RB carb+new topend=WOW!!!

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

RB carb+new topend=WOW!!!

Post by Indawoods »

Just got back from my riding club where nobody was there! :shock:
I wonder if there was a toxic spill or something?

Anyway...they have a oval track there that I broke my bike in on. Made about 4 10minute mild runs around the track letting it cool down in between. Then some kid from my club shows up, puts out a sign that says... "April 16th Work Day, No riding from 8am to 2pm" This was about 12:30... Funny it was not in the March or April news letter!
So, I packed up and came back home for lunch.

Went back and really started riding more aggressive. At this point I adjusted the AS to 1 1/4 out from 7/8 out. And boy did she respond! I have no doubt that my little 200 will eat a few 250's this summer... I have never ridden such an aggressive KDX. I think Ron is on with these PWK carbs, and I think the CEK needle ROCKS!
You really owe it to yourself to get the mod done if you haven't already.... WOW... is all I can say.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Congrats! Remember, that sweet spot is within a couple of 1/16 turns, so play with it and feel what it is like off the spot so you know what that's like too.
Also, I too like the CEK needle. It's a little too much for some of the less talented riders out there so they detune the bike by using the DEK but hey, each their own!
(I love to jerk the chain and rattle the cage!)

You know you have the right AS setting when you are in second gear, go as slow as you can with the clutch out, wick the throttle no more than 1/4, and the front end claws for the sky. Then do the same thing but this time wick the throttle open and closed several times, still 1/8 to 1/4 open only and feel what a bronc buster feels during his ride! The little filly will leap with each twist, almost like little bunny hops!

Then, in second or third gear, find a steep hill and see how it will lug right up there with that same throttle setting.

O.K. go have more fun Inda!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

inda how do u like those 03 forks? i just got the 03 kx in the woods today and all i can say is holy s""t. i hit stuff i used to avoid with the 91 kx500 forks. i have a service manual for the 03 kx if u ever need any info. standard comp and rebound is 13 clicks out but keep in mind thats for the 250 and it is lighter. i replaced all the bearings in the rear and put the racetech 5.0 on the rear i had on my kdx and it was friggin awesome. next is .42 racetech springs for the forks and the racetech oil 2.5-5. i went ten clicks harder on the scotts but i think it was just because i was going faster.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They kick a$$! Not afraid to hit anything and these babies are stock! My suspension rocks, the motor rocks and now if I can get myself to rock I'd be set! :lol: But, I'm working on it.... hard! :razz:

Check out my review in the KX Forks area.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

the only thing i hate about going to this bike is it really chaps my ass those seat are a bitch
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

i am actually slower in some parts of the woods on the kx than on the kdx. on the kdx i had it pinned on the kx its hard to explain but in other parts hold the f on this bike wears me out faster if im in trouble on this bike and gas it i may end up in more trouble my old x was more forgiving. i love the susp on the kx and once i learn to ride it look out
Last edited by 89kdx200rdr on 01:07 pm Apr 18 2005, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

V, I think the '03's must have been the ticket. The older KYB's like mine are HARSH to say the least(unless you're going 50mph over logs).

Oh, BTW, I've got a 250 to feed that KDX, but she better open wide! :mrgreen:

JK...I just hope I can get my susp right before the weekend or else I'll be toast.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't forget some toluene!

Re: DEKs. Not in my cage. I'm running a DEJ. ;) (smarta$$!)

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

canyncarvr wrote:Don't forget some toluene!

Re: DEKs. Not in my cage. I'm running a DEJ. ;) (smarta$$!)
How is the DEJ working out? Any better than the DEK?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've only ridden several times with it...and all of that on the same clip (-4)...so I'm far from done with it, test-wise.

It's a good bit stronger off-idle to mid-throttle. Fuel consumption doesn't seem to have been affected much, if at all. A couple rides were 65 miles..and I was quite a ways from reserve. ...not that that means anything to anyone else particularly because riding styles and environs vary so much. I'm looking at it comparatively..and it (smaller needle diameter) didn't hurt anything. I'd have to detune it considerably to get only 'bunny hops' out of it with yanking the throttle around. Maybe stuff the airbox full'a duct tape? :wink:

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Haw! Haw! Haw!
I'll see YOU in May! Then we'll see.

BTW, FarmerJ or anyone else going to be over then?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ok, I need alittle education here, whats the AS ? Adjustment screw on the carb? An the needle your refering to, did they put that in with your carb mod or did you order that yourself?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

AS=Air Screw , PJ=Pilot Jet, MJ=Main Jet , Needle... needle jet...changed with mod, but you can change it yourself.... check the SUDCO link in the reference section.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

jafo:
The DEJ is one I ordered myself from Mr. Ron. Just one more needle to fit in with my little pile of the things that I've had in-out-up-down in several different carbs.

I'm always looking for ways to slow my bike down. :wink:

hop hop hop kwik wike a wabbit!

Consider the source