gonna' go for RB head and carb mods, need a little advice

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
midlifemoto

gonna' go for RB head and carb mods, need a little advice

Post by midlifemoto »

I have an 06 KDX 200, got the FMF pipe and airbox lid off...runs great, jetting is spot on

this is my first watercooled 2 stroke...what steps do I do to remove the head? drain the coolant and just unbolt it? will coolant drain into the cylinder? I just changed my gear oil..should I have done this afterwards?
do I have to replace the head gasket? are the Boyesen reeds necessary?

sorry for the ignorance, and yes....a service manual is on my list...thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Yeah, get the service manual 1st, it's really easy to remove the head.
Drain coolant
Remove rad shrouds, unbolt the rads, remove gas tank. remove head (I usually remove the bolts in a criss cross pattern not to warp the head but that's just me.
Some re-use the head gasket after spraying some copper spray or sumthin, I usually use a new one.
Boyseen reeds are not "necessary" but it's a great upgrade (especially for the price) I went myself with DF3 and the throttle response is much better than stock.
1st I would wait untill you get the manual if you're not very familliar with engine work :wink:
Have you checked the KDX manual online?
wilf
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

I was not aware of a kdx online manual..brand new to this site...it's awesome, thanks again!
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You can get away with reusing the head gasket by using silver spray paint on both sides. Spray, wait until the paint tacks up a bit, then install.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Wazowski

Post by Wazowski »

Just did mine...drain the water from the drain plug on the bottom of the water pump. You don't have to remove the radiators but it does make it easier to get to the front motor mount. the clamps have to be loose enough to spread slightly in order to get the head to pull straight up to be removed.

I figured the time it took me to remove the rads would be about the same as fighting the tight clearance to loosen the clamps so it's a push...

If you are careful you won't damage any of the gaskets, my head gasket looked good so I cleaned off the sticky spray they use to assemble at the factory and installed it torqued to 18 ft/lbs. It don't seem like much, and it isn't but use a criss cross pattern always.

Easy job...

Waz
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!" - Emmet Brown
midlifemoto

Post by midlifemoto »

thanks!
I spent most of my money on women and beer, the rest I just wasted

2006 KDX 200
2007 Harley Softail Custom
2004 Harley Heritage Special (was owned by Evel Knievel)
2006 CRF100 (sons)
2006 CRF 150 (girlfriends)
1978 RM250
1979 CR 125 Elsinore