i think i've read enough...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
crazyaboutriding

i think i've read enough...

Post by crazyaboutriding »

its about my turn to enure the magical treatment of the RB carb mod,... just a few questions first. (00' 200)

first off... i know there have been many posts on this, but is the difference between the basic carb mod and the AS mod that significant? i would think it is, after reading that it makes significant differences at lower elevations (i ride between 2000-4000').

Also, i read that the AS can interfere with the frame... i havent read about much for problems, but i just thought i'd ask.

Another rediculous, debateable question... how much of a difference do the two mods make with the jetting? within the last 7 years of riding, the bike has not gone through but one plug, which was while getting it jetted, and i am having trouble convincing my dad that we will be able to get it back to that stage easily.

That is all of them, i hope im not just being lazy in not wanting to read every thread on here. now all thats left to do is convince to my dad that there has been MABE one in a million complaints to what ron has done, and that it is a big enough of a leap that being out of riding for one week and the money that i will put into it.

thanks everyone, i cant wait!!! :supz: :supz:
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

one in a million complaints
I doubt it's even that high!
I can't tell you about the AS, but I can tell you whatever Ron advertises, is really true, more bottom end grunt, a bit more top end and the air screw actually really does something.
don't think it's any harder to jet than a stock, I actually think it's easier since the air screw really works
my 002
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

There's no problem with the airscrew, it makes it easy to adjust while riding, and without having to use a screwdriver. That makes you adjust it instead of ignoring it due to the hassle of unpacking a driver.

I have never heard of someone being unhappy with the mods. Get the carb and the head mod.

The only thing that i was disappointed in is that I waited to get it done, then like a total retard I got the carb done one winter and the head the next. That was stupid. The head made a big difference.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You'll hear it from that old guy (think his name is Carvr?) time and time again! It only takes a tiny bit of adjustment on the airscrew too make a BIG difference. I'm talkin like a c*** hair! :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Also, i read that the AS can interfere with the frame... '

It's a closer fit than the OEM PWK35..there's hoses up there! There's enough room for it to fit 'straight-up' like it's supposed to. It's been awhile, but I recall it's easier getting the slide out of the OEM carby with it still in the boots than the Air Striker.

It's the same 'awhile' that applies to my take on the differences between the AS and the modified OEM PWK. I remember thinking it 'better'..but nothing shocking that would make me buy an Air Striker given the choice of it and the OEM carb. I've been looking for an OEM carb to get modified for the express purpose of comparing the two more critically.

The air screw adjustment is a fine one. Literally a turn of one width of the marker on the screw head (on Ron's knurled air screw) can make a night and day difference in performance. Where it's noticed most is mid-throttle pulls in 3-4th gear. The modified Air Striker air screw acts more like a fuel screw than an air screw. When the temps drop 15º in the late afternoon these days (early Spring), I'm turning the air screw out a tad.

I've run at the SSS for years. There's another 'awhile' regarding how the lower settings of the air screw run. It's been such a long time I don't recall differences between the two carbs at the two settings.

Re: A big leap? That implies a blind, unconsidered jump toward who knows what.

Ron's work is not that.

ps
Look up 'enure' (sic). You'll have better luck finding it in your dictioniry (sic) if you spell it correctly. :wink:
Last edited by canyncarvr on 11:04 am Mar 21 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

CC ... I Will be doing the R B , A S and head mod to my 01 200 shortly.

I can then donate my OEM PWK to your "experiment" if you like.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the offer! If you would be so kind as to maybe drop me a PM when shortly happens, I'll know if I'm still looking for one. I haven't found one, yet....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!