OEM 33mm Carb RB'd or New A/S RB'd??

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:HONEY, I AM BUYING A NEW BIKE AND NOTHING CAN STOP ME FROM SPENDING THE $6,000! Hey wait, here's a carb mod for $350.

Yes dear husband, let's look at that!!
Your scaring me...It's almost like you were there! :shock:
LOL Hey Robb just hide a few of the importants bits like, ummmm, head, dog bones etc and I'm sure he'll let ya by the forks once he can't put it all back together.
All good ideas K D X er! :mrgreen: :supz: The bottom end is toast and the cylinder is sleeved...and toast. I keep telling him "that he will never find a good servicable cylinder used". (OEM new is ~$500.00) "All the bearings are toast. Chain, sprockets, .....It's just not worth fixing. Come on...write it off and sell me the front end!"

I'm telling you guys, it's wearing him down. Either that or I'm about to get fired? :shock:
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have done some recent explaining myself!! Whose car do you think used to sit where the stripped to the frame KDX250 is now?! :mrgreen: I also explained how the KDX250 was not priced as high as a used KX250, a $4,000 new KDX200 or a $6,000 new KX250. She seemed to pause in her thoughts at least. :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Y'know after catching up on this thread, I'm liking not having anyone to answer to about how I'm spending my money or how much of the garage is filled with my crap...though it is hard to snuggle up to the KDX though. :lol:

Quailchaser, another idea is to let your fiingers do the walking at ronayers.com or bikebandit and present your boss an itemized list of parts and costs. Also remind him about any special tools or machining that might also have to be done. Then show him how much it's blue book value is after he dumps all that money into it. :shock:

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... he'll cave! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

And if he doesn't hide his stuff. hehehehe :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

When the little woman complains about how much my dirt bikeing stuff costs, I tell her fine; I'll just meet Randy down at Poor Red's (a local soloon. Tavern to you Trev) She prefers me spending money AND time in the garage over spending money and time with Randy. She can't stand Randy. Eveyone needs a friend like him to demonstrate to their wife just how good they got it.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hey Jerry I've got one too. You know Wib's signature, well this guys a slinky. He's good for a giggle most of the time but the women just don't seem to find him funny at all. :lol:

BTW We call em pubs down 'ere. :partyman: I think it's derived from 'public bar' but keep in mind this is coming from someone who thought boxing day was started by war vets having boxing competitions the day after christmas. :roll: :lol: Flame away.... :oops:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good suggestion, ski! :mrgreen:

Box those little kidds! :mrgreen:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Now it's almost another week...and...??????

Well, unless you shipped by brown truck. Ground shipping back/forth will be a killer time-wise.

So....what's up?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:When the little woman complains about how much my dirt bikeing stuff costs, I tell her fine; I'll just meet Randy down at Poor Red's (a local soloon. Tavern to you Trev) She prefers me spending money AND time in the garage over spending money and time with Randy. She can't stand Randy. Eveyone needs a friend like him to demonstrate to their wife just how good they got it.
Works for me everytime, it's always good to keep one friend :oops: as a scapegoat :rolleyes:
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Now it's almost another week...and...??????

Well, unless you shipped by brown truck. Ground shipping back/forth will be a killer time-wise.

So....what's up?
It's only the start of the 2nd week. :wink: Ron should have recieved the head on Friday. Hopefully, I'll have it and the carb back by the end of this week. :mrgreen: Report to follow.
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

While we wait for a report from Robb, I'll tell you a story:
I found a new method of convinceing the wife I need to spend a little more on the dirtbike: Start taking her to a BMW dealer. I did that and we looked at their new dual sport 100hp model. She really fell in love with it as we sat on it and I told her stories of how we could ride to Moab, Utah and other fun places. Then she saw how much it was: over $15,000 !!!!

Ha! Heck, I could go out and buy a new KLR650, KTM300EXC, and at least one other bike before I topped the sticker on that BMW. But, you know, I think she really liked that BMW. She told me she's got a job interview tomorrow so we can have a little extra fun money. My wife, I think I'll keep her!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Well, Ron sure has a quick turn around. :prayer: I didn't really expect to get my stuff back until maybe Thursday or Friday. Showed up at the shop today! :supz: Thanks Ron!! :mrgreen:

Modded head and carb went back on in about 30 minutes. With 3 week old premix, she fired on the 4th kick.

It's definitely got more zip. Revs much quicker and I suspect it'll have quite a bit more run out. Wouldn't idle with or without the choke on. :? After letting it warm up a bit, I took a spin around the neighborhood. After running around the hood, I was able to get it to idle. There is definatley a hesitation off idle with the A/S set at 7/8th out as Ron shipped it.

All our streets are short and circular and it was dark out. So, I wasn't really able to get on her much. It didn't help that my headlamp bulb fell victim to the garage floor last spring.. :shock: I'll have to take it out and play with the jetting this weekend. My first impression is mixed as I had her jetted pretty well before the mods. But as the pro posted earlier...I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance to dial it in.

