RB mod for 200 E series

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
cicone

RB mod for 200 E series

Post by cicone »

Hey guys---Been a way for a while. Got my first ride in last few months this past Saturday. Fun trip...at least it got more fun after I hit the pine tree...let's say it helped me settle into a groove. Went with Bradf, who recently relocated here. Great guy. Think he enjoyed the woods here in Florida...quite a bit different than Washington state. Brad let me take a spin on his '04 RB modded 220. WOW!! Reminded me of a YZ250 I rode last year---Gatorkdx's---wide smooth powerband...super sweet. Tried a search and came up dry, so here's the question. Is the improvement the RB mod gives the 220 comparable to what it will do for the 200? Will the carb/squish band work make my bike run similar to the 220??--not that that's what I'm looking for, just want to know how it impacts the 200....What exactly can I expect if I choose to try this? Hope to get out in the woods again soon---before another 5 months goes by---and try to miss the trees. :partyman:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

RB carb mods work great on the E series KDX's. Really increases the low end pull. I can't imagine riding my 89 without the carb mod anymore. It makes that much of a difference. Keep in mind that a 2-hunny is never going to have the low end pull that a 220 has. But that 220 isn't going to have the top end the 200 has either.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'Is the improvement the RB mod gives the 220 comparable to what it will do for the 200?'

In a word, no.

...if 'comparable' is taken to mean 'in the same way.' The 33mm carby on the 220 is a real bottleneck for the upper RPM band of things..but that's not where the 220 is supposed to shine. Still, it would be bothersome to have the upper range so needlessly limited.

In a word, yes.

...if 'comparable' is taken to mean the amount of effect. I used to swap pipes (-30/-35) back and forth depending on the riding area I was headed to. The -30 just didn't work good enough on the bottom end for tighter single track stuff, the -35 wasn't as fun in more open areas. Ron's work on my carb was a large part of making that swap hassle unnecessary. I keep the -30 on all the time nowadays. It has at least as much bottom end as the -35 ever did..and the 'fun' part is there in the upper RPM band.

Now...that's all considering an 'H' series in my case.

BUT...I've ridden m0rie's bike, too. I didn't ride it before and after he strapped his RB on, so have no comparison to make...but the after effect was very nice indeed!! I'm sure I should not have been, but was quite surprised at how well it runs! He's certainly gotten a lot out of his bike. He's still got some amazement coming, though...when he gets his forks on!! :wink:

Basically, 'What m0rie said!' (And it took him only one sentence to say it!) :blink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!