CEK vs. DEK ?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Yup! It's all in perspective. The CEK and that carb wakes up the KDX like nobody's business as Domenic points out. I guess it was a little too much for some folks to get used to straight away and needed to detune a bit with the DEK needle. :grin: :wink: :wink:
Not only should everyone give both needles a go, but they should give them both a go after riding either one or the other for a length of time. I shoved my DEK back in so my younger son could ride the bike without looping it.

(You may recall that my "baby" boy, 6'4" 230lbs, was looping the bike so hard, he bent the frame!!)

He hasn't had a chance to ride it since, but I can sure tell it's a bit tamer.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Just for those wondering, it is possible to loop a KDX with a DEK in the carby...

1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Rocks BAD!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ayup! If you look close you can see my fender snapping. That little tumble earned me a bent rear sprocket and chain guard among other things. Nothing like hammering on a bike with a rock and stick of wood on the trail to make it run again. Almost poked a hole in my tank as well. Has a nice gouge that i've got to fill with some JB Weld. Same trip (later in the week), I tore the valve out of my front wheel and had to ride it 20mi out of the mountains down to the vehicles. In short it was a whole lotta fun! :supz: :lol:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's a long wheelie! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Ski-How did the RE-BEND come out??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I didn't know you HAD riding like that in the city of the crescent.

What ride was taking the picture? ...maybe they just went 'around' it?

Does the track come up on the immediate left of the frame? Looks a tad on the steep side.........

Is the bike sitting like that...or is it in the process of continuing the tumble?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That picture (and the ones below) were taken at Keysville OHV area just outside of Lake Isabella in SoCal. Its about 1 hour away from Bakersfield up the Kern River Canyon.

My Brother was at the top of this particular climb standing on a 10ft rock looking down. The trail goes right under the shadow of the tree on the left side. The straight down shot really compresses the height but its a steep mofo with a lip at the top. Everybody went up it one way or another.

The bike was still tumbling, came to rest down near the bottom of the frame.

Here is a couple more pics of the area:

1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

The photo with the looped bike tumbling shows a great trail!

In my area we're wintering and servicing the bikes so looking at these pics is stimulating. No riding here for at least 4 months unless you're into winter riding which I am not. But great pic of that hill - obviously not everyone makes the crest first time every time. I don't need a fancy carb and perfect needle to see my bike turtle.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Green Hornet wrote:Ski-How did the RE-BEND come out??
Thanks for asking; it turned out great!! I propped the bike on a center stand and jammed a 2x4 cut to length between the ground and the frame just ahead of where I wanted to bend it so the suspension would not compress as I applied pressure down on the frame member to be bent. Then, after removing all the plastic and seat back there, I heated the area just behind the seat mounting point red hot with a torch. A piece of pipe aided my leverage and she bent down as pretty and smooth as could be. I wire wheeled the charred paint and didn't even paint it, but just put the parts back on. It will be painted next time I have it apart. I had an old black mx fender that I put on there and it was ready to ride.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Morie - That shot with the bike tumbling is an awesome shot. The pictures of your OHV area look sick as far as rutting. Looks like a good view from the top. Glad someone is able to ride this time of the year.

Snow in my part of Idaho - too much for any bike riding but not enough for real fun on the snowmachines. Haven't been riding for 3 months :cry: Guess I could ride the sled but with only 3-4 feet of snow the 'land mines' are just laying in wait for me since I just cannot keep on the groomed trails when I ride sleds.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That OHV area is at the other end of the state unfortunately :cry: so I only get to ride there once or twice a year. But its a lot of fun, and I'm always looking forward to heading back down there.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

skipro3, how does that m5b hold up in the rocks? i like the mt32 for the terrain around here (rocks,sand,mud). have you tried the m1a front tire?
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The M5B holds up pretty well. As you probably know, a soft terrain tire is a hard rubber. In rocks, they tend to tear the knobs off instead of just rounding off. The KDX just doesn't generate the torque to tear the knobs off very much. Some do tear, but only little chunks; not the whole knob. By installing a new tire now, when the ground is soft, I get a nice tire through May, when things start to dry out and the ground gets hard. At that point; rocky dry conditions, I just don't notice much difference between tire brands or even between new and a well worn tire on the rear.
Jerry

Domenic_200

Post by Domenic_200 »

Jerry.

Whats the story on Elkins? :?

CEK or DEK? :mrgreen:

Domenic
2003 kdx200w/kx frorks

PIC's http://photobucket.com/albums/y168/daudisio
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Elkins was awesome today!! We started at Elkins and took trail 26 up Big Mtn. Ridge to Plummer Ridge. Snow was light at first, then got deeper until it got over a foot deep, so we turned around and went back down the south end of 26 to the staging area. From there we went to trail 25 to 36, cutting south to Gold Note. Trail 35 and 33 loops at Gold Note were PERFECT!!! We only saw one other rider all day and no one's tracks at all during the whole day. We had it all to ourselves! About 10 miles from the staging area while heading back, I lost my rear axle nut and spacer. (Forgot to install a cotter pin!!) Fixed with bailing wire and took it easy back to the truck. (yea, RIGHT!)
Total of about 55 or 60 miles depending on which odometer you believe.
GT is closed for safety reasons. Can you believe it??? What CRAP!!!
Go to Elkins, stay low and you will love life!
CEK of course!!! Gold Note is mostly quad wide track, but ride it like a CC race and you will really have fun. I was railing the turns and we were passing each other back and forth with the extra trail width. Let me know if you go and how you liked it.

****EDIT****
Watch out for the mud hole. You will know you are there when you find a muddy puddle across a fire road, mostly blocked by a falled tree. The tree broke and is big enough to ride through, but don't! Take a bypass to the right or you will be sorry. Doug is!! His Husaburg was deep into the mud hole before he realized how deep it is. Good thing a Husaberg has a high mounted air filter!! Ha!!
Jerry

Domenic_200

Post by Domenic_200 »

Still holding out for Georgetown...Some volunteers are riding the trails tomorrow to check on conditions, may open sunday..When we ride Elkins we stage at the cabin on plummer..how much snow at GF and NS roads? All the whoops snowed in on 25? Anyway glad to still be riding the forest this late in winter :cool:
Going with the CEK recommendation for this weekend :mrgreen:

Domenic
2003 kdx200w/kx frorks

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I got the post looking for volunteers. I rained last night, so I suspect they will use that as an excuse to keep it closed. Let me know if you get to go and how it was. I'm loading up right now to head out to Stonyford.
Jerry

Domenic_200

Post by Domenic_200 »

Well I tried the DEK Saturday @ 5500 feet and 40F temps..works a little better on the tight stuff. But I think I'll go back to the CEK :?
Had a chance to test the top..and the bike won't rev out in 4th or higher..didn't bring any brass along, so back to testing again.

Here's what I had for jetting: 5500 feet-40F
DEK C-3
152 MJ
40 PJ
2.5 turns AS

Plug chop at sea level yielded the 152mj..5500 feet may be too rich..The sound from the exhaust didn't change or smoke..Just felt like the throttle wasn't opened fully (it does)..Weird :roll:
2003 kdx200w/kx frorks

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Try the DEK in the 4th clip position and a 150main.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E