Oh WOW!

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh WOW!

Post by Jeb »

'Got the head/carb back from Ron and installed. I literally only had several minutes to give it a shot - almost didn't cause it was near dark and raining. Takes a little more to kick her over - hmm, COMPRESSION! 'Let her warm up for a while then took off down the gravel drive . . .

YES!! The power increase is immediately noticeable. 'Stong as a horse. Getting the front wheel off the ground - no sweat (I didn't mean to the first time :shock: )

This mod is fantastic!!

Man, this bike's gonna be a blast. 'Gonna have to find somewhere to get some more saddle time.

Ron, my hat's off to you - your work and service are a class act!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Awesome! Did you go with the modded carb or the Airstryker? I'm looking forward to the day when I get that done.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Along with replacing the spagetti forks it is the mod that gave me the biggest 'grin factor'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
thebleakness wrote:Awesome! Did you go with the modded carb or the Airstryker? I'm looking forward to the day when I get that done.
I got the modded carb.

I'll give some more details after I get a chance to really put it through some paces. My description didn't come close to giving justice.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

how much did it cost?
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
BlackStormy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by BlackStormy »

>|<>QBB<
crazyaboutriding wrote:how much did it cost?
Pricing is on his website, but I think modifying the carb is $165 and the head work is $40. Extras like a new air screw are of course extra.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

'Rode it some more today, fellas. It was cold, snowy, windy, and I had no place to go but my gravel driveway but I couldn't help it . . .

Ended up turning the A/S in a little for the colder temps. Once warmed the bike ran so well. The increase in power delivery is unmistakeable and quite linear: acceleration is very proportional to throttle opening. I hunkered over the handlebars, shifting my weight forward as best I could and gave it a fistfull of throttle - while it was already moving a little - and it near instantaneously plowed a furrow in the gravel AND the front wheel lifted. YOWZA!! It still rides easy, too - I can still nurse it along nice and slow. I thought my throttle response was pretty good before - now it's superb.

I pretty much froze myself but it was worth it . . .

I am so looking forward to putting this thing through the paces and searching for that second sweet spot.

Geez, I'm rambling about it and I haven't even really rode the thing much at all!!! :mrgreen:

CLICK FOR PICS!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

I gotta get my carb sent off soon man, sounds like it really improved the overall power on your bike.
I really want to send my head off too, when you do this, does it require a new piston (topend job)? I have a 96 KDX 200 and it still has the factory piston in it :shock:. It needs to be rebuilt. I am pretty good mechanically but have never rebuilt a bike and don't even know where to start.
I wonder how much the carb and head mod help the 200 compared to the 220?
Jeb, what part of kentucky are ya from bud?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
jowens66 wrote:I wonder how much the carb and head mod help the 200 compared to the 220?
More than I imagined it could put it that way. :partyman: Just do it, you won't be disappointed...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

Thats what i like to hear KDXer. I didn't know if the carb mod would help that much since it is only being bored out one more millimeter, but thats not the only thing Mr. Black does to the carbs. Then i hear the head mod is really good too. Just gotta learn how to do a dang top end job on my bike. Is the wiesco piston the way to go, or should i got with a pro-x? thanks
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
jowens66 wrote:Thats what i like to hear KDXer. I didn't know if the carb mod would help that much since it is only being bored out one more millimeter, but thats not the only thing Mr. Black does to the carbs. Then i hear the head mod is really good too. Just gotta learn how to do a dang top end job on my bike. Is the wiesco piston the way to go, or should i got with a pro-x? thanks
What is it that tells you that you need a top end? I'd tend to think that you're on the right track - the bike is 10 years old - but if it's been barely/hardly ridden . . . but you don't need to change the piston just for the sake of having Ron do his work.

Get a service manual if you don't already have it. You can get an online version for a year (link is top right of the site) - I did and it works out great.

The manual will give you the tolerances that you can check to establish the need for the piston change. And it will guide you through a top end change.

I changed mine last Sept/Oct (it is a 220 and OEM piston can be flawed, it wasn't a wear issue) and I put in a Wiseco. But that's a different situation - start a new thread in General Q&A on Wiseco vs. Pro-x

I don't consider myself mechanically inclined so if you are you'll be fine. When you get ready to make the change you'll get lots of help here, just ask :grin:

I live north of Louisville in La Grange. How 'bout you? If you're somewhat close I've got a feeling that there's a few KDX'ers in the general area that will end up ridin' together. Photoguy and Rick live within about an hour of where I do and a ride is bound to happen this spring!!

CLICK FOR PICS!
jowens66

Post by jowens66 »

I live in Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniels Whiskey. Ill look at the manual. Thanks for the info. It may not need a new piston, my brother bought it new and he hasn't rode it much at all.