Head Mod on a 220 is mighty good.

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Head Mod on a 220 is mighty good.

Post by Colorado Mike »

I finally got to ride my bike after Ron worked his magic on it. I asked him to keep the compression suitable for pump gas at around 9,000'. The comments I've heard about the 220s being low on compression seem to be true. I noticed right away the bike was noticeably harder to kick, I don't think I could start it with my hand anymore.

The difference in how it runs is very apparent, especially at low to mid rpm. I had to get used to it at first when cresting hills it wanted to wheelie a lot more. Almost went over backwards a couple times. Popping the front end up to get over obstacles is easier now too. I wish my buddy had shown up with his KX250. I think I would have been able to run a little closer to him than in the past.

I have the torque pipe on it, and it still is pretty gutless when the KIPS opens. No big hit like my kid's KX. I'll have to try a rev pipe sometime because I have more low-end than I need right now, and would like a little more top.

Anyone that has a 220 without Ron's head mod is missing a lot of snap. I highly recommend it.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ron-emailed me and said my 220head is done and that he received my carb late thursday. Ron said, if everything goes well, it should be out USPS priority by today (SAT) or Monday the latest.
I can't ride it cause my rear shock is out for valving & rebuild along with the KX forks.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey Mike,
What carb do you have? A punched out stocker will help tons on the top end as will the Air Striker.

What reed set-up as well? My DF3 helps out with the top end.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I too have the 'torque' pipe and have been contemplating a change to the 'rev' due to the comments on this site. Is it worth the change, is the question..... I mean I'd have to make a new fibreglass guard to fit the fat bass-turd in and all. :hmm: :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I have the RB modded stock carb and the DF3 reeds.
Mike

'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I would recommend trying a little C-12 mixed with the fuel. Say, 50/50 race gas with premium pump gas. Yes, you did say you don't want to run race gas, but if you can get someone to sell you a gallon and try it, you might decide it's worth the extra few bucks. Besides, with the cost of pump gas getting so high, it won't be long until the race gas is cheaper!!

You've got basicly the same set up I have and my 220 revs to the moon. I wonder why yours is signing off early......

Have you tried retarding your timing a bit? That should cut back the low rpm torque and help out the top end to rev higher.

Just a few things to try before spending bucks on a rev pipe. I had a rev pipe and didn't notice enough difference so I gave it to Inda.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You had Ron cut your head for race gas though didn't you Ski?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yes I did, but I'll tell you; it runs fine on 80% premium/20% race gas. It might even run fine on less race gas, just haven't tried to go down that far. The reason I suggest the C-12 for Mike is because of the altitude he's running. I saw a chart in the Rockymountain catalog that showed the pressure loss in two strokes for various altitudes. I doubt Ron cut that head to boost compression to sealevel levels when he's at 9000 feet. That would be some real volume reduction and would almost certainly require race gas at lower levels. Anyway..... the C-12's evaporation charactoristics should provide a better atomization at that elevation and provide more burnable mix at higher rpms. (I'm thinking that there's less air and shorter time to atomize the fuel into the air at 9,000 feet) It's just a suggestion. He's got all the other tools on the bike to get it to rev but oxygen. Maybe a race gas that is higher in oxygen content would work even better. Hmmmm.......... I'll have to check into that myself!
Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

ok, dumb question time.. what is C-12, and where do you get it?
Mike

'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It is a race gas made by VP. Probably their most popular fuel, and most readily available. http://www.vpracingfuels.com/ They make a TON of fuels that could potentially be used in a 2T bike.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:ok, dumb question time.. what is C-12, and where do you get it?
It's 3x C-4's...

Osama, Hussein ??

Ask a silly question and get a silly answer. :razz: :lol:

Sorry. :oops:

We even have it over here, it ain't cheap though. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

No, it's not cheap, but mixed at 20%, that's only about $1.40 extra per gallon for gas. Average ride of 2.5 gallons makes it about an extre $3.50. That's about a large cup of coffee at StarBucks.

C-12 is $7 a gallon where I live.
Jerry

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Best to buy in 5gal sealed drums from your local supplier. You may be able to find it at your local drag strip in a huge above ground tank also, but I prefer the 5 gal drums.....They are good for storing mixed fuel in as well. FOr the kart I just pour 40oz of oil into a new drum, and run it until it's gone.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Ron-emailed me and said my 220head is done and that he received my carb late thursday. Ron said, if everything goes well, it should be out USPS priority by today (SAT) or Monday the latest.
I can't ride it cause my rear shock is out for valving & rebuild along with the KX forks.
It was at my house Monday when I got home from work
I have to wait to get my suspension back, before trying it out.
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:ok, dumb question time.. what is C-12, and where do you get it?
I think its a Vitamin :rolleyes:
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A silly question, re:

'is pretty gutless when the KIPS opens.'

It does open? More correctly, 'they' do open? All three of 'em?

The -30 is the choice of more 220 riders than the -35 by quite a bit..by far, even. I'm surprised that ski didn't note the difference between the two. That being said, I don't know how you could be unhappy with the 'high' over the 'low' for the 220.

If you don't like it, you can give it (in keeping with the 'ski philosophy') to me!!! I've taken my -30 to Pacific Crest one too many times!!

Good to hear you like your head configuration. I don't know how you could run without it at 9000'el. I'd guess not real well. :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I don't know how I missed CC's post. Yeah, my KIPS works. Well, works as in all of the valves open. but comparing the hit to my kid's KX or YZ, the dawgs are barkin' but ain't no one home. There is no dang reason to rev my bike past the KIPS opening point. You might as well short-shift it and just use the low end.

I kind of liked that when I first was getting re-enibriated to dirt biking, but now that I got my sea-legs back, I'd like a little more rip at the high end. I'll check out my timing and maybe some of that c-12 monkey shine Ski is so fond of. Then I can sit back and ponder why I didn't get me a used YZ250 and throw a bigger tank on it. :roll:
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

When your sitting in the hospital drinkin water out of a sippy cup the nurse is holding while holding a napkin under your chin so you don't drool on yourself..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Damn, didn't realize my webcam was on...
Mike

'04 KDX220
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

how much does it cost to have it sent out and then sent back with the work done? I may do it this winter.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250