250?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

250?

Post by tha_reids »

I've got RB'd carb envy.
I know its advertized as a 200/220 mod. Also know I've got a 38mm carb so boring would probably not be needed. I was thinking divider plate, needle, thumb AS, and have the pilot circuit re-worked as needed.

Anyone heard of RB working on 250's?

Bike is a 92 250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm sure Ron does the mods to a variety of different carbs so you may well be in luck. I have heard he does KTM and Yamaha stuff, PWK and FCR so fingers crossed.
Rons website wrote:Most all throttle cable controlled slide valve carbs can be modified
:mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I'd be very interested to see what Ron's magic would do to your 38mm and 250 combo.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It probably would be bored anyway. The bore makes up for some (if not all +) of the displaced volume of the installed plate.

You need to be the 250 guinea!!!! :wink: Get the rest of the 250'ers on board.

Let us know how you like it!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

What I need to do is make a educated decision and not one motivated by impulse and peer pressure. :grin:

I'm the type of person who gets extreme satisfaction performing my own mods. Of course, after studying the subject matter at hand as to not be ignorant.
Lately I've been reading about changing the port timing. I'd probably puss out and only remove casting flaws and perform some light smoothing while leaving the timing alone. Don't know exactly what this bike would benifit from. Well, other than the forks being 86'd!

I would also like to leave any carb work to the pros if I choose that route. I remember enlarging my main jet on my first dirt bike when I was only 9. I pulled out a drill bit and went to town. It actually didn't ruin my jet and the bike ran well. Luck.

Maybe we can talk radonc73 or rick into being the guinea('s).

I know there has to be some tricked out 250's some where.
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

I think Ron said he has been under the weather just wait he will chime in with the info you need on the carb mod.
06 200H

GALLERY!
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Hope so! :shock:
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Radonc 73 was wondering the same thing :grin: I am not to that stage of upgrading yet. The carb not sticking is waiting for its second long test, the suspension is probably next. I hadn't even heard of the RB carb mod before this site, so it wasn't on the long term list like the suspension. I would be inerested to see what the mod does.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...waiting for its second long test...

Meaning, it's had one?

Re: 'I'd probably puss out and only remove casting flaws and perform some light smoothing while leaving the timing alone.'

Don't mess with the port edges of a plated cylinder....right? You DID say, '..while leaving the timing alone.' That would mean NOT messing with the edges...but, just in case some words don't mean some things.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

Ya CC, I took it for about a 45 minute joyride in some fields with no problem but that is far from a long term test. No hills and very few places to get WOT. That is the real test. Until then it is just sitting, resting, and waiting to be unleashed onto the world. :wink:
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
tha_reids
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by tha_reids »

Unleash yourself, radonc73! :mrgreen:

canyncarvr,
No timing changes at all. No modifications where the port meets the cylinder. Ports would not be raised or lowered at all.
If I ever did try anything drastic, I would pick me up a donor cylinder for sure. Only if I'm willing to take the chance of turning it into an expensive decorative flower pot.

Ya know, if I wanted my KDX to run like KX, I would just buy one :grin:
I just want it to be efficient.

Does anyone know if there is any negative effects to smoothing the beveled edge where the ports meets the cylinder wall? Not the cylinder wall itself. Don't actually think there would be any positive effects either just curious. Trying to set boundaries for myself
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I've been wanting him to do a 36mm PWK for my 250 for quite a while. One of these days I'll quit spending money on kart racing, and get it done. :roll:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project