FINALLY SENDING MY CARB TO RON-B

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

I have herd so much about Ron's carb mods and I am finally sending my carb to him Monday. I wrecked my kx 250 in October and had to have ACL reconstruction surgery as a result, so I decided to rebuild my 1996 KDX 200 from the ground up for the Second year in a row and it came out unbelievably good. Way better than the first build. The bike is so nice now I feel like it deserves a Ron-B carb mod. I don't think I have ever been more exited about anything else for this CARB MOD!!!! Is there anything else I need to know about this mod, like tuning it or anything?
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: FINALLY SENDING MY CARB TO RON-B

Post by spl383 »

You should send the head also. I did the head and carb last year on my 220 and love it. Good luck on the ACL surgery, I had the surgery 2 1/2 years ago, you will be doing a lot of physical therapy for a few months.
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

You know I just was thinking about it a minute ago and I am going to send the head in, it's only $55. I am really anxious to see what these mods will do to my bike. I have a buddy with a yzf 250 and I'm so sick of hearing that stupid sounding four stroke in front of me. I hear after these mods it will have no problem pulling the front wheel up on 3rd gear. I have spent hours reading peoples comments about these mods and I have yet to find someone that isn't extremely happy with the results. As for the knee, ya your right its gonna take a while to get back to normal but the surgeon said I will be back on the dirt by spring which is really all that matters to me. So once this snow is gone I'll be out there rippin and I really want to turn some heads. After these mods I think My KDX will have close to every performance mod possible except for the big bore kit.
If you had a choice to date supermodels for the rest of your life or ride dirt bikes, would you choose a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I got a lot more top end power on my 220. And I have been in many situations where I am on a rocky hill just lugging the crap out of the bike, where it would have died before the mods and it just keeps going.
I started riding again 6 months after the surgery. I was 100% committed to the physical therapy so I could get back on the bike. I also purchased and acl brace which I would recommend if you plan on riding or doing any kind of sports within a year of surgery. insurance covered some of the brace. my brace http://www.braceshop.com/bledsoe-z13-acl-knee-brace.htm
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

Wow I can't wait 6 months I have to ride. The VA did hook me up with a really nice moto style brace, it's called a Ossur STI. It seems to work very well. I believe it cost them about $1000 bucks.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

More power to ya for jumping back on the bike after injury.

I felt like the RB head took away just a touch from very bottom end but gave mid-top a nice bump in power. I got the both carb and head together but only installed the carb at first. That was the big eye opener with more power everywhere. The head is great in it's own right like mentioned above, but I might recommend just trying the carb by itself. Not bad at all

Whats your gearing? A piped kdx 200 is just as fast as a kxf250 in a straight line. On the trails you should be running over him with ease. Of course thats just my experience :)
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
bone7615

Post by bone7615 »

My gearing is 13f 49r if I remember correctly. My buddy's 250f if built very well and has a ton of cash dumped into it. I really don't want to lose any bottom end power. I will send them both in and maybe just try the carb at first.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

i understood the divider plate was supposed to improve bottom end substantially, on the 35mm carbs ?

i could care less about top, i want all the bottom and middle i can get ;-)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

After boring to 36mm, the divider helps retain throttle control at lower throttle openings. The head makes some difference on a 200, but nowhere close to what it does for a 220. Ask Ron and he will tell you that the 200 has a decent setup stock, whereas the head / squish on the 220 is a wreck. Whether its worth the 55 is up to you. I had mine done and certainly dont regret it.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Sent my carb and 220 head to Ron on Monday.

I'm feeling just a little bit tingly waiting to get it back and running!
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.