Does RB mod help with spoo?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

YOu might try seeing if they'll sell it to you from a 55 gallon drum transfered to your own can. If they are a good dealer or distributor, they might, but check to see the "freshness" date on the drum: when it was opened. I have found it much cheaper per gallon this way.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
nykdxer

Post by nykdxer »

thanks I'll check next time I go. I'm buying from a local kawi dealer and I'm sure they all race so this may be a possibility
04 kdx 200
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I don't use it but race gas (I couldn't tell you what kind) runs in the $6+ range here and 91 pump gas is $3 exactly at the moment. One of the guys I work with has a daughter who races womens pro quad in WORCS. She's also gotten in the top 10 of the Vegas to Reno...she was 16 at the time. ;) But anywho, he's got 2 55gal of the stuff at home. 1 is pure race gas and the other is a 50/50mix. I think one of these days I'm going to snag some of the stuff...

My KDX spoos alot. It's not spooing out the SA though...the seals around the exhaust header are bad and it's just shooting out. One of these days I'll get around to cleaning it and sillyconeing that header. Right now the front of my engine is totally black with spoo. :shock: :butthead:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Fix that.....A leak at the exhaust port is also an intake leak of sorts. You WILL eventually fry the exhaust side of your piston.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bmase

Post by bmase »

I agree with Skipro3, that it is not the brand of oil. I believe it to be a

combination of things. My bike spooed but not quite that bad. When I

changed the jetting, that helped. When I changed my pipe, that was the

ticket. I could not solve the problem running the FMF rev pipe. It was

leaking out of the expansion/SA connection, and also spraying out of the

SA and getting all over my really cool riding duds. FMF does not

recommend anything special on jetting changes, which I believe to be

dead wrong. Try different combos. Try what he said and run some

different fuel. Dialing in your bike is half of the fun when you get it right.

What fuel are you using now? You don't want anything where the octane

is too high. I buy 93 octane from Mobil and mix it with either Yamalube

2R or more recently Amsoil Interceptor.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I probably speak for most of the people on this site when I say that I have:
- tried different brands of premix (currently using Amsoil Interceptor).
- tried different premix ratios.
- use 93 octane pump gas.
- use an aftermarket pipe (FMF Gnarly here).
- removed the airbox snorkel.
- replaced the reeds.
- tried an astronomically high number of jetting combinations.
- repacked the S/A numerous times.
- spent untold hours "dialing" in my bike.
...and...

The spoo is still there.

Consider yourself fortunate if you have resolved it, because practically no one else has with the KDX.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
bmase

Post by bmase »

Agree with everything you are saying. Different jetting I have tried produced small results. Oil brand I don't think makes much difference other than the transmission where I have seen a difference in brands. My bike seems to like belray GearSaver.

The bike spooed with the stock pipe. It spooed worse with a FMF rev pipe. But for whatever reason, it has minimal spooge with the PC Works pipe I am running right now. Just a testimonial. Can't explain why. The pipe runs much hotter than the other two, but I don't see how that has an effect. Like you said, I like the end result and going to stick with it. Bike runs great, and has loads more power than the day I bought it stock.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Just get a rag and wipe it off after ridin, plenty of other stuff to monitor
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

For some reason I do not have a spooge problem with my 2002 or 2005 220. I use Iridium plugs which may have something to do with it. I think the plug may be a bit hotter which does not leave behind as much unburned fuel. 02 has an RB mod carb. 05 has airstryker. Watch that your air filter is not over-oiled. This will cause an engine to run rich all through the rpm range. Impossible to properly jet if your filter is clean but clogged with filter oil. IMO, Being consistent with the type of filter you use and the type/amount of oil you put on it is important.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
Im feelin a little wild today.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GATEWAY2-STROKE
2005 KDX220 mine
2003 KDX220 mine(under construction)
1998 KDX220 1/2 Brother-in-laws, soon his own
Dewey
Supporting Member

Post by Dewey »

I agree with skipro3, after you get the jetting/plug right, clean out your pipe and silencer. Silencer will need repacked.

