Not a KDX but opinions/help needed...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Not a KDX but opinions/help needed...

Post by KDXer »

What do you think has caused this damage ?? Is it safe or practical to run it as is ?? BTW Its a YZ80 head. Any help appreciated.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Looks like a leaky head gasket. Water damage.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I wouldn't run it like that. Time for a new head and gaskets. What does the piston look like? Might need a whole top end job.

***edit*** BTW why is this in the RB section?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

RB is the resident head expert so I figured he'd more likely see it here. I presummed he has seen his fair share of heads and may know the cause.

Piston and cylinder to be measured soon but they both look decent, ie. no visible scores on bore or damage to piston..

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You sure that a broken ring or locator pin did not bang around in the chamber for a minute or two? New bike to you? First time you had the head off?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
GS

Post by GS »

Looks like my old 350 Chevy after pieces of the top rings moved up the sides of the piston (fragmented bits) and strolled from cylinder to cyl. beating the crap out of my piston tops. Left the heads(cast iron) unscathed. KayDee, is that corrosion or mechanical impact? Get out your magnifying glass!! :shock:
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

I have seen this so many times especially with the Yamaha YZ 80's....

It either lost a bottom end or scattered a piston, any or all of this destruction will pepper the top of the piston and head. The pock marks on the head can be cleaned up, but it may be cheaper to buy a new head.

It sounds like the cylinder has been replaced and other damage, but the head was re-used.

Ron

[/list]
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Thanks Ron exactly the info I was after. It one of my mates little bikes and it's got bugger all compression so I've pulled it down to suss it out. Cheers all... Trev...

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|QBB<[/url]
GS wrote:Looks like my old 350 Chevy after pieces of the top rings moved up the sides of the piston (fragmented bits) and strolled from cylinder to cyl. beating the crap out of my piston tops. Left the heads(cast iron) unscathed. KayDee, is that corrosion or mechanical impact? Get out your magnifying glass!! :shock:
Well to me it looks more like some weird kind of corrosion but what do I know.

I tried to get some clearer pics.

GS

Post by GS »

Looks mechanical to my squinty eyes, perhaps occurring some time ago. Probably not a potential point-of-failure defect, but whether to replace or not would depend(for ME anyway) on the reasonable availability of another serviceable part.
Let us know if more info comes to light
Greg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That damage appears to be by running extremely lean. It is melted aluminum.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I agree with RBD. Something came apart and rattled around in the combustion chamber before the engine was stopped. Who ever owned the bike R&R the damage and reused the head.

When you melt a piston there is a hole in the piston and a few flakes of aluminum in the exhaust tract and lower end.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

HOw can a bike run with a top end like that??????
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Anyway... it's funked up. Replace it you cheap bastage! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

interesting how I get a "party poker" pop-up after looking at those pics. Maybe they'll pay you Ad money and you can buy a new head?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:interesting how I get a "party poker" pop-up after looking at those pics. Maybe they'll pay you Ad money and you can buy a new head?
:shock: :oops: Uhoh your on to me !! :lol:

It is going to be replaced but it would also be good to know what caused the damage in the first place. The piston has a few small marks and the bore is good. I'll post pics of the piston and see what you guys think.

Cheers,
Trev...

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

OK since I got busted with my Poker scam :razz: you will have to click the link to see the pics. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

CROSS HATCHING EVIDENT
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9382/img3017hz0.jpg
CROSS HATCHING EVIDENT AGAIN (bit blurry)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6480/img3018vn7.jpg
PISTON DAMAGE
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9972/img3020hu5.jpg
PISTON DAMAGE (closer)
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1852/img3021ez5.jpg

GS

Post by GS »

Something hard, beatin up that soft aluminum. Top ring still there? Insufficient end gap will produce similar results. (Now, how did I know that?)
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It only has one ring and yup its there. Some slight signs of blow-by.