Pointless hp question

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
crazybrit

Pointless hp question

Post by crazybrit »

Clearly, money spent on suspension and knowing how to ride is better spent than money on adding more power. I know this, so noone needs to tell me :grin: [I think I have the forks sorted (for stock), whether I can ride or not is a different matter LOL]

I think I read, as stock that the 220R puts about about 28 ponies. Not that impressive compared to the 200EXC which is closer to 40.

Anyone know the approximate power gains for a stock 220R plus:
- new 607 reeds
- RB 220R head mod
- RB carb
- FMF rev pipe

I had all these done, just waiting on some parts I need to replace the original 220R piston with a Wiseco.

Curious if anyone has a clue on the new power. Personally, I'm more interested in improving the existing power delivery than on more absolute power...... but I must admit to being curious.

Thanks
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

On a 220? :hmm:

Oh...'bout 26 I think.... :lol:

I have no idea! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

"220R puts about about 28 ponies. Not that impressive compared to the 200EXC which is closer to 40. "

Please understand something. 1997 is the year where your 220 was designed. In 1997 the 220 might have put out 28 RWHP, but the '97 200EXC might have made 33-35. As of Now, the EXC's are more advanced and developed, while the KDX is not. So a brand new 200EXC might be nearing 40 RWHP, while the kdx still sticks at 28. Get it?

Horsepower means very little in the woods anyway. I bet i've seen guys on 250's and 250f's that i could crush on an XR100 in the twisties :supz:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Not exactly apples to apples but there were some dyno's done a while ago that showed a modified KDX pretty close to a KTM 200 of unknown year.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/dynotesting.html
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

Horsepower means very little in the woods anyway. I bet i've seen guys on 250's and 250f's that i could crush on an XR100 in the twisties :supz:
You're correct on the 200EXC. My mistake.

Still; JEEZUS. I said I realize it's all about rider and not power. What d'ya want, for me to write it in freakin' blood. Sigh.

I was just curious if anyone knew what the changes in power were. Simple Q.

Yes, I "geddit". It's not what you intended me to get, but I do indeed get it!!
thebleakness

Re: Pointless hp question

Post by thebleakness »

>|<>QBB<
crazybrit wrote:Clearly, money spent on suspension and knowing how to ride is better spent than money on adding more power. I know this, so noone needs to tell me :grin: [I think I have the forks sorted (for stock), whether I can ride or not is a different matter LOL]

I think I read, as stock that the 220R puts about about 28 ponies. Not that impressive compared to the 200EXC which is closer to 40.

Anyone know the approximate power gains for a stock 220R plus:
- new 607 reeds
- RB 220R head mod
- RB carb
- FMF rev pipe

I had all these done, just waiting on some parts I need to replace the original 220R piston with a Wiseco.

Curious if anyone has a clue on the new power. Personally, I'm more interested in improving the existing power delivery than on more absolute power...... but I must admit to being curious.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure it's going to put out about 76hp. At least that's what I've read...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol: :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
crazybrit

Re: Pointless hp question

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:>|<>QBB<I'm pretty sure it's going to put out about 76hp. At least that's what I've read...
Yah ... I'm so glad I asked this question .... shoulda known better ..... next time :supz:
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

It's reasonable to expect that it's gonna be more than 2 or 3 horsepower based on how much stronger the bike actually becomes with the mods, a change that's very noticeable . . .

if FMF's claims that their pipe adds 10-15% horsepower are true, that's 2 or 3 horsepower. I'm confident that the RB mods add that if not more (and I'll bet many would have the same opinion), so it seems reasonable that one would get 4-5 horsepower out of those combination of mods. Perhaps more if someone takes the time to optimize performance through the combined effects of plug selection, jetting, SSS (oh yeah!), fuel, etc.

But, like you suggest, it IS about the rider. Even so, my feeling is that it's as much about the way horsepower comes on that makes a difference. For example, the TTR230 I used to have has a "nameplate" maximum engine hp output of the equivalent of about 18hp. My son's RM65 is between 13 and 14hp (within, of course, the narrow sliver of that powerband). Naturally, I would take the 230 on the trails given the choice between the two. 'Point being I'll bet a 1 hp in the right place is quite significant . . .

so you're exactly right about the power delivery part vs. the absolute power being what's important. And a 220 is all about power delivery on them nasty trails!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:"
Horsepower means very little in the woods anyway. :

07 KTM 525 w/ dealer equipped goodies & bling, $9200.00

06 KDX w/ mods, under $5000.00.

Push'n, bump'n, plain being nasty, "not passing" but, instead just stay on the KTM through the woods and piss'n him off with the lil KDX, PRICELESS!

Yeah that was me being an ass a few weeks ago. :mrgreen:

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Push'n, bump'n, plain being nasty, "not passing" but, instead just stay on the KTM through the woods and piss'n him off with the lil KDX, PRICELESS!
:supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You're right of course...concerning the fidillities of horsepower ratings and advertised numbers.

40hp on a 200? EXC or not...that's highly unlikely.

Obviously, no one knows the answer to your question.

Jeb's reasoning sounds about right, though...for the admittedly curious.

Do you feel better now that you know?

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I'll toss this out for consideration;
I used to race RM400's cross-country - I had several. They were rated at close to 36 HP as I recall. I can remember exactly how they pulled a familiar uphill fireroad with jumps (on a good day they'd pull 4th gear, mostly I had to use 3rd). My current 220 pulls that same uphill section very, very similarly- both speedwise and torque-wise.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Kawagumby, how long have you had that KX250 in your sig?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
2001kdx wrote:Kawagumby, how long have you had that KX250 in your sig?
I put it in a couple of weeks ago...I've had the bike since the first of the year.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.