When I bought my bike it was spooing pretty bad, once I got I got it jetted, I pulled my silencer apart and the packing was really bad. I cleaned everything up real good and repacked using new packing and it is staying pretty clean now.

Also keep it cleaned out while riding. When riding in tight woods and rocks where I can't really wind the motor much, I clutch it and bring the rpm up for a few seconds about every 10-15 minutes. This helps clean the plug off and keep the pipe clear of residual gas/oil. This should only be required if you are lugging around a lot though.
Dewey
02 -KDX220
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

that all makes sense. my pipes are fairly new and repacked often so I have not experienced the results of clogged packing. I could see where the added back pressure could case some issues with performance, jetting, and getting a complete burn in the cylinder.
If you run into Heidi, have her look me up in her little black book and give me a call.
2005 KDX220 mine
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'm constantly pulling hills, running my bike in a higher gear and way down low in revs with the Second Sweet Spot

My bike smokes and spoos like crazy. I think if you cut Carvr open his lungs would be all black and gooey from my bike's spoo! :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

So...why doesn't Crvr just pass you and your spoo? In the quest for clean air....?

Or, does it have anything to do with 'herding' you along? :wink:
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

Imagine that....
Crvr, hearding a flock of Wbbns man-slaves mounted on spooging KDX's up ovr Brokeback Mountain....

Nothing but sheer BLISS!!!

brings a tear to my tightee-whitees :lol:
2005 KDX220 mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

RE: 'Consider yourself fortunate if you have resolved it, because practically no one else has with the KDX.'

My KDX ran powder dry and clean as a pin for years.

That dry-n-clean hasn't been so since my air striker install. Have said this other places..but the bike runs so well, I really don't care about a bit-o-drip.

Re: 'why doesn't Crvr just pass you and your spoo?'

If that's an honest question, here's an honest answer.

We don't make up the pics posted here. If you want to even think about passing someone on a 45º sidehill with a 12" wide track..give it a shot!

Granted, it's not that way all the time. I run toluene. It's been noted more'n once (different riders) to be irritating, so..why be in front?

Still, we trade off a fair bit. I'll be happier if he stays off the bean oil! That stuff smells good for awhile. AFTER awhile, I can't breathe, think even less well than I usually do, get dog tired, AND can't see 'fer poop (contact scum).

Yeah..it all sounds like a good time, 'eh?

A harp of mine: Do NOT jet for spoo. That's a big mistake. I've had engine configurations that spooed awful..and by plug reads, was running WAY too lean. Unfortunately, jetting richer made the bike run much worse..but that's another story.

Tune your bike to run the best you can make it run. If there's a resultant drip..don't sweat it.

I'm not talking about effluvient to an extent that it gets the rider behind you...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Still, we trade off a fair bit. I'll be happier if he stays off the bean oil! That stuff smells good for awhile. AFTER awhile, I can't breathe, think even less well than I usually do, get dog tired, AND can't see 'fer poop (contact scum).

Yeah..it all sounds like a good time, 'eh?

Are you sure all that nasty stuff that you've been smelling is limited to the motorcycle? No offense, but one troubleshooting step might include some secretly added Beano to a riding partner's cantene. An inopportune engine backfire could be deadly in a such an environment - be careful out there folks. I saw a man killed that way in a rain ride; his poncho filled up with organic gases that were ignited when a loose and arcing sparkplug wire set them off. It was horrible, to this day his head (and helmet) has yet to be found, what's worse, the environmentalists used that as an excuse to close the trail. :sad:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
TopperHarley
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by TopperHarley »

I think I remember hearing about that incident :mrgreen:
2005 KDX220 mine
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I used to have lots of spoo and found the Amsoil Interceptor oil to help.
If I mix 40:1 - with 4.75 gallons of 93 mobile and a quart of toluene there
is only a slight dry black power.
If I mix 40:1 with 110 torco only, then theres spoo, and a good amount.
The toluene seems to clean it up in my bike, for all it's worth.