditch banging along some county roads close to the house. Will not be trail riding for another month or so due to snow and closed trails.

Bike is KDX 200 with PC2 pipe, RBD head, RBD'd air striker carb, Twin Air filter, V-Force 3 reeds. Set the carb per JD's directions for 5000 feet elevation and cooler temperatures - Blue needle -3, 155 MJ. Have a 40 PJ with 1.5 AS.

Previous to this we were running either a DEK-3 or 3.5 with 150MJ or a CEK-3 or 3.5 with a 152MJ with a 40 - 42PJ for the most part.

NOTE - Have also ran a 1369LS needle which I personally liked the best (prior to JD kit) since the short initial taper gave a little more hit on the bottom than the CEK without the taper.

The JD needle seemed to provide a little more fuel in the middle of the power band . I think that is going to make it a WINNER to me. I like the bikes I ride to have a good pull in the mid range and I think this needle may work well for us.. It seemed the pipe stayed pretty warm (bike responsive) when I piddled along slow and mid-range was strong and steady. I did run it through the gears a three times and the top end seemed good for the 200 but I did not really flail the top end since it was new. I did not pull the spark plug or do a plug chop yet on the set-up - we'll run a tank of fuel then I'll do a plug chop on the MJ.
:supz:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The blue needle is the milder of the two..right?

I'm gonna try JDs needles as soon as the mailman is good to me (read: they show up in my mailbox without paying for 'em!)

That'll happen any day now I'm almost just about positive!

JDs needles for the KDX are double tapered?

Thanks for the newz!

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

weird, the guy that enlightened us on the JD kit is the guy that forgot his own enlightenment. :roll:

CC: "The blue needle is the milder of the two..right?"

JD via CC: "The Blue marked needle is for lower elevations and cooler temperatures (richer), and the Red marked needle is leaner on the straight diameter for warmer conditions or slower paced riding, but not excessively."

CC: "JDs needles for the KDX are double tapered?"

JD via CC: "The needles in the KDX jet kits are in the same range as CEK/DEK single taper needles, but ours are custom machined triple tapered needles."

:wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well now... I am buying firffighter's set in the for sale section to try out. Can't wait to see the differences... :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:oops:

Sorry. I missed something between April 22 and cuatro 'de cinco. About the blue/red part.

I was asking someone that probably checked 'em (IC) to find out if they were double tapered. For reason(s) I've never been able to understand, double taper needles are often referred to as 'triple tapered'.

Stuff like this (off some sled site):
If there are only on (sic) letter the needle just has a straight taper. If two letters then 2 tapers.
A 'straight' taper? Is that as opposed to a parabolic taper? Maybe he's referring to the sexual characteristics of a particular tapir..and he just mispelled it?

But...if 'straight' is a taper, then a double taper needle (two slopes..straight not being a slope) is a triple taper needle.

Hey!! I wanted to buy it!! I asked first!!!!

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I figure that I will have the full complement of needles once I get the JD needles. I do not feel they are worth what JD is asking for them however unless it makes for the perfect needle. Somehow I doubt that they are but it may be closer than the DEK or CEK... I will find out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

From this link... http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product. ... t=1&page=1

It states
JD wrote:Exceeds the performance of the popular EMN, DTM, and other standard factory needle options
Low and High altitude custom designed triple taper needles
OK... since when is the EMN and DTM popular choices? :?

And states that they are TRIPLE tapered.

Again words mean something... so I hope this is not just generic double talk just to throw some verbable in....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I understand they are described as 'triple taper'. Whether they in fact have three different slope angles is what I'm wondering about. It's not a question that understanding the correct answer to will fulfill my sorry life...I'm just curious is all.

Consider the source