I'm a Believer!

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I'm a Believer!

Post by 80elkster »

Last week I received my carb (93' KDX200) back from RB Designs (Ron) and went riding on Saturday. I've gotta say I just laughed my head off and was grinning from ear to ear. I rode about the first ten miles with the air screw set at the normal position (about 1 turn out) and was impressed with the awesome throttle response off of idle. I rode most of the time in a gear higher than usual. So with all I've read about the Second Sweet Spot (SSS) I just had to find it and try it out. I found it at 2 5/8 turns out. I was just amazed at the motors ability to just pull even down to just above idle. There were many hills that I've climbed in past rides where I would end in first gear screaming the motor and fanning the clutch to get to the top, and with Ron's modifications to the carb, I was able to pull those same hills in 3rd gear ending up at just above idle as I crested the top. I was shocked, amazed and just shaking my head thinking to myself the bike shouldn't even be running at that moment. Awesome just totally Awesome!!!
With a little more riding I found that I could leave the bike in a higher gear and not fuss with shifting as much, and ride a faster pace picking the best/fastest line through the trails, between roots just wide enough for the tires to fit through, around rocks and between trees. I was able to concentrate more on the best line and found myself riding at a much faster pace than I have before.
Ron also mentioned that he modified the Jet block height raising it up 2mm higher to match the 95' and newer carbs. This lets me use the CEX series needles rather than the CGX needles.
Next weekend I'm gonna try the DEK needle at both air screw settings.
I'd like to just say that I recommend this mod to everyone, but really I think anyone who hasn't done it or doesn't plan too is just plain foolish. Until you have this mod you don't know what your missing out on, This is one mod you've got to have!!! In the past I was thinking of moving on to the Orange side, but now keeping my beautiful green complexion seems the right thing to do!!!!!!!!
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Good report - Thats the same exact experience I had the first time I rode with the RB carb on my 89. Its a heck of a difference! :supz: :prayer:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

And me! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I remember the exact place and the exact time I first set and found the SSS. It was the 3rd try starting at 2 1/2 and ending at 2 5/8ths out, and then that amazing feeling of the SSS and the 3rd gear roll-on. I said F-------------------K!!!! Which is short for "Finally I found the SSS and it's really trick"! Yeah, thats sorta what I said. I even geared my CS and sprocket just so I can stay mostly in 3rd. Not havin a RB carb on a KDX is inexcusable.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
grump99

Re: I'm a Believer!

Post by grump99 »

>|<>QBB<
80elkster wrote:I was shocked, amazed and just shaking my head thinking to myself the bike shouldn't even be running at that moment. Awesome just totally Awesome!!!
I agree. I spent some time the other day just trying to get my bike to stall. It wouldn't!!! If I ever lose momentum on a hill, I just drop the throttle back to about 1/4 and hold it there, the bike will tractor up anything. A little more throttle and she starts to point straight up :mrgreen:
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

you guys with this 3rd gear 1/4 throttle hill climbing. doesnt make sense. im rethinking my rev pipe, maybe ron's carb work is cooler. btw my name is ron too!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It is surreal... it doesn't make sense and I had a hard time believing it so I kept trying it again and again.... it just tanks right up hills in third and about 1200 rpm! Amazing...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Elkster:

What do you really think? :wink:

The difference in the bike's performance SSS/no SSS is amazing.

You will find yourself riding considerably faster as you say, in a gear up from where you usually ride. That works for corners, too. You can cover a good bit more ground at a fairly even speed in 3/4th gear as opposed to shifiting 2/3 and trying to accelerate too much on straight bits of trail. The cornering part works better just 'cuz of the smoothness of the ride, less yanking the throttle around, grabbing brakes and such. You end up with better control in the corners, so you end up going faster.

Cool!!!

Have you got KX forks on yet?

heh heh heh......

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Corner speed wins every time....Well, except in drag racing. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I'll ride third gear in the woods. Before RB, I would be switch hitting 2nd to 3rd & 3rd to 2nd.............
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

Carver's Question
>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Elkster:

Cool!!!

