R&B questions.

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
the trail rider

R&B questions.

Post by the trail rider »

I need to figure out how to get a woods pipe. I got the desert rode it once and didn't really like it for my style and where I ride. but before I even think about switching yet I am going to put in a new piston, play with the jetting, and possibly regear it, and if I still don't like it, I was thinking about the carb mod and head mod from R&B. for those of you who have one or the other or both R&B mods, how and where did it affect your power In conjunction with your woods or desert pipe on your kdx. just looking to see what it does and where it gives me more power. just for reference I have a kdx 220.
rollerman

Post by rollerman »

i have an 03 220 with a gnarly woods pipe 12 toooth front sprocket very happy with setup i will be going with the rb carb and head soon .bike is jetted good and pulls like tractor i ride in new hampshire trails
03 kdx 220 mine
05 pw 80 son
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

In my opinion, owners of 220's should make a choice on if they're gonna leave the motor stock, or modify it. If you leave it stock, jet it right and have a nice day.

If you modify it, the first thing that should be done is the RB carb and head mod. Everything else builds on top of those key things. The head mod is so important to the performance, that I feel like a moron for not doing it a year ago. It also doesn't make much sense to jet it if you're going to do the mod. Just send it in and tell Ron what your conditions are, and what other mods you have. His jetting is VERY close when he sends it back.

Rons mods are way beyond the other stuff you can do to the bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

I know that the carb improves response and power everywhere, and I know that the head mod increases in compression. where does the head mod increase power? what does each do for the bike and how does the bike run and so on with both mods. I also have the convienience of living just 20 miles from rons shop. I know the prices for the carb mod are 165, with shipping and handling and the head mod is 40 with shipping and handling, I wonder what he would charge me If I brought the carb and head straight to him.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The carb makes everything better. The head mill made a huge difference in low to mid range. My bike was already very torquey, and now it feels a ton stronger where it was already strong. I think I feel a small improvement at high rpm, but not much. I think I'd like mine a lot more with a rev pipe on it. I'll probably spring for one next year.

re- bringing the stuff to him...Stop wondering and email him.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220