Gettin' the 220 RB'd this week: CEK or DEK

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I agree with Jeb on this one. After owning the RD'd KDX200 and now an RB'd 220, I would say that the 220 has more to work with in terms of power delivery.

To have the low end that is needed for tight nasty trails and still have a "hit" is really a rare treat.

My RB'd 200 never had this much low end.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'if I get the wheel spinning more quickly, sooner, and can get good traction, and manage to keep the front end down, I'm going faster, PERIOD!!

Exaggerate to make the point.

'My nitro fueled, 4000hp, injected, 14psi boosted, 600" hemi-headed, 48"slick tired rig gets wheels spinning more quickly, sooner that YOURS..but I DO have a problem on ice and snow............'

The two bikes are not the same. I doubt any 'hit' a 220 gets with a CEK is 'the same' as what happens with a 200. If it IS 'the same'..that would be saying the port timing (and compression in OEM machines) differences between the two has NO effect.

Obviously it does.

So? The 220 NEEDS some hit as you say. The 2-hunny don't.

It's not uncontrollable power...it's just useless. If you don't like THAT..than consider 'less than useful'. If I EVER had the idea that a KDX provided uncontrollable power...I'd certainly never TELL anyone. :wink:

I'd say that about a CRF450 in the woods...but not a KDX.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

4000 HP?

I guess Mopars aren't piles of sh1t afterall :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Coming from someone with the experience and knowledge enough (having lived so long) to know the difference between a rat and mouse, and X head and a 1.88, and how to index a timing set...I'll take that under advisement.
Now, imagine that you are in your ‘69 Mach 1 or 350 S/S Camaro and next to you is this "Plain Jane" Road Runner at a stoplight - he throws you a little rev, you throw one back -- he looks over and wryly smiles -- then throws the switch and pops open his scoop so you know he’s got a 440 Six-Pack -- you (A) Flip on your blinker and turn right (B) Tell him it’s your brother’s car and he would kill you if you street raced it (C) Tell him you have eggs in the trunk and don’t want to break them or (D) Wuss out and back down as he smokes away down the street. Doesn’t really matter anyway - he knows you don’t have the cahones to race him, and you can’t show your face at the local drive-in for a month.
s-i-g-h
....the way it was.....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

'Tis but a joke my friend, no harm, no foul.....

I'll take my youth and inexperience over bein old and knowin everything anyday, even if 3/4 of the street races nowadays are with Civics and other imports.... There's always American Graffiti to have a peek into those nostalgic times :lol:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Now Now. Back to the 220 being the superior KDX :wink:
'
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Why? Becuase when you roll it out of the showroom floor, it's already a ticking time bomb?

Or maybe becuase in 1997 instead of Kawa updating and improving the KDX, they just made another KDX that's almost identical and not at all faster than the 200?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

So true...so true... :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd love to compare a similar modded 220 to my "E" series 200
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

I would LOVE to do some comparison myself, E, H, either or both. I did ride a 200 with a rev pipe, when mine had a rev pipe (and no other mods on either), and frankly I couldn't tell that much difference between the two.

Based on my limited experience I think BOTH need more hit, but that's just personal opinion kind of stuff. Rick took a spin on my bike last Sunday, maybe he'll comment!

Firfighter is the first that I can remember that actually describes the difference based on first-hand experience on BOTH models in modified form. Anybody else?

I don't have some allegience to the 220 or anything. If a 200 truly has more to offer than the 220, I'll be swapping parts eventually: why not have the best to offer? I just have my doubts - not that there's not some physical attributes that theoretically give a 200 an advantage, but that the 200 really gets you more. As personally experienced by someone who can comment.

Like firfighter did . . . except the other way around!!
Last edited by Jeb on 10:21 pm Apr 29 2008, edited 3 times in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I rode an autoclutched kx250 up a slimey hill with an entirely wrong tire for the conditions and was not really IMPRESSED :neutral:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I rode an autoclutched kx250 up a slimey hill with an entirely wrong tire for the conditions and was not really IMPRESSED :neutral:
Everyone thinks a KX250 is some sort of moto-x monster; able to leap 40 foot gaps with a mere twist of the throttle and all. They aren't. Not much more than a well tuned KDX200 in my opinion. The allure comes from the geometry of the bike and the fact that it needs no hop-ups nor does a rider want to hop it up; just ride it with the power MaKaw gave it. Most mods, if done, are to smooth it out a bit; gearing, flywheel weight, suspension softening, etc.

Hey Wib, I was impressed you were able to ride up the slimey hill with the wrong tire for conditions after hucking it halfway up on foot and out of breath on a bike you not only had never ridden before but also was autoclutched which you had never tried before either. That impressed the hell out of me..
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

OHH NO

HE FOUND ME!!!

:shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Seriously I'd like to try that thing out on a good trail

That bike felt soo small to me
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll let you ride it again, but be forewarned; you will want to get one. I'd bet if it was standard clutched, you would be shopping before I even left the area. Ha!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My brother bought a very nice '99 KDX200 a year ago. He did all of the prescribed mods: FMF fatty, 607 reeds, airbox lid removed, RB carb and head, just as I told him to do and just as I had done on my 200.

Shortly after, I bought the 220 after selling my second KTM 200. After riding my 220, he too went out bought an'06 220 and now has the same set up I do.

There is a difference! The 220 simply has more low-end. My RB'd 200 and my brother's RB'd 200 certainly had nice power delivery, no doubt about it. But, the 220 can be ridden a gear higher with more ease, and has more "roll on" delivery for steep nasty obstacle laiden hills.

For the steep, wet, rooted, rocky Oregon terrain, the 220 is the way to go. For you flatlanders the 200 is probably great :wink:
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can do all the mods... but if it's not "tuned" and tweaked... it is not right.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I've done a lot of tuning and tweaking with both bikes including running 3 different pipes, tons of jetting tweaks, different gearing choices, etc., etc.

I'm not trying to win an arguement hear, just share my expeience with both bikes.

I've already shared that I have been searching for the right bike for over 4 years. I have concluded that the KDX220 is best bike for ME right now because it is so versitile and has a combination of low end and snap that I want for my riding style, ability and terrain that I ride.
'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey firffighter, can you make it to Rouge River May 16, 17,18? It would be great to get together for a ride!!
Jerry