RB Carb SSS

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

RB Carb SSS

Post by bradf »

I have more info concerning the SSS, at least my SSS

Right after I got the carb back from Ron I searched for and found the SSS at 2 9/16ths - 2 5/8ths out (temperature dependant). After much testing and broad temp ranges from 28-90, I found there were two significant indicators that it was on the spot: 1. The 3rd and 4th gear roll on was crisp and the engine was literally perfect in everyway, at any RPM, especially low RPM's 2. there was no crackle when the throttle was chopped. This crackle is very evident on my machine. It sounded like a pinging, but wasn't. It was unburnt fuel popping in the pipe. I could tune this out with as little as 1/32nd turn out. It is that sensitive. Temp changes cause my SSS to be anywhere from 2 5/8ths - 2 3/4 out now. When I switched to a DEK #4 from a CEK #3 I had to back out the SSS from 2 5/8ths to 2 3/4 @ 70 degrees, it is 2 9/16 when it is 50 degrees. I ran this past Ron and found that the main jet and needles do have an affect (bleed over) on the pilot circuit even with closed throttle. This being the case I suspected the pilot being too rich OR as it turned out, the float level was too high. Even though it was set to 16 mm, it was bleeding over. Once adjusted to 17 mm the crackle was gone and the SSS was back to 2 1/2. So for those that have the RB carb mod (everyone should have this done by now, along with the kute knurled knob...KKK? hmmm? No?) anyways, if you hear this crackle, popping, adjust the float. It is NOT 4-stroking either. Don't get confused with that. It is definitely a rich bleed over.
Last edited by bradf on 03:48 pm May 07 2006, edited 1 time in total.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Thanks for the input on the SSS.

Exactly right. 'The 3rd and 4th gear roll on was crisp ...'

Adjustment differences are slight, but you get used to 'em. I'll often make fine changes to mine a couple of times a ride. When it's NOT 'on'...it is very plain!

Not hard to change with the KKK, though.

I was commenting to myself (well, just making note actually) just yesterday how quiet (no popping, crackling, burbling..nothing) my bike was on decel.

It's a big deal, the SSS. '..literally perfect in every way!'

Yeah buddy!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!