Ron's mods with FMF torque pipe?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
David_Moen

Ron's mods with FMF torque pipe?

Post by David_Moen »

Hi all,

It's snowing out so it's time to start planning winter work on my KDX 220. I bought the bike with very low miles last spring, spent some time getting the jetting closer to ideal (145 main, 42 pilot, stock needle I think, 2nd notch from the top) put some stiffer springs up front and pulled a couple of shims out of the compression stack.

Because of the rave reviews and modest investment, I was thinking of sending my carb and head off to Mr. Black for his magic. I have an FMF torque pipe on my bike however, would this pipe work OK with the mods?

I like the power characteristics the bike has now, a bit cleaner pull off the bottom end would be nice. My last bike was a big-bore four stroke so getting used to riding a modestly powered 2 stroke has been a bit of an adjustment, I tend to forget to clutch until it's too late and I', either stalled on a steep hill or looped out!

Image[/img]
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nice looking bike!

Have you swapped the piston out yet with a Wiseco? :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

i have the carb mod with the torque pipe it works well with my riding style just remeber to take air box cover off. makes the bike breath better..
tom :partyman:
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Very nice bike! If the piston is original I would swap it for a Wiseco. That would be the perfect excuse to send your head in for RB-Mod as well :razz: . Not sure about the pipe (I have a 200).
David_Moen

Post by David_Moen »

I'm sure the piston is stock. The bike still had the factory tires on it when I got it!

I've just returned to off-roading after a 4 year hiatus. My previous bike was a very fast XR600. I'm finding out how much more fun a light, nimble bike is. Most of the riding terrain around here is tight, steep, and infested with roots and rocks, the KDX makes it so much more enjoyable!

I have already tossed the airbox lid BTW. It was on the bike when I got it and the main jet was a 150, with the clip on the needle in the middle position. In this form the bike did not run very well at all and I think that may be why it had not been ridden much and why I got it for such a great price ($1500).
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Swap that piston!

OK... now you don't have an excuse if you grenade your piston.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
GS

Post by GS »

David;

$1,500 bucks is a STEAL around these parts! :wink:

I'm down at the coast, running 142 / 42 with mid-position on the clip.

Haven't fiddled with the jetting. Bike is stock except for FMF silencer/arrestor. Has a new Wiseco....courtesy of hand-wringing-mega-scary-stories about the stocker.

FYI, I did notice poor/inconsistent casting quality with the original factory piston which was removed to install the Wiseco....no discernable cracks, however.

I also have a XL 600 and the only time it truly feels heavy is when I slow down and start dabbing....then the extra 100 lbs ( GASP ) :blink: rears its ugly head.

After that, *everything* feels light to the touch
David_Moen

Post by David_Moen »

My XR was a balls-to-the-wall beast known affectionatley in these parts as the "Thunder Pig" I spent a ton on the engine and had Al Dyck at Too Trick Racing in Abbotsford do the suspension. It was fun when I was rising a couple of times a week and was in shape to hang on to the thing. I even went motocrossing at Agaziz with it once!

Once life got to busy to ride as much as I want, and my free time got detoured into RC airplanes for a while the 600 was just too much bike for me - especially in the rocks and roots around here. I sold the 600 to a local fellow a few years ago and didn't replace it.

I picked the KDX up this past spring as a part payment on a computer network that my company put in at a local dealer. I've been loving it ever since! I don't want to get too carried away spending money on this one though - I have a couple of kids, 13 and 16 that see the big grin on my face after a day on the mountain and want to come along. A couple small bikes are next up on my "must buy" list. The KDX will be a great 2nd or 3rd season bike for one of the kiddies.
GS

Post by GS »

Bikes are a great kid-bonding tool. Good for the them to see the old man in action.......such as it is......:neutral:

The KDX is super at that ... terrific trail power and nothing out-tractors a 220, not even the XL600! :shock:
David_Moen

Post by David_Moen »

Hey GS, does your nick name indicate that you have a GS?
GS

Post by GS »

As in Suzuki GS?

No, those are just my initials,

Greg