Pro Circuit on KDX200

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
notenuftoys

Pro Circuit on KDX200

Post by notenuftoys »

Alright, I've searched back to 2006 for an answer, but didn't find it. Here's what I'm currently running:
2001 KDX200
RB carb mod
RB head mod
VForce3 reeds
air filter mod
FMF Woods
FMF PowerCore II
13-50 gearing

It seems like some of my power range has been lost since I had the RB work done earlier this year. It doesn't rev out as far any more. So I find myself short-shifting to stay in the power band. I've had this bike for 4 years, so it's not a new bike to me.

In some previous posts, some guys liked the PC Platinum II on the KDX220 with the RB mods, but I didn't see anything specific to the KDX200. Any suggestions? I hate to spend $200 without some advice from the "experts". If this doesn't work, I'll have to trade up to a KX250.
2001 KDX 200 - FMF pipe, VForce 3 reeds, RB Designs carb mod and head
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

With the RB mod, most move up to a REV pipe.... it does the lowend of the Woods pipe with the benefit of the REV. PC pipe is also a great pipe and is kinda a cross between the 2 FMF pipes.

What needle are you using?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
notenuftoys

Post by notenuftoys »

Thanks. I'm using the CEK needle in the middle clip.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Every time this comes up I have to go looking...and sometimes don't find what I'm looking for.

How much of this is correct?

ProCircuit has Works, Platinum and PlatinumII pipes:

Works: Effective across the entire RPM range.
Platinum: Designed after the Works..same gains only it's shiny.
Plat 2: Designed for off-road. Made of 18ga. metal. The PC site says:
Like the Platinum and Works pipe, the Platinum 2 offers incredible performance with substantial power gains in the low and midrange part of the powerband.
I have a particular irk about things said/written that don't mean squat. I have a REAL irk about such things that could mean maybe...but could mean may be.

The above quote could mean: The Platinum 2 pipe works as well as the other two pipes in the low-midrange but NOT as well in the upper range as they do.

It could mean the Platinum/Works pipes work great in the low-mid..but that leaves out the upper range..and their description says they work across the entire range.

How about Works/Platinum = low.
Platinum 2 = high

Which is what I think the point is they're trying to make. The problem is, of course, they don't want to say anything about where their pipes DON'T work..so they kind'a leave that part out.

You asked for advice, so here is some: Don't buy a 19ga. metal pipe. They are indeed flimsy and will NOT hold up to any woods/trail riding (that based on any riding I do). I've had one (a 19ga. pipe). I know that it didn't 'fer diddle when it came to holding up to what it HAS to be able to.

A -35 pipe on a 200 with the list of mods you have, properly tuned, isn't needed. Your modifications will make the -30 run every bit as well as the -35 ever did in the low-mid range, and it won't have the damping effect on the upper range that the -35 does.

A -30 will suit you, I'm sure. Get a pipe guard for it, too. FRP has a fiberglas one that works well.

No. I've not run a PC Platinum pipe..but I'd never buy an 19ga. pipe. Besides that, the PC site says their Works/Platinum pipes will not fit an 'H' model 200.

Comparing what 'some' like on the 220 so you are wondering about it on the 200...the bikes are not the same. Note that to make it go, 220 riders put on 200 stuff. 200 riders do NOT put on 220 stuff.
200 rider wrote:I've heard the 220 comes with a 33mm carb, so I thought I'd try one on my 200: MAN!! My bike RIPS now!! It just SCREAMS compared to what it did with my modified 35mm carb!!
:hmm:

Uh...no.

There was a thread awhile back having to do with moving the CEK clip to -4. That was you? Did you, have you tried that? No? Why not?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Has it ever had a top-end job?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Jetting and its effects can be a PITA.

A couple weeks back, weather conditions got us a very high pressure stall over our area. Bike ran better'n it has since I don't know when.

Remember...it's the atmospheric pressure that pushes fuel through your carb. It's got nothing to do with suck.

Uh, no...larger jets in lower pressures don't do the same thing. Has to to with volumetric effieciency.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
notenuftoys

Post by notenuftoys »

fuzzy, i did a top end in the spring. Hardly rode for 4-5 months afterwards, so the top end has maybe 15-20 hours on it.

I'll play around with jetting, but i'll also put on a new pipe. went riding again today, and at higher RPM, it just sounds a little plugged up.

she really likes the 60 degrees and sunshine we have right now!! :supz:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool, check packing, and yes the pipes will take on build-up over time...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project