Modified Air Strikers only...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ssshhh...it's a secret......

That's why there is a sign on the freeway as big as a billboard that says, 'Welcome to the State of Jefferson'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And we are the "Land of Lincoln"! :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

Doesn't CC's avatar look like owen wilson w/ really dark skin?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Ssshhh...it's a secret......

That's why there is a sign on the freeway as big as a billboard that says, 'Welcome to the State of Jefferson'
Not to mention the "State of Jefferson" scenic highway...
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Back on topic here.

CC - I ran the KDX with the RB modified AS carb (150MJ/CEK-3/40PJ/AS 1.125ish) for the first time yesterday. Spooge analysis - mimial spooge - about 40ish miles or 1.5 gallons of fuel on single/double track and road. First ride of the year for me. Looks like it would just leave a small ring around the tip on the Euro tip (used) Turbine Core II silencer with no drool UNTIL on the road portion of the ride. Ended up with about 3/4-1 inch long drool drip on the final 3-4 ish miles ride back to the truck. Not unexpected since the bike seemed just slightly rich at part throttle low load conditions combined with the observation that Amsoil Dominator oil seems to drool a little more than Amsoil Interceptor and some other oil premixes.

Comparsion - My initial anaylsis is slightly less than with stock 35 mm carb w/7.0 cut slide. Disclaimer - used turbine core II silencer's first ride - I did not change the packing because the stinger end and the exhaust tip both looked dry when I received the silencer.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm going to update my post. Currently running RB Air Stryker Carb with 1369LS-3 PJ 38, AS ~ 1.25 - 1.75, MJ 150 this is with a PC2 with a TC2, adjusted squish and 607 reeds.

I tried various settings with the CEK needle and finally settled on a similar Honda needle. It is the same as the CEK (one clip leaner) and with the addition of a short taper right off the straight diameter. This allows the carb to be set for crisp response and still has very good starting power on steep hills allowing for less reving of the engine upon take-off. Slight four stroking when cruising with no load, pipe stays hot, no loading up coming down trails, etc.

Ran this set-up with Clutchcove on a 50+ mile trail ride last Saturday and then again with my youngest boy on Monday for a 50+ mile ride. Saturday was ~ 75 and 5500 - 7000' and Monday was about ~ 80 and 5500 - 8200'. I did lower the float about 2mm after Saturday's ride but otherwise set up was left the same.

Spooge factor was UP! This is slightly more than I had with the stock carb jetted with the same needle (at 3.5 if anybody wants to know). Maybe due to the secondary taper on the LS needle but who cares???? The KDX now pulls very well from low rpm has a nice strong mid-range power band and then pulls into a somewhat weaker top-end range. About 4 gallons of fuel used over the two rides and I had a solid spooge ring around the discharge hole from the silencer and a run down to the drain screw on the silencer and two drips on the bike. One on caliper and one on axle combined with some light spatter on the rear fender. Both were of the wipe-off no smug variety of spooge.

While I did mess around a little Monday looking for the sss, I did not find it. I do notice though that I'm running significantly leaner than most of you are with the modified AS Carb needle clip wise - maybe that has something to do with finding the sss. Or maybe since I was close to 1.75 out on the AS Monday the sss did not exist at the time since I get the idea it is roughly in the range of 1.5 - 2.00 the normal setting and the effects of the AS seem to drop off after about 2.75 turn open.

I'm willing to add my name to those now who endorse the modified AS carbs relative to the KDX 200 anyway. I did notice significantly more low end torque on the trail with the modified carb. :supz: :supz:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The SSS is more likely in the range of 2.5- to 2.5+

I take '..1.5 - 2.00 the normal setting' to be maybe an additive factor? In which case, a 'Yes' would do.

I could look it up...but haven't.

The slopes on the 1369?

Re: Significantly leaner clip-wise

Considering a multi-taper needle and 8000'el., I don't know that there would be any comparative factors.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!