Does this sound right?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
grump99

Does this sound right?

Post by grump99 »

I have been fighting a bog ever since the weather has cooled down. Bike ran great in the summer with 150/40 DEK-3. Since a couple days ago temps have been down to the mid 30's. I had been going up on jet sizes like crazy and have ended up at 158/48 DEK-4.

Bike seems to run great with this jetting, bogging went away, gained a nice "ring-ding" sound, and revs out better.

My concern is that this seems awfully rich to me, especially on the pilot. However, the bike won't run for squat with a 45 pilot or a 155 main.

Does anyone else run jetting this rich in the colder months? If it gets any colder, I'm going to have to find a 50 pilot jet somewhere :shock: . I have also checked for air leaks and found none.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Here is the relevant info about my bike:

'04 KDX 200
FMF torque pipe
Stock silencer
V-force 3 reeds
RB carb mod (modified stock carb, stock cylinder head)
Air box lid opened up
Elevaton: 400 ft above sea level

Thanks!

Tony
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

Dont you just hate winter, it screws with me for the first couple of months then along comes summer and here we go again. Pilot seems a bit rich. How far out is your mix screw? have you tried changing your ratio to richen things up?
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Air screw is about 2.5 out (second sweet spot). I run 40:1 mx2t. I didn't need this big of a pilot last year (had a CEK). Bike idles well and is not loading up or fouling plugs. Is a DEK leaner at low throttle position compared to CEK?
grump99

Post by grump99 »

I think I might have had a speck of dirt or something in one of the carb circuits. I took it apart and cleaned it. After cleaning, it ran crappy (obvious rich) with the 158/48, it wouldn't even idle. I tried 155/45 and it was much better. I guess I need to get a fuel filter :roll: . Will try 155/42 tommorow. Thanks for the advice.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
grump99 wrote:Air screw is about 2.5 out (second sweet spot). I run 40:1 mx2t. I didn't need this big of a pilot last year (had a CEK). Bike idles well and is not loading up or fouling plugs. Is a DEK leaner at low throttle position compared to CEK?
To answer your question - a DEK IS leaner at low throttle position as compared to a CEK at the same clip position. Glad you found your problem.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Thanks man. I was running on reserve when I started to have trouble. I found a few specks of dirt in the float bowl. I am guessing thats the culprit. Hopefully a filter will solve that issue.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

ITS always something simple :grin:
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.