CEK vs. DEK ?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Anemic is how I describe the DEK. If your in some stuff where you need absolute control... it's your needle.

The sudden wheelies and such give me an adreneline boost and make me a better rider trying to keep things in control..... I love CEK! It's there all the time.... lurking...waiting.... :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

So where did you go riding on Saturday? Did you make GT Sunday? By God, what a BEAUTIFUL day it is today, Sunday. I'd be out riding but gotta get some chores done around the house or it won't be ready for all the company come Memorial Holiday. I wouldn't want the Aussie to think Americans live like I usually do.

Your 200 jetting sounds good for sea level riding and the top end drop off sounds right for a bike a bit rich on jetting. Still, at 40 degrees at 5500 feet, it should have been fairly close to, say, 85-90 degrees at sea level. I took my KDX to prairie city when it was 50 degrees (a sea level riding location) when it was jetted for 75 degrees at 3500. It ran like a raped ape. Plug check showed it was fine and not tooooo lean. If you work on jetting in small adjustments, it's real hard to burn up a motor. They'll let you know with a bit of lean bog with the throttle snap or some detonation on hard acceleration. I usually jet that way: by feel and seat-of-pants and not plug chops anyway. Just start with a good dose of fuel and start leaning her out until she falls a bit flat, then go back one step. Yes, it's on the edge, but that is where the real performance line is anyway. I rejet about every other ride or so. I'm looking now on eBay for a second carb for the KX250. That way, I can keep one jetted up for the next ride and just swap it out instead of dissasembling the carb each time I want to change the jetting. If anyone sees a '02 KX250 carb on eBay, I'm interested.

BTW, that 2.5 AS out setting is most likely the second sweet spot. For my 220 I never could find it. Have you tried the primary sweet spot on the AS yet? On my stock KX250 though, it's there, although I like the challenge that the primary sweet spot delivers. There is no substitute for power to get your butt out of trouble in my book. For example, I was following Doug too close on his Husaberg on some real steep switchbacked trail, when he stalled just in front of me as I was switching back. Yikes!! His e-button got him going fast and my extra hp allowed me to grunt on through the turn when there was no way I could have down shifted without falling over. On another occasion, I passed Doug only to find a tree down across the trail. Blipped the throttle and the front just kissed the top of the log and the rear hit so hard I kissed the headlights. Didn't crash but I sure would have if the front had not lofted up enough to clear the log. Doug had time to see me and go around, but it wasn't easy while laughing at the show I just gave him.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Domenic_200

Post by Domenic_200 »

Just went to Foresthill for the afternoon..what a zoo up there with quads and squids. My wife sprung her Sunday afternoon plans on me around 1:00, so I loaded the bike up and hit the road..Just rode loop 4 and 3-1. Then did some WFO tests on Finning Mill. Planned on GT or Elkins, my friends hit GT without me today. After the PCGP next weekend I'll try to hook up with you on a ride. I never found a sweet spot yet..ride under too many different conditions I guess..PC with a 40pj took one turn..Elkins took 2 turns..FH took 2.25 - 2.75 turns to get rid of the bog..I just adjust the screw till it snap wheelies.

Domenic
2003 kdx200w/kx frorks

PIC's http://photobucket.com/albums/y168/daudisio
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Say, is trail 6 back up and running at ForestHill? Last time I heard, is was closed due to a fire a couple years ago. I haven't been there in about 3 years but when I went, I warmed up on 5 then hit trail 6 for the afternoon ride.

After next weekend sounds great!! I'm trying to get up to see Brad AKA Canyncarvr, in Oregon if the weather is good. That's Martin Luther King long weekend with Monday a holiday if you are lucky enough to work for a liberal employer. The following weekend, starting on the 20th, I'll be in San Diego so no riding then. If the weather is crappy, I'm going skiing. You don't ski, do you?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Domenic_200

Post by Domenic_200 »

I have a four day weekend coming up for MLK..but will be working the PCGP :roll: Haven't skied in 20+ years. Before I got married I skied every day possible. Lost plenty of girlfriends due to skiing. I was an advanced skier and wouldn't last more than one run waiting for them. Some long rides home with pissed off women. :mrgreen: Decided to quit skiing when I got married, been married 24 years. On the ride to moonrocks during winter I'm so envious of the skiers at Boreal. Want to pull off and rent some ski's.

Rode loop six the last two years and some of the WST too. I stage off loop three and hit loop 2, then 5 to 6..Great trails during spring. Only an hour drive for me, can do it after work weekdays. They're doing some logging up there, so loop 2 and some of 5 are closed till summer. :mad:

Domenic
2003 kdx200w/kx frorks

PIC's http://photobucket.com/albums/y168/daudisio