RB Head Mod...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

RB Head Mod...

Post by Indawoods »

Man... I just gotta say... that's a beautiful thing CC... :cry:

Can't wait to get mine back....

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's a curious thing...head reconfiguration. I guess it's kind of like swapping different shims around in a valve stack and actually making it work!

The reason I sent my head up to RB was in an attempt to reduce some of the detonation I had after a port job. Yep..completely unfair to ask someone else to clean up a problem that they had nothing to do with...but I did.

No, the detonation problem was not resoloved, but it is considerably improved!

Detonation? Too much compression? Increase the compression to help that situation?

Well..that's a tad on the simple side...but close.

Yep. Like everything I've seen of Ron's work...beautiful indeed. AND it WORKS, too!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

What does the head mod do for the KDX?

Yes the head does look good. My RB'd carb looked so nice it was almost a shame to put it back on the bike. :mrgreen:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Man, that's some good head...

:partyman:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

You may not see the bling when it is installed - but RB's work does get the job done!! :cool:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Some of this has been around..but this is a good thread to stick the montage in:

More good stuff from RB

re: what does head reconfig do?

From a rider's point of view (known, ridden and heard from others):

The 220 head has some rather common 'defects' in that they vary a whole lot in size (volume). The 200 head is better in that regard. If your 220 head happens to be 20cc when it works better (pump gas) at 18cc, then there's a quick 10% improvement to your bike's performance!

JUST KIDDING!! It's an inside joke about numbers...don't worry about it.

Higher compression in a two-stroke tends to improve bottom end response. Yes, at the expense of top-end in some cases (depends on how much of it you do).

If you commonly ride at higher el., then you need all the static (numerical) compression you can get! If a race-gas mix is your choice of fuel..there's another reason to increase your compression.

There are a couple of whys to increased compression.

But...that's not the largest part of it (sez me). Do some research on 'squish band' and how it works/what it does. Ron reconfigures the squish band to improve all that stuff (that you will read about if you choose to go looking).

A paraphrase from Mr. Gorr (well, it's on his site anyway...don't know that he's the source): It's 95% rider and 5% bike...better make that 5% count!

Sure! You can have fun on your OEM KDX. Fact is, it's not an engineering marvel in the way of cutting-edge wonder. If you're of the group that thinks the front end of the KDX fits you perfectly and a KX frontend is a waste of time and money..then there is likely no reason you should have your cylinder head reconfigured.

It's not about how much money you can sink into your bike..but what works and what doesn't.

Reconfiguring your cylinder head works. :wink:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well Ron recieved my head today, machined it and is sending it back to me tomorrow! :shock: Man...that's quick! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I got the head back from Ron and he has performed MAGIC!

As you may recall the head I bought off of eBay was completely trashed. The guy who took it off the bike was a hack and used a screw driver to pry it off leaving huge gashes in the mating surface. Ron got all of that out as part of the mod and cut a nice anti-detonation ring. I can't wait to try it out this spring....

He is one of the true craftsmen that deserves to be recongnized. :prayer:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Excellent, can't wait to hear how you like it.
What do you figure a used average to good condition head is worth.
I found a buddy selling a 98' 220 head for $20 + $10 shipping.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Snag it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Well, I asked him if he would ship to Canada, he said yes.
I asked him how much? He sent me a rude email saying I was too much trouble and that from now on NO CANADIAN BIDDERS!

Here it is if anyone wants it, I would not mention that you heard it from me as I sent a return rude email to him and blocked his email. :twisted: .

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... A%3A1&rd=1

It is a little dirty, but the machining would refinish the inside and surface, and the part could be etched to bring back the nice colour. Shops that do iridite plating (the goldish colour anti-oxidant) would probably charge no more than $5.00 to have it etched. I hear you can get similar stuff from automotive stores too.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

maybe i will go ahead ans pick it up. can i have you site were you guys are getting your head modd done??

Also i dont need race gas right???
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

http://www.rb-designs.com

I dont think you NEED race gas, but with the increase in compression it will perform much better.

