Curious about the Air Striker

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
SteveWR450f

Curious about the Air Striker

Post by SteveWR450f »

Got my standard carb and head modified by RB. Performance increase was noticeable. Money will spent. My question is: Is the air striker worth the money. What are the advantages. Does it not bog or hessitate when its not level?

Bike has all the other standard stuff - Rev pipe, Vforce reeds.

Thanks for your time, Steve
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I believe the air stryker isn't affected as much as the stock or mod carb by temp and elevation change. I'm sure somebodyelse will chime in to confirm or deny.
or you could go there:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ir+stryker
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I better go to the bank and get a money order for an Air Striker. Why be cheap at this point.?

I have already put 2k into the bike - pipe, reeds, sprockets, skid plates, kx fork conversion, steering stablizer, etc. People told me that a KTM would be cheaper in the long run but I ignored it. Oh well . . . we truly have unique bikes. Long live the KDX. Too bad Kawi did not make them this way.

Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

A KTM would not be cheaper in the short or long run. Most folks can get a KDX in good shape for under 2500, then add 2000 in upgrades...that's still a lot cheaper than 7K plus tax for a KTM. And then there's the maintenance cost.... nothing out there is as bullet-proof and long-lasting(at least in my experience) as a KDX. KTM's are not cheap to maintain, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't trade my modded KDX for a brand-new KTM. I don't race anymore, I ride for the experience itself.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The KTM's are nice bikes, but only if you like them. I debated between the 300 and my bike and went with the KDX. Like you, I really questioned the logic of all these mods to a 12 year old design. In some ways I still do, but not with respect to the KTM 300. After riding one, I'm glad I don't own one. Now, I really do love that motor, but you can have that chassis. I just can't feel right on that thing, even standing up. The pegs seem way too forward, the bars are awkward to me, it's harsh, feels like it'll bite you in a slide, on and on. My KDX has it's problems, but it just suits me a lot better overall. If I come into a corner out of shape, it likes to slide nice and predictable to help me out. I just feel like it's working with me instead of demanding I submit to it's needs.

Too bad Kawi didn't build a $5K KTM killer in a modernized KDX with a KXF chassis and a tractor-like 3-400cc 2 stroke motor.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

About 2 weeks ago I was invited to ride new trails in a yet unopened expansion area of a state off-road park. I was with two riders, each on a highly modified CRF250X...the riders were both experts (one had recently overalled the vet/up/novice day of a national cross-country). These guys had the crf250 heads, cams, aftermarket exhausts, etc., easily 8-9 K in each bike. My $4K KDX was right up thier exhausts the whole run. They hooked up better on some of the loose dry soils, but my lighter bike could go in faster, deeper in the slippery tight single-track. Nowhere did I feel I was out-powered.

- and I loved the fun little unintentional power wheelies it now does coming out of the turns since I put Ron's head mod on.... (unabashed plug, so what).

BTW, my last bike was also a CRF250X and the KDX is flat better for single-track stuff and tight hills, and a heck of a lot more fun. OK, I'll end my KDX kudos hijack. :mrgreen: But dang, this bike, once upgraded, is a winner and well worth the money invested IMO.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

"oved the fun little unintentional power wheelies it now does coming out of the turns since I put Ron's head mod on.... "

Yeah, I love getting getting those ever since I put on my Rev pipe. Come out of a corner in 2nd, quickly rev up and hit 3rd, she's on one wheel baby. One time I had 3rd ALL screamed out and power wheelied through a 60ft or so of acceleration bumps. Exhilarating!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

>|<>QBB<
scheckaet wrote:I believe the air stryker isn't affected as much as the stock or mod carb by temp and elevation change. I'm sure somebodyelse will chime in to confirm or deny.
or you could go there:
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... ir+stryker
Since its "air density" that changes with temperature and elevation changes it sure seems logical that carburators would be equally affected by changes in air density. That said - the KDX does not seem to be as tempermental in jetting as some of the higher output bikes: I contribute this more to the state of tune of the engine verses a specific carb.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

that in mind i have to ask if those that have the RB mods done have noticed any change in sensitivity in regards to jetting? I like how insensitive my bike can be to altitude changes on some of the rides I go on. once on the trail i dont like to stop to turn the air screw or even consider changing jets.