RB carb and low end torque

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
ebeck

RB carb and low end torque

Post by ebeck »

I an considering doing an RB carb with the head. I seem to read many people like it but I also read the head does more and is more noticable.

I guess if there is an increase in low end performance then I would do it. Can anyone comment on the low speed lggging performance, grinding up a hill for example. Is there a noticable difference with the carb in that situation or should I just stick with the head.

I am sure there is more top end but I rarely get there so I am more concerned about low end performance. I think I need a KTM300 LOL.

Thanks.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

"Is there a noticable difference with the carb in that situation or should I just stick with the head."

Yes, there is a noticeable difference
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

One Acronym "SSS" .... use it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Hmmm, what is "SSS"? Spelling reference or something?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Second Sweet Spot.

Some pipe dream of Carvr's. Humor him and do a search on it. Pretend you found the spot and that you like it. Otherwise, he'll get a rant going....

He thinks that there is a second setting on the air screw that provides a better low to mid rpm performance with the KDX motor on bikes with an RB'd carb.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

Oh yeah, I noticed that too.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

'I can only comment on what happens when you install BOTH the head mod AND the carb mod since I did both simultaneously, but the combination is VERY impressive in terms of a generous, definately-feel-it-in-the-pants increase in power across the RPM range. I can remember what the rev pipe did when I installed it and the difference with the mods is of that magnitude.

My bike is a few steps beyond that with some recent changes; race gas head, timing changes, power valve changes have resulted in more aggressive power delivery and more power from mid-range to upper revs. But the biggest power change was the initial RB mods.

Oh yeah . . . I stumbled onto that pipe dream as well :grin:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

OK I am convinced, carb and head it is. I need all the low end, lug up a hill, with out breaking traction power I can get.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

On my 220 it was the best mod I did. What reeds are you running? VForce3 are great....
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
ebeck

Post by ebeck »

I have stock reed cage but Boysen carbon fiber dual stage reeds.