Carb identification

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
MarioM3

Carb identification

Post by MarioM3 »

Hello, been finding great information on here. I can't thank you guys enough! Search engine is my best friend as of lately!
I've hit a cross road, I'm in the process of taking my top end off to put a forged piston in my new to me 02 KDX 220. I was going to send the carb/head to RB. But I just pulled the carb, and it has the divider plate installed. Haven't measured it yet but would this indicate RB has been performed already? Is there anyway to tell? Does RB sign his work in any way? Also anyway to tell if the head was modified? I never had a 220 engine apart so I wouldn't know the difference. (I assume if it has these, it will probably have a forged piston install, but not taking that chance)

Thanks,
Mario
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Carb identification

Post by SS109 »

Post up a pic of the divider and the gasket surface of the head. RB's divider is precision machined in to the carb so it's fairly easy to tell if it's his work. As for the head, can you tell that the gasket surface has been machined?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
MarioM3

Carb identification

Post by MarioM3 »

[img][IMG]http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah271/ttr125mar/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151213_200206537_zpsfifwoxdf.jpg[/img][/img]

I also just measured it with a micrometer, cane out to 1.420in (36.068mm). I didn't get a chance to get the head off yet, planning on this weekend.

Thanks,
Mario
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Carb identification

Post by SS109 »

That looks like RB's work. Does it precisely match the slide? If so, I would lay money on it that it is his work.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MarioM3

Carb identification

Post by MarioM3 »

Yes, it looks as if it was like that from the factory. Thanks for your help, I'll take a picture one the head is off too.

Thanks,
Mario
cornishwrecker220

Carb identification

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Ron also modifies the slide too by means of the 'cutaway'....also finger adjustable air screw .
MarioM3

Carb identification

Post by MarioM3 »

Not sure if I understand the 'cutaway'. Is it on the slide it self? It doesn't have a figure type screw, looks like a stock figure type screw for idle adjustment tho. Also the ventura on the airbox side is completely smooth, when looking at some pictures of stock carbs it should have what appear to be two slim runners. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mario
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Carb identification

Post by Tedh98 »

The cutaway is the angled part of the slide as shown at the bottom of these two slides:

The adjustable air screw is an add-on/upgrade item. So you could have an RB carb without one.
cornishwrecker220

Carb identification

Your carb may have a "power now" wing installed? ...it's difficult to see from your photo but it does look like one as I can see extra material on the lower part that goes toward the reed block?? May just be my eyes...Rons does not ...wether it's a Ron carb or just have the powernow installed it should perform well :grin:
MarioM3

Carb identification

Post by MarioM3 »

Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to find out. I think the powernow's always have a round ring (correct me if I'm wrong), this one is machined into the aluminum of the carb. Either way cornishwrecker220, your right. It's going to perform well!
Off topic, does anyone know of good vent hoses, those fuel stained ones are brindle now.

Thanks,
Mario
cornishwrecker220

Carb identification

Check out eBay , I picked up a coloured silicone carb vent hose kit for my 220...even came with a fuel breather hose too ( For the gas cap )....just make sure you re-route the carb breather hoses up & into the air box , the float overflow can remain facing down :grin:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carb identification

Post by 6 Riders »

MarioM3 wrote:Thanks guys! Exactly what I needed to find out. I think the powernow's always have a round ring (correct me if I'm wrong), this one is machined into the aluminum of the carb. Either way cornishwrecker220, your right. It's going to perform well!
Off topic, does anyone know of good vent hoses, those fuel stained ones are brindle now.

Thanks,
Mario
http://freeflohose.com/products.html
These hoses are great, I have the carb vent hoses on all of my KDXs and their Gas cap vent hoses on all my bikes. Last forever and look good. He ships fast too.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Carb identification

Post by SS109 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:Your carb may have a "power now" wing installed? ...it's difficult to see from your photo but it does look like one as I can see extra material on the lower part that goes toward the reed block?? May just be my eyes...Rons does not ...wether it's a Ron carb or just have the powernow installed it should perform well :grin:
That definitely isn't the power now setup. Those are not in the same league as RB's divider. Machined divider + plus 36mm bore = RB has been there!
'11 GasGas EC250R