Soemone else can answer that question better, CC?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Phil,
If you want it, either buy it and drop ship to RBDesigns and have Ron ship it to you, or, if you'd like, ship to me and I'll send it on to you. Let me know if I can help. Heck, if you can't bid on it now, I will and you can send me the money.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Thanks for the offer Ski, that is very generous and kind of you. I will let Ryan take it if he wants it. But I will keep your offer in mind :grin:, if you really do not mind.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You won't NEED 'race gas' unless you TELL Ron you are going to be running 'race gas'.

The 220 heads vary considerably in volume measurement (said that already). If the head you have happens to be larger than it reasonably should be, you're wasting some 'free' available power. Don't know about the 'much better' part, but a bike that performs well is the sum of all sorts of parts..not all of them great big huge items.

Where head modificaton really helps out is with the folks that ride high on a regular basis. If you have not been above 8000'el. with your bike (nothing special about that number), you don't know what you would be missing. Power! Some of these guys are well above 10k. It gets thin up there.

If you have a question about the process you have in mind for your bike...ask Mr. Black.

Because you asked...Mr. Black's site URL:

http://www.rb-designs.com/

uh oh...I don't guess he likes spam arrest... :wink:

Consider the source

Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well if you really dont want it phil, i think i will get it. Seems like a good benfit for only $70. I could always use somemore mid and top end. Has anyone done this on a 220? Did you notice a big power differnce? Did you lose any power in some area's? Also will this wear the life of top and botoom end down?? thanks for any help.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Go for it Ryan! I'll find another one eventually.

I believe what CC is saying is if you tell Ron you are going to be running race gas, he would machine the head to support race gas. I think he may machine the surface of the head (among other things) down to decrease the volume of the combustion chamber and therefore increase compression. If you are going to use race gas he would machine it to a smaller volume than if you were to use standard gas as race gas can ignite at a higher pressure than your standard gas.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, or feel free to add to this.

Oh and BTW higher compression will give more bottom end.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'I believe what CC is saying is....'

Yanno, I honestly do NOT try to be difficult about stuff. I DO elaborate too often/much..but that in an effort to be clear to everyone reading....

Anyway...what Phil said, including 'among other things'. If you have question of a specific nature regarding your application (as opposed to being merely generally curious), ask Mr. Black.

To address the freak specifically, re: 'Did you lose any power ....'

Compression increase will commonly add to the bottom-end response of things. It will also take away from the top-end of things. It's akin to spark timing in that regard. Advanced spark timing will enhance the bottom-end and be a minus to the top-end.

re: '..will this wear the life of top and botoom end down??'

The fact of the matter is this: ANY increase in power output is going to be at the expense of something. The greater the compression of the air/fuel mixture, the greater the resulting pressures when said mix is ignited. That greater pressure is going to be felt, of course..on the head/cylinder seal, the rod bearings, the piston crown, the piston rings etc. etc.

That is NOT to say an increase in power is a bad thing. You don't see riders scrambling to reduce the power of their machines to enhace longevity, to you?

It's all a question of balance (good album, btw. ..did I say that already?). Any modification can be taken too far. What you're looking for is an improvement to the existing situation..one that will not reduce longevity or reliability.

Take lighting as an example. The oem lighting coil puts out about 45 watts. If you want to run a twin headlamp shell, you will need a 'better' lighting coil. BUT...it is harder for the bike to 'run' that larger coil! You do NOT get SOMEthing for NOthing. So..what's the better option? Taking a bit of power to run the better lighting system or running with less light?

That's a decision you need to make for yourself.

When you find out that adding that larger lighting coil ends up improving your ignition performance, it's all good! :shock:

Nothing from RB-Design's is going to hurt your bike. You will be surprised at what the little green machine can do when it's running well!

Cliff's Notes version: Don't worry about it. :wink:

Consider the source

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

:lol: I was hoping you would elaborate more!

Myself, I am just curious but I would prefer not to waste Mr. black's time asking unless I was prepared to have the mod done now, and ask here instead. As a machinist, I am very curious of the HOW's to make WHAT happen.
Having said that, I am also very respectful of others work/inventions/discoveries but love to learn about anything related to machining and bikes.
Guess I should buy THAT book.