I couldn't hold off any longer

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

I couldn't hold off any longer

Post by strider80 »

Carb and head are on their way to RB. After revalving my forks last week my suspension works so good now that the RB carb and head mod were really the last major mods I have not done. I figure why not make the bike all it can be, I just couldn't resist anymore. Getting my tax return helped too!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

You better get some Depends cuz yer gunna shat yer pants when you find the SSS.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: I couldn't hold off any longer

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Carb and head are on their way to RB. After revalving my forks last week my suspension works so good now that the RB carb and head mod were really the last major mods I have not done. I figure why not make the bike all it can be, I just couldn't resist anymore. Getting my tax return helped too!
:drool:
I' right there with ya!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I hope so!
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

It's a beautiful thing:

Thanks Ron! And happy birthday! Scott
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

:drool:
now waiting for my tax refund check :roll: :please:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Bike fired right up, going to give it a try this weekend. Not much chance for tuning though, I am headed to an enduro. I will get a chance to play with the air screw a bit before hand.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

what really does he do, and how much would it cost?
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Wow, another satisfied customer. The bike pulls like a XR400 off the bottom and and screams up top. I am going go back to stock gearing to make 1st gear more usable again. I found myself lugging the bike in a taller gear usually becasue it would pull so nice and smooth off the bottom. I did not even find the SSS yet, as I tried it out for the first time at an enduro:)
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
strider80 wrote:Wow, another satisfied customer. The bike pulls like a XR400 off the bottom and and screams up top. I am going go back to stock gearing to make 1st gear more usable again. I found myself lugging the bike in a taller gear usually becasue it would pull so nice and smooth off the bottom. I did not even find the SSS yet, as I tried it out for the first time at an enduro:)
There'll be yet an additional level of satisfaction when you go looking and find that SSS :supz:
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's going on a couple months, now.

Still just ridin' and smilin'...or have you done some tweaking on it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Bike is riding great, rode a 60 mile enduro and put 110 miles on it at the desert100. I went back to stock gearing, lugs like crazy, makes it easy to pull a taller gear, makes me ride smoother I think. I played with the airscrew a bit, not sure if I found the SSS or not yet, not a "wow there it is" yet. Summer riding in the cascades will start pretty soon when the snow clears in the lower elevations, should give me a chance to play with it some more.

The bike spooges still, doesn't smoke too bad. I may try a 38 pilot for riding in the moutains.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I got a good plug reading today, 5-6 gear on pavement. I will cut the plug apart tomorrow.

I played with the airscrew a bit, seems to run the best at 3+ turns out, I wonder if I need to drop the pilot to a 38.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FWIW: The idea of 'more than 2.5 out, lean the pilot' doesn't apply to modified carbs. A 38 my well be the best choice, but the determination of that is going to be how it runs, NOT the position of the air screw.

Because of the pilot circuit modifications, the adjustment acts more like a fuel screw than an air screw. All of that imo and the result of changing stuff a brazillion times...or so.

Find the SSS. It's there. FROM that, determine which pilot jet gives you the best off-idle response. Of course, a WOT plug chop has nothing to do with that part of the tuning spectrum.
found myself lugging the bike in a taller gear usually becasue it would pull so nice and smooth off the bottom.

That is a large part of what makes Ron's modificatiom work. At one gear up, your ride will be smoother AND faster overall. Less tiring, too.

Changing back to a 13T CSS is likely a good thing to do..at least check it out. With the modification, the 12T does not give you the advantage it did with the carb in OEM form.

Happy tuning!! You will reach the place you are more satisfied than you ever could have been with trying to tune the OEm carb. Your confidence will increase because your bike performs to the point you trust it. In places you used to shift down (and maybe lose traction, maybe just loop the thing) you will be one gear up...and throttle will pull you out.

Have fun!!

Consider the source

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

Well I played with it back and forth from 2.5 turns out, moving it as little as possible each increment while going up a logging road lugging it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I could not tune out the bog, but seemed to ride the best on the trail at about 3 turns, seemed "clean/lean." Do I adjust the bog till it is minimized, but most likely is not gone?

But, overall the thing runs great, lugs like crazy, rips up top. My buddy that rides a XR400 rode it today, "wow, this thing has balls, I almost looped it," that made me smile.

So, find the SSS, by minimizing bog, then maybe change the pilot from there? How much throttle should I grab when testing for it?
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The SSS is less a matter of 'bog' than it is response. There should be no 'bog' at all. Look for that response in the off-idle to 1/2 throttle area.

Where you will really notice the shine is the pull in 3rd in the 1/2 and lower area. The off-idle response follows.

Try a 38..see if it works better overall.

Another aspect of the SSS working..when you would normally HAVE to downshift, more throttle will pull you. Not a screaming, wheelieing hit, but PULL.

The 'bog' idea is troublesome..as you can probably always make it happen. Jetted perfectly, in too high a gear, a full hand of throttle under load is NOT going to get you moving. Not on the 200 anyway.

That said, Ron's modification is MUCH more forgiving in that situation. It will pull..again..not a snap that will break your neck...but will get you out of spots you thought not at all possible with a twist of gas in that gear before.

Bothell...Hhhmmm...could look it up...but instead I'll say, 'C'mon down for a green ride this M-Day!!!

It's only gas in your rig!! Room to stay here. We could ride from staging areas 20 or so miles from here for several days and not see the same place even close to twice.

...hanging on and cussing as you would be...you wouldn't NOTICE the same place anyway...but it's still a fact!!

FlyingW is coming. He PROMISED!!! :wink:

M0rie's due for another trip over this-a-way...the slacker!!

Wibby is always here............ :rolleyes:

Consider the source

strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I think I was being too tough on the bog thing, too slow, too high a gear, too much throttle. I will try a more reasonable speed and gear next time I am out to find the SSS.

Thanks for the invite! But I already have a weekend plan. Riding in the Tri-cities on Saturday morning, waterskiing the columbia on Saturday afternoon, then headed to the Sasquach music festival on Sunday, should be fun!

Let me know next time you guys are headed out for a weekend of riding and I will try to make it down, sounds like fun :supz:
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)
Flying W

Post by Flying W »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:FlyingW is coming. He PROMISED!!!
I couldn't get permission to come out and play. :sad:

Something about fossil fuels and mouths to feed. I'd ask her to repeat herself but that would prove to her I wasn't listening!! :mrgreen:
strider80
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by strider80 »

I installed a 38pj, cleaned up the spooge a bit, runs strong.
2005 KTM 250EXC
2000 KDX200 (gone)