1989 kdx200 carb issues

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
Riverrat321

1989 kdx200 carb issues

Post by Riverrat321 »

Hi guys,
I recently picked up a 1989 kdx200. It was very hard to start cold. The idle speed also kept changing. I removed the carb to clean it. The pilot jet says 45. The main jet 135. When i Tried to put it back together i could not remember where the little hoses went. I left them off. It runs but i needed to et the idle speed real high. Could someone help me out on where the hoses go and also if the jet sizes are possibly causing issues?
The bike has 120 psi compression when warm. Could this be causing hard starting?
The bike is pretty loud. Looks to have the exhaust tip cut off. Not sure exactly what mods have been done. I just want a simple reliable bike.
Cheers,
Riverrat321.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1989 kdx200 carb issues

Post by bufftester »

So many places to start....what's the compression cold? How did you clean the carb? When you put it back together did you follow the jetting guide? What condition is the intake tract in (air boot, reed block, filter)? Are the baffles missing in the pipe, or is the packing trashed? Getting the bike in good mechanical condition needs to be done before tackling carb issues.
Riverrat321

1989 kdx200 carb issues

Post by Riverrat321 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to bikes to be honest and I am a little lost on some of the things you mention. I would like to put the tubes back on the carb (I think two have been left off). Any idea where they go exactly?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

just look for the things sticking out of the carb that look like tubes will go on them. Its not a smart ass comment, that really is the easiest way to identify them. The big one pointing up is for the fuel line from the tank, the one on the bottom of the bowl is a drain, and there are two overflow, 1 on either side. There is an exploded view here PWK Exploded View
Riverrat321

1989 kdx200 carb issues

Post by Riverrat321 »

Thanks heaps for that. I will try to hook these up today. Does not sound like these would affect the running of the bike so Looks like I am back to the drawing board. I will try to pick up a manual and check one thing at a time. Will do a compression test on it cold when I get home too and see how that goes.
Thanks mate.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

1989 kdx200 carb issues

Post by rbates9 »

That 135 main sounds way too lean. that won't be anything to do with a starting problem but you may want to step that up a bit.

And like Bufftester said, one thing at a time.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If that's a 135, there's a problem. Could be someones way of compensating for a leaky jet block gasket, otherwise, it's going to be wayyy too lean.
motogoalie1

Post by motogoalie1 »

135 would not be lean for someone that rides at 8,000 feet elevation.

you guys might ask a person where they live before giving jetting advice.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

motogoalie1 wrote:135 would not be lean for someone that rides at 8,000 feet elevation.
Well, the OP specifically asked for some starting direction, which has been provided, and didn't provide his operating altitude which requires us to provide as helpful a response as we can based on our collective knowledge. I don't believe it's much of a stretch to consider that probably 99% of the riders on here don't see 8K+ feet unless they are flying somewhere. An obvious point like an extremely lean MJ is certainly going to lead to the questions that have been already posed...condition of the bike, work done, etc. And actually the jetting advise usually given is the same regardless of altitude, riding style, year/model...make sure everything is mechanically sound and follow the jetting guide
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

motogoalie1 wrote:135 would not be lean for someone that rides at 8,000 feet elevation.

Actually, yes, it probably would be lean at even 8k. You're talking about roughly 1 step per 2000 feet. If it were a 220 at 8000, maybe. The OP is looking for a starting point, and a 135 MJ is glaringly out of place in the average 200. Also, in the future, if you have nothing that's actually helpful to add, you might consider not trolling other peoples threads. It's not appreciated here.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
motogoalie1

Post by motogoalie1 »

Yeah
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Don't take that wrong, I'm not trying to be an ass. You make a valid point, more information is certainly required before any solid jetting advice can be given, other than directing to the jetting process. The MJ certainly seems... unusual.

What is the elevation, where did the bike come from, what other modifications are present?