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ron should have given you some tips and extra jets to play with. Tell us the current jettings; pilot, needle and clip, main.
hesitation off idle? Discribe that in more detail. If it's happening when you wick the throttle and it bogs to the point of feeling like it's going to stall, then it's lean on the needle clip position.
Won't idle with or with out choke? Is one at least better than the other? Idle screw turned in all the way and it still won't idle?

I'll answer tomorrow!! It's late!!

P.S. head work done: for race gas or not?
Jerry

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Head mod was for Pump Gas. Not that I could tell by looking at it. :lol:

Jetting from Ron. 150 Main, 38 Pilot, CEK Clip in middle, a/s 7/8. I have, air box lid de-snorkled and drilled, Moose A/F (clean and freshly oiled with FFT), 607 Reeds, Plat II pipe w/ aftermarket silencer, new BR8EG plug. Temps were in the mid 70's, low humidity, `1500ft elev.

I installed the head, I checked the reeds, and re-installed the cage with new gaskets. Installed the carb. Put the tank on with 3 week old 91 pump with 40:1 Amsoil Interceptor. Put the choke on and kicked. Tried to fire 1st kick but died. After introducing throttle, fired 4th kick and kept running with slight throttle. Closed choke. Let off throttle. Died. Re-fired, adjusted idle screw almost all the way in...no idle. Put choke back on...re-fired. Adjsted idle screw in and out. No idle. Removed idle screw and inspected. Appeared ok. Re-installed. Re-fired bike...adjusted screw. No idle. Kept bike running and drove around the block. Stopped in driveway. Very low idle. Adjusted idle screw to faster idle. Bike idled, but seemed rough. Ever have a small block with an extreem cam? Idles kind of like that. I'm at a loss as to why it idled the same(not at all?) when cold whether the choke was on or off. :hmm:

I fired it up a few hours later with fresh 91 pump mixed 40:1. It would barely idle (choke on or off). Adjusted the idle screw way in...not much affect. While it was barely idleing, I adjusted the A/S out until I could get the fastest idle with the idle screw in pretty far. ~2 turns out is where it idled the fastest. Shut it down before I asphixiated my self in the garage and pulled the plug. The plug was wet with "spoo". Wipped "spoo" and re-installed. Anyway, that's as far as I got! :blink:

As far as the short ride... I got it warm enough that the cylinder was hot to the touch (not too hot). It's going to be fun when the quirks are worked out. :supz: It pulls harder than before. The hesitation was a lean type (like when your fuel filter is cloged in your car...hic up). It sure wanted to pull the front end up once past the hic up!! I know it's just a matter of playing with it...Without the idle issue (strange to me that the choke seems to have little effect), I'd be smiling big time! I'm baffled. :rolleyes: It's got to be something simple...my simple mind is just not "seeing it".

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You might try bumping the pilot upto a 40 and see if it will idle.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: won't idle

But then it DID idle...

Don't worry about a bike that idles funny or has a hesitation...when the bike is NOT up to operating temp.

My bike bogs like crazy..when it's cold. Who cares? When it's up to temp response is instantaneous. Yep. I guarantee you can improve the no idle part when cold with a 40 pilot. I can anyway.

I don't spend much time riding the bike cold...how 'bout you? :wink:

I'm running a 38 pilot.

Although a mixed result with 220 drivers...try the AS in the 2 1/2 range. You've read all about that I 'spose (the SSS). Do keep in mind that the RB carb is sensitive to AS adjustment to the extent that 1/16th changes matter.

Oh...re: choke no effect

...but then a couple of statements that indicate having the choke on or off did indeed matter as far as the bike running.

Point: Work with it some. It's not the same bike, it won't run the same. I'll bet you will find the CEK a better run on -4 than -3.

This mod is not Plug-N-Play. What you will learn about your bike 'on the way' to getting it right will be.....priceless.

No...I'm not saying you don't know about your bike now. Just tune the thing..and you will be very happy with it!!

Somewhere along the way, try a 152.......

Consider the source

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

CC= CEK -4, shut up about idle and choke, try 152 main at some point, SSS. Yep, whole new experience with the A/S that actually does something.

m0rie = 40 pilot (Ron actually suggested that may be necessary due to cooler temps in his instruction letter)

I appreciate the comments CC and m0rie. The previous post were merely my first impressions just slapping the thing together. I need to get it to the dirt and really play with it. As I said before...I'm making no judgements until I get to truly spend some time getting familiar with the new set up. The difference is defiantly there and when it gets dialed...it's going to rip! :supz: I have the tools, I have the jets...what I'm lacking is the time(and maybe the mental capacity)! :roll:
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Let us all know 'bout it!

Looking forward to only good things of course..............;)

Consider the source