Pro Circuit pipe

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
crazybrit

Pro Circuit pipe

Post by crazybrit »

I stopped by Ron's place and dropped off my carb. He did an A1 job.

I'd picked up a used FMF torque/woods pipe but he said that was a bad choice for the modded carb and I should get the FMF rev/desert pipe instead even though I ride mostly tight single track.

Would tbe Pro Circuit Platinum work as well with the RB modded carb, or should I keep looking for an FMF?

AFAIK the Platinum equates to the rev and the Platinum2 to the torque.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Go for the platinum pipe. They're pretty equal pipes. The pro circuit may give more power down low, and will fit right out of the box, therefore, it might be the best pipe in this situation.

Braap.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No need to keep looking...

I'll bet'cha the shop down the street can get you one by the end of the week!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

He's right, your dealer can have one quickly, and it is wise you keep both pipes. Get ready to throw down a couple bills too.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Why not try it with the pipe you have? If you don't like it or think you are missing (and wanting) some more top end then by all means purchase a rev pipe.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

>|<>QBB<
IdahoCharley wrote:Why not try it with the pipe you have? If you don't like it or think you are missing (and wanting) some more top end then by all means purchase a rev pipe.
Because Ron told me to my face that it was a bad idea and I should get a rev instead. Unless there is a good reason, I tend to what people tell me. Plus I figure he knows way more than I.

I've still not found one for trade, but I did go get the small dent blown out figuring it might make it more desirable. Clearly if the woods worked well with the RB mod it would make life a lot easier, or at least KDX life.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

PC Platnum II = close comparison to FMF Woods.

PC Platnum II not close comparison to FMF Desert.

I have no opinion/knowledge of Ron's recommendation.

I do know that the mods with the PC Plat. II on the '03 KDX220 were a vast improvement in overrev and overall power characteristics. I'm betting that it would have been even better with the FMF Rev (Desert) pipe.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I run the fmF KG-35 (torque/woods) with the RB mods and still get appox 130KM/H top speed with 13/50 gearing. I will test it on my GPS next time out. You have me interested now, I wouldn't mind grabbing a FmF REV off eBay. Does anyone know what the going rate in US$ is appoximately for a FmF REV/DESERT/KG-30 ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

KDXer wrote:You have me interested now, I wouldn't mind grabbing a FmF REV off eBay. Does anyone know what the going rate in US$ is appoximately for a FmF REV/DESERT/KG-30 ??
I just don't get eBay. I'll see used ones go for like $30-40 less than new ones and they have to pay shipping. I've never seen one go for a decent price. It's like falling off a log to get 10% off from your local dealer, or 10% off from RockyMountain plus free shipping.

I dunno. I just took the carb into Ron (he's like 4 miles from my house plus I needed some machine work done on my KTM) and he was unequivocal that I needed to sell the woods and get a rev.

I thought a few people here were involved in the development of the carb mod, CC maybe? Perhaps they can opine a bit.
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Heh, I saw that Brad "CC" was mentioned on rb's site. He must be involved!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

He certainly was... :prayer: I'm sure he has run both FmF pipes at some stage but prefers the REV/KG-30/DESERT pipe.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Yeah, I'm starting to like my rev profile pipe. If things seem sleepy down low, I'll throw in some boyesens and go RB.
crazybrit

Post by crazybrit »

I just posted pics of my torque/woods pipe in the ForSale forum. Just in case anyone wants to trade for their desert/rev.
toddco

Post by toddco »

Ron said the same thing to me. The REV pipe will see alot more benefit with the MOD. then the woods. West Oregon riding, tight single track with the REV no complaints. :grin:
Heres to us,and those like US! Dame few left.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:
I do know that the mods with the PC Plat. II on the '03 KDX220 were a vast improvement in overrev and overall power characteristics. I'm betting that it would have been even better with the FMF Rev (Desert) pipe.
As many know, I bought Robb's KDX220R (modded carb, squish and Boyesen reeds-- I put in VF3 reeds). QC has been kicking himself for putting a torque pipe on it instead of the rev pipe. Everyone told him it was the wrong way to go. But my tests yesterday paint a different picture. Robb got it right the first time with the torque pipe in my opinion.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4387

The torque pipe on the 220 increases the low to mid-range torque over my new FMF Gnarly Desert rev pipe. The rev pipe increase the revs by 1,000 RPM or more in the lower gears but its ability to pull those revs in the upper gears falls so short that it barely equals the torque pipe in top speed (70mph at 100F, 13/50 sprockets).

The trade off of torque for revs is unlikeley to be worth it in the tight single track that I mostly ride.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

I like the desert over the woods pipe on my 220 much improved mid to top with no bottom loss. this is comparing the FMF pipes. If you compared all three, desert,woods and PC pipe out side dimensions from end to end about every two inches.I bet the PC would fall in the middle of the two FMF pipes.
the desert has a bigger OD than the woods. of course I dont like the smooth guttless power of the stock bike. I have to run with the wolfs they all seem to be orange or blue these days. I could not walk off and dust a 250 in the straights until I put the desert pipe on.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

Given your comparison between the FMF rev pipe being better than the FMF torque pipe and my comparison with the PC torque pipe and the FMF rev pipe, it appears that the PC Plat II is one heck of a pipe. It matches the FMF rev in the upper gears and beats both FMF pipes in the low end.

Rick
I done KX-ed QuailChaser's KDX220R