Understanding the SSS

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Understanding the SSS

Post by KDXer »

Well after very minimal riding since receiving my RB Airstriker I am finally commited to finding and understanding the SSS. I have read all the threads on how to find it and what to look/feel for so hopefully I should be able to find it. What does it actually do, does it richen up the bottom end ?? Just trying to understand how it does what it does.

Cheers,
Trev...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Sorry to bother your thread KDee but ... what is the SSS ? :blink:
1981 KDX 175
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Second Sweet Spot
Not to be confused with the G-Spot
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

Thanks a lot GH !

That would be why my gf asked me to stop searching for a second sweet spot.

Whut! Sorry if having just one is not enough ..... :lol: :supz:
1981 KDX 175
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Finding the SSS for me was doing the 3rd gear roll on. Go slower than you would normally go in 3rd then roll on the throttle. It will not bog and will pull strong and long off idle even though the RPM is a little low. Another telltale sign for me was a rich crackle in the first part of the pipe from being too rich. At 2 1/2 out it would crackle (pop) but no snap...anyways the crackle was only on throttle closed decel and would go completely away at 2 5/8 out depending on outside temps. The 3rd gear roll on was very strong at this point too.
What does it do? I think due to the overlapping of the pilot/needle/main jet circuits, along with the increased air signal being felt due to the new slide cut and the divider plate and the notch of the needle seat area, there is now a place where the AS can be taken out about double the distance and the whole thing balances out again vs the stock 1 1/4 out. Only here the balance is near perfect or more perfect because the SSS is leaner (more air through the AS) and the circuits are all working together using this new amount of air which is perfect.
Last edited by bradf on 06:51 am Jun 28 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers Brad. :supz: Makes sense. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Yeah, but Actarus still wants to know about the G-Spot :wink: :partyman:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'Finding the SSS for me was doing the 3rd gear roll on. Go slower than you would normally go in 3rd then roll on the throttle. It will not bog and will pull strong and long off idle even though the RPM is a little low.'

Well said.

There are changes to lower throttle ranges in lower gears, but the telltale for me is the 3rd gear pull!

You get the drift of what a 'wide ratio' tranny is about the time you are using 3rd and 4th...they are pretty far apart. Without the SSS, that separation in gearing is a problem.

With the much increased pull you get from the better circuit transitions, the SSS will have you IN those gears more often AND they will work very well.

You will easily feel the difference up to 1/2 throttle or so. I have no postulate for it myself. There does indeed seem to be a circuit overlap thing happening.

...OR....it's simply FM!

After you get yours fine tuned...go BACK to the 'normal' AS setting. It sucks, huh?! :shock:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!