Rear Suspension

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
dustycarpet

Rear Suspension

Post by dustycarpet »

I have a '04 KDX 200 and have only messed with the screw setting on the compression canister which is two clicks out from all the way in. I way 86KG (190LBS) - is this more or less OK?

What concerns me a bit is that when I sit on the bike, the bike takes quite a bit of time to pop back up - is this normal? I just check that it doesnt have the almost instant return or spring rate that my mates' MX type bikes have...just want 2 make sure it's all sharp or if I must check rebound?

Shot thanks
I love cops
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My bikes work well with just enough rebound to be noticeable, about 1 full second to extension after full weight compression. That, of course, will vary with riding conditions and rider size and skill.

Compression settings do affect rebound action and vice-versa. You may want to back off of the high compression setting you have (two clicks from full-in would be the higher end of compression settings for most folks) and see how it affects your ride - and how it affects rebound action too. With just the two settings on KDX shocks, you can experiment a bit to find the best -

for rough, slow single-track I run my compression 8 clicks out and rebound 10 clicks out - (4.8 kg spring, experienced rider @165 lbs).

This thread needs to be in Q&A forum methinks.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I'd bet 2-clicks out is that's a little slow.

What is spec (14 and 12 for compression and rebound, or vis versa)?

It has to be fast enough to push back out for the next bump. If you are a fast rider over fast terrain, that would be different if you're going slow over technical stuff. If you do both, you compromise.

The best way to do it is to take it out with a screw driver for a practice session and go over sections repeatedly to find the setting that makes the back end behave well. Take a notebook, too.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R