R&B Design PWK Carb.

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

R&B Design PWK Carb.

Post by jafo »

Has anyone here bought one of these carbs? Would they work on our bikes for trail riding and the occasional race or are they to high performance?

I would'nt mind haveing an extra carb handy. I'd probably have it moded also while I ran the new carb.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Are you talking about having Ron (RB Designs) rework your stock PWK or having him work over a Air Stryker PWK? There is a lot of experience with both here on the board. Its a good modification that really helps with the situations that you encounter in trail riding. The divider makes the carb into a quasi two barrel so you get the effect of a smaller carb in the 1st half of the throttle range and the full size carb when its wfo. That has the effect of making more torque/pull down low as well as better throttle response. Air screw actually does something too.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

No, he offers a whole new carb with his mods already done to it. Thats the one I was inquiring about. I already know about the mods done to stock carbs, I was just wondering if anyones bought the new PWK carb and how it works if theres any difference. It has a sticker on it in the pic of the carb that says "for racing only".
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

http://www.rb-designs.com/

Click on Carb Mods then click on the A.S. Specialy Mod Carb. thread.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That would be the Air Stryker PWK. Works the same as the modded standard PWK. Has a bit better low end pull and better throttle response than the stock modded carbs. CC has had both and can elaborate on the differences.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: R&B Design PWK Carb.

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
jafo wrote:Has anyone here bought one of these carbs? Would they work on our bikes for trail riding and the occasional race or are they to high performance?

I would'nt mind haveing an extra carb handy. I'd probably have it moded also while I ran the new carb.
I put the A/S modded carb on my 220. The bike has much more snap and runs out forever. It will now pop up on top of the sand at any speed, It'll grunt and tractor up hill climbs but if you need or want to it'll scream up them too. The carb mod actually made the bike so much better at the bottom end and top end. Things it was lacking with the 33mm oem. I also had Ron mod the head for pump gas.

For racing and fast trail riding/training, I typically take my KX250. It'll do things the KDX just can't and there is a huge power difference--both in the delivery and overall.

That being said..when I ride with my six year old or work a race...the KDX is my bike of choice. It's easy to start several thousand times when laying out stakes and stapling arrows for a race as well as sweeping. Same goes with stop and go when helping the kid on tough ST sections. Everytime I ride it...I think...wow this thing really rocks.

The carb mod will do exactly what you are looking for. Better low end response without any sacrifice to top end runout (The 200 already does a good job in this area). Definitely worth the investment.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thats the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Jon.
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I'd consider the mod AS by R&B a must have for any KDX. Very noticeable power increase.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

An RB modified OEM PWK is good. An RB modified AirStriker is better.

Not a whole lot of reason to buy the latter if you already have the former.

If you have some 'issues' with an OEM modded carb that makes it look like it's ready for retirement (you dropped the slide and took a chip out of it, the slide bore is goobered because of that trip through the muddy lake, the cap is held on with duct tape (AUS=Duck Tape) because you tried using a pipe wrench to tighten it after you good-n-crossthreaded it) then a purchase of the AirStriker would make much more sense than buying a new (or used) OEM style PWK and paying for another modification for it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!