Have you got KX forks on yet?

heh heh heh......
Haven't quite gone that far yet, my 93 has the original blue USD forks with Gold Valves and Fredette springs and at this point I'm not complaining. Perhaps someday in the future???
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I'm a Believer!

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
80elkster wrote:Next weekend I'm gonna try the DEK needle at both air screw settings.

This was awhile back.

Well?

Consider the source

80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

The weather up here in Seattle parts has not been cooperating to get back out to the woods and try the DEK, it has been installed though. Also I have a confession to make, I sold my quad (400ex) and found an orange 300exc to add to my two wheeled herd. So I'm at a quandry on which to ride first. It'll probably be the 00 300 katoomer to see if I made a reasonable decision. I will say that I have no intention of ever getting rid of "The Big Gulp" affectionately my KDX. My son came up with that name when comparing the gas tank of his 05 KDX200 to my 93.
So please don't rebuke me for liking orange things. My El Camino has an orange and kawasaki green engine I think the colors look quite nice together! As soon as the newness wears off I'll get back on ole Big Gulp to try the DEK :lol:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

When you find the punkin to be an underpowered weenie, you'll be back.

..just kidding!

Consider the source

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

"the weather up there in Seattle" Ha! I fart in your general direction. Come back here and I shall taunt you second time! Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now Go away you English Ka-niggets!

:mrgreen:

I talked to my son every day cuz he still lives in Snohomish (where I once took deep roots...Go Panthers!) Any ways, I don't miss that weather a'tall! Nor the traffic, nor the abondoned cars.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'The bluest skies you never seen are in Seattle......'

Isn't it, 'Go AWAY or I shall taunt you a second time!'

Maybe that was poetic licentiousness....

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper!

For those uneducated amongst us.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 07:37 pm Nov 30 2006, edited 3 times in total.

Consider the source

bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Yes it was...the um poetic licenstivitynous whatever thing. Now I'm off to build a large wooden badger.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:When you find the punkin to be an underpowered weenie, you'll be back.

..just kidding!
Somehow I don't think underpowered will ever be used in the same sentence with the 300exc, maybe overpowered?
Oh and by the way someone must be letting off big stinkers and quoting Monte Python. I think they are just jealous!! :mrgreen:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Puhleeze!

It's Monty Python.

I may well be letting off big stinkers, but jealousy has nothing to do with it.

I've talked to way too many people that bit on the 'cool, neat, wow' factor of bikes like the 380 Punkin, 450CRF that have said, 'Big mistake! I wish I had one of those (pointing to my lil pony). I don't know what I was thinking. WAY too much power for the woods.'

etc

etc

and furthermore more etc.

But...you were likely just kidding anyway.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not of the 'Mine is great, yours stinks!' mentality. If you (or anyone else) wants to ride a 300, a 380 or a KX500...you are welcome to it. If you like'em, great! I'm happy for you! You can ride a Kaw MachIII in the woods if you wanna.

That's what makes this such a great country!! You can disagree with me, or have a different point of view!!

Now...(that said) Take back your remark or I'll sue you for a Brazillion dollars becasue of the deep emotional pain you caused!!

:wink:

See? It is a great country, 'eh? :roll:

Let us all know how you like the Great Punkin!

Consider the source

TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

WHAT ABOUT REEDS ???

Post by TWMOODY »

I have a new KDX 200 2005 leftover and am planning to get the RB head and carb mod but Im not seeing any mention of reeds.
I have just ordered a Boysen rad valve for my bike and hope to get to try
it before we have 5 feet of snow.
So far I am disapointed with my new ride as I also have a 1987 KX 200
that will smoke the new one with no problem and it has no mods at all.
The new bike also fouled out 5 br8e plugs before I put in br7e's and
started mixing at 40:1(klotz 50 synthetic)
Im new on here and the site looks pretty cool.
Any thoughts fom anyone?? :?