Does RB mod help with spoo?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:. . . Straight C-12 didn't provide me as much power as premium pump gas either . . .
Did you attempt straight premium pump gas with Ron's race-gas-cut head? Or are you referring to the 50/50 mixture?

I'm a little off the subject here, but did you experiment with different ratios of race gas and pump gas? If so, were there any throttle response vs. power tradeoffs?

When I installed Ron's race-gas-cut head and started and kept a 50/50 mixture and experienced fantastic throttle response and had NO spoo at first, a little after riding about 16-18 hours.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I called our local Super-Motorsports store and asked who in town sells C-12..... "Uh... I don't know!" Useless! :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<[url=http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 7549#47549]
Did you attempt straight premium pump gas with Ron's race-gas-cut head? Or are you referring to the 50/50 mixture?

I'm a little off the subject here, but did you experiment with different ratios of race gas and pump gas? If so, were there any throttle response vs. power tradeoffs?

When I installed Ron's race-gas-cut head and started and kept a 50/50 mixture and experienced fantastic throttle response and had NO spoo at first, a little after riding about 16-18 hours.[/quote]

I worked my way from straight C-12 to a 50/50 mix. Stopped there because jetting was getting tough to keep consistent. The batches of pump gas varied so much in quality, the jetting kept changing on me. Especially with premium, who the hell knows how old that gas is sitting in a tank underground and blended every time they come to fill it up?!?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Vince,
click to here:
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#leaded

follow the link called, "vp distribution centers". A pop-up map will home you in on a rep for your area. Call him and I'm sure he would be able to tell you who sells it in your neck of the woods.

Hmmmm.... if no one, then discuss with him the distribution you do for Amway oils, your affiliation with the web site you've created and perhaps you can rep for them!! Start stocking VP through the local motorcycle shops and it could be a nice little second income.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I called and left a message... hopefully I will hear back Monday.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Man this is great info! I had given up on the spoo issue thinking it was a lost cause. Now I'm encouraged enough to look up a race gas distributor.

I still wonder why my son's KTM 50, which uses 87 octane gas, has a clean silencer tip while my bike, with 93 octane, looks like the spark arrestor is an oil well... I think his auto-injection system mixes at 60:1, but again, it probably isn't the oil anyway.

There I go thinking again. I just need to try the race gas and see how that goes.

Jeb, thanks for the link for VP.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Remember... Higher octane gas has a slower burn rate... hence, unburned fuel. :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

But also look at the evaporation temperatures. C-12 is going to flash at a much lower temperature, and more consistantly due to the quality of the fuel. When the conditions are right, it will vaporize, (reach it's flash point) all of it. Unlike pump gas that might or might not because who the hell knows what it even is from one fill-up to the next?
With the race gas, your jetting will be very consistant and very easy to determine when you are going the right direction when playing with it.

BTW, carvr must be out playing this weekend since he hasn't piped up yet. Ha!!

One more thing. C-12 sells for $5 a gallon here. Premium pump gas is $3.20. Only a buck eighty seperates the two, cost wise.

One more thing, again. C-12 is 108 octane. Vince was pointing out that the higher the octane the slower the fuel burns. I don't know about that. I do know that it's less likely to flash at the temperatures generated in the head of a KX or a KDX. So not as likely to ping. If it does burn slower, and I've no reason to doubt it, then if timing is retarded (advanced? I get confused) to a point where the motor has more time to burn the fuel, then power will also be increased. I've heard that timing can provide more low-end power. Introducing a fuel that burns slower would be a good thing in that instance. I now seem to recall I set my timing to 3 extra degrees before TDC than stock. That should allow a slower burning fuel more time to burn before the exhaust port opens.

Which brings me to my very last thing. How would the KIPS valve affect the overall time that the fuel has to burn in the combustion chamber before it opens. It's an RPM thing, but does that mean at high RPM's there isn't as much time or engine cranking degrees to burn the fuel in the motor?

I don't blame anyone for not understanding my ramblings. I'm just sitting here on the porch in my rocking chair, killing time, a six pack and some Chinese food until my bike arrives. I re-read this and don't understand most of what I was trying to say..... :partyman:
Jerry

Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

What Ski said . . . or, uh, in his own words, what he thinks he said :grin: . . .

and just to add a comment about the race gas flash temp and octane level. C-12 is certainly the more popular race fuel but there are others. I started out with VP Racing Fuels VP-110 largely because I can get it from 3 sources in the Louisville area. It has a higher octane rating (110) yet the vaporization temp is higher (burns hotter) than C-12. Which is better? Is one better than the other? Who knows, like Jerry suggests it's quite complicated . . .

What does this mean if you're trying to cut back on spoo? It means that you have choices about which things like price, availability, and mix ratio become part of the equation.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

My KDX spooed like no tommorow. 93 octane, 150/42. My RM has had absolutely 0 spoo since I got it. I think it's safe to say it won't be spooing until next year!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

spoo hoo

errrr.....

I mean boo hoo :cry:

:lol:
Get well soon!!
Jerry

2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I'm rollin around in a wheelchair now - I might go work on my bike :supz:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't worry about it

Prolly only way to get rid of it is to buy a 4 stroke

I ride with Carvr, prolly not a person on the planet that fusses more with their kdx than him. And his bike spoos out every single orifice you could think of!

But we do ride some pretty tight stuff. May only travel 20-30 miles in 6-10 hours. Last weekend when I rode the DR I only hit second gear like 3 times the whole day
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

:shock: Just how many orifices does Carvr's KDX have?

Only on the West Coast . . .

CLICK FOR PICS!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

hey Wib, I thought he got the spoo under control when he finally changed barrels. He did change barrels, didn't he? I thought he did.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

He really had it controlled when he put the stock S/A back on, but I guess it just stopped til it got a filled up??

Hopefully he'll chime in here soon

Not sure if he went riding on his twin 2 strokin couch this weekend or what?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Vince, I know my karting bud down there buys the 5-gal cans of C-12 in Springfield. I will ask him if he knows of anyone else. Can also try the local karting shop...They will know.

http://www.clearlight.com/~laukrace/2000/

They are right up the street from you.

There is always RB's race gas concoction too.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

I'm also running c-12 50/50 with premium pump fuel with RB head for pump gas I have seen a reduction in spoo also. I paying allot more than ski was here in NY it's $60.00 for a 5 gallon pail. 12 bucks a gallon but to me it's wort it, my bike just seems to run better on it. I had a ping on the top that I was not able to get rid of put 50/50 in dropped the main on size and it was gone throttle response is also better.
04 kdx 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

With straight C-12 and a well jetted carb, your spoo could be further reduced, but I don't blame you at that price!! Are they charging you a deposit on the can? They used to here in California, but the California Air Resources Board (CARB) stopped them. They said an unsealed can could not be transported without a bunch of headache. Those BASTARDS!!!! Now I ended up with a boat load of 5 gallon metal cans. I think I'll work on replacing my pontoon boat by attaching them all together.
Jerry

nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

no not charging for the can and I'm starting a collection also I wish they would take them back.
04 kdx 200