first ride after mods...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I was running CEK-1 (leanest) and went to CEK-3....I think. You may be right though. I can't remember. All I remember was it was two clips richer. I LOVE the CEK in whatever position I have it in and the air screw at the first (only?) sweet spot (for a 220 anyway.) This bike has such awesome low rpm torque that I constantly run 1 gear taller now and I'm thinking of going back to the 13 tooth CS sprocket. (Running a 12 tooth right now.) I don't even use 1st when taking off from a dead start. The only time I use 1st is if I get off on a steep hill. Then it's nice to use when I'm walking the bike up the rest of the hill that is too steep to hop on and ride the rest of the way up.

Trev, I'm having some difficulty with PayPal right now or I would. I used Paypal to pay for an eBay auction I am disputing the quality of goods and I don't want them to lock down my account with any money in it. BTW, I just bought a USPS money order. It says clearly on it that it is good only in the USA. So check your money order over before buying and make sure it will be honored by US banks. I had one lost in the mail when a USPS truck was involved in a wreak and burned up. I had to wait 30 days before they would cut me a new one. When sending that kind of funds, I usually send registered or at least a certificate of mailing. If you send it regular post, then just wrap it in a couple of sheets of printer paper so it isn't detectable. Also, I have done straight bank to bank transfers. If your bank can do that for you then let me know, and I will give you my bank information to transfer the money into. The account # is not a problem releasing to you since it is protected with 3 passwords. When I do my banking on-line, I am asked for 3 passwords in a specific order. I can't move on to the next password without getting the first one right, and so on.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

That sounds fantastic Ski. My bank will allow me to do a transfer to your account. Email me at your leisure as I won't have the $$$ for 2 weeks tops (dont forget those 3 passwords hehehe). All the issues you mentioned, are what I was worried about, ie, not valid in US, lost, stolen etc... Thanks Ski, my bestest buddy you. :grin:
Last edited by KDXer on 12:55 pm Apr 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I just finished all those mods to my bike too (including the head) and had my first ride on it yesterday. Was just riding on some flat grass field type riding (trails are still frozen/swampy), but it sure is FAST now!
Goes through all the gears soooooo fast. Even wheelies in 6th.
Was also cool to pull the plug and see it brown for the first time instead of black ;)

I will give more opinions on it after I hit some trails and tracks with it.

It has these mods (There are pics in the gallery of my bike if anyone wants to see):
EFM Auto Clutch
rear hand operated brake and SS rear brake hose
scotts steering stabilizer
race tech gold suspension valves
heavier fork springs
heavier shock spring
FMF Gnarly Rev
V-Force3
RB carb mod with air screw
RB head mod
e-line carbon fibre pipe gaurd
FMF turbinecore2 silencer
Moose hand gaurds
gps and ram mount
michelin s-12's
13/50 gearing change
TAG X5 Mini Works Bars
xgx graphics
Factory Effex gripper seat cover
devol rad gaurds
devol disc gaurds
EBC sintered R pads
MX style rear fender
MX style front number plate

Phil
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hey Phil... Post your Bike Profile here:

http://kdx.woodsrider.net/viewforum.php?f=103
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

wheelies in 6th? now come on.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Uh oh... Now you've done it.... :rolleyes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

89kdx200rdr wrote:wheelies in 6th? now come on.
This aint no 1989 200 :wink:

Phil
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I'm not the only one with a modded KDX220 doing 6th gear wheelies am I?
Keep in mind that I have 13/50 gearing...

Phil
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

PJ - Its time to wake-up. LOL
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I have got the wheel up in 4th by sitting back and pulling on the bars. 5th and 6th gear flat ground wheelies are not remotely possible on my bike.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't have the huevos to even try it. 4 gear is it. Not a power wheelie but a jerk and sitting back will.
Now, I have heard of guys talented enough to shift through the gears as they hold the wheelie. That could get a top gear wheelie going I bet. But that's a balance thing, not a power thing.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

I was refering to the bounce the front end and pull up while standing type of wheelie. I can lift it in 6th now. When the bike was stock I could only do fourth gear.

Phil
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

Mine will do power wheelies in fourth I just giv'er gas and it will loop out if I don't get off it.
Phil you must be good at that, I can't get my brothers stock 220 to come up in third.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

motorider200 wrote:Mine will do power wheelies in fourth I just giv'er gas and it will loop out if I don't get off it.
Phil you must be good at that, I can't get my brothers stock 220 to come up in third.
Now that I think about it - the fourth gear wheelies were not bone stock. Had a new suspension, new tires, and 12-47 gearing. What I meant was the engine was stock.
Bone stock with the crappy soft suspension, and the stock gearing - third only IIRC (though I only had it stock for about three rides ;) )

I didn't say sixth gear wheelies are easy now either, jsut that I was impressed it would do it ;)

Phil
PhilJensen

Post by PhilJensen »

And now I am REALLY pleased with my bike - if no one even believes it will wheelie in 6th and it does, I have one fast KDX :mrgreen:

Can't wait for the ice to finish melting and the water to drain out of our trails! I want to try out all this new power on some single track!

Phil