Porting

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my cylinder is ported and has been engraved by whoever did it. The mechanic says it's only been done 'a little'. It's a 220 and runs fine, plenty of power, especially low down. However I have nothing to compare it with.

The bike is very thirsty when running on open roads, where it drinks more than a mates YZ250. Does this sound normal? Does porting effect fuel consumption?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It surely can. A KDX will also run sickly rich, still be smooth, and not foul plugs, while guzzling fuel. How's your jetting?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
99sr220
Supporting Member

Post by 99sr220 »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:It surely can. A KDX will also run sickly rich, still be smooth, and not foul plugs, while guzzling fuel. How's your jetting?
The jetting is the next thing I need to look at, the bike had been poorly maintained and I've just got it running well. From memory it has a 152 main jet and a 42 slow jet. I'm riding from 20 - 400ft in the tropics were it's very hot and humid.

It seems strange that it drinks more than a YZ250.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

FRP ported my bike. From what I can tell, did a great job too. No overheating, pinging, etc here.
'00 KDX 220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Slick_Nick wrote:FRP ported my bike. From what I can tell, did a great job too. No overheating, pinging, etc here.
He sure did a crap job on carvrs
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I knife edged my intake ports like I did on my victor jr intake on my 5.0 don't know if id call it porting but it didn't hurt anything I can tell on my blaster or kdx.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Nah, cleanup stuff like that is most likely fine. Just don't polish anything. The size/shape of the ports is what's critical.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Had some funky looking casting flash and what not so I broke out the dremel and cleaned it up.but that was it I'm by no means qualified for major porting on these unfamiliar engines.I've done some old SBF heads that turned out well but there's so much info on exactly what to it went pretty easy.I now at the least gasket match all my engines prior to assembly but again those are SBF and I'm quite comfortable with them and confident of what I'm doing this is my first kdx so I'm not in a hurry to reinvent the wheel.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Porting on a 2-cycle should in no way be compared to a 4-cycle, FYI. Cyl porting on a 2-cycle is like the camshaft. You can generally go to town on cast iron v-8 heads.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

True.so just out of curiousity who does actual porting on these engines that actually yeilds performance and isn't just some bull **** claims?I looked mine over with a fine tooth comb while it was apart and there's not much so whatever is done looks like there's NT much room for failure.either get it right or you've ruin.ed it and got a price of scrap.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The stock porting on a KDX is good. Just like a camshaft, it's give/take. If you REALLY want to wake up the top end and are willing to sacrifice bottom this is done easily. People have reported Eric Gorr's 'better everywhere' port job is good, and EG will admit that not much is done to the KDX cyl in particular. When it really comes down to it I don't understand a 2-cycle to this level. One of the best 2-cycle kart engine builders in the country (has made a billet engine from scratch) once said "A 4-cycle is an air pump to the point that the laws of physics identically apply. A piped 2-cycle has more in common with a saxophone than an air compressor"
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Yea definately not like v8.