Jetting question, yes yet another one...

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Jetting question, yes yet another one...

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I just had RB do his work for my bike, all went well and I can really tell a difference in overall usable power, and a gain on top end with the 220, only complaint is Ron sent me a 182 main jet spare, instead of a 152, eyesight going? no worries though on that.

my question is I got the carb with a 40 pilot, CEK at 3rd clip and 150 main, I had switched the clip to the 4th for the cold weather (50 degrees, ran good) we had for a few days then took it out with that set up on a 88 degree day, and holy spooge, and sluggishness!!(I know you can't jet based off of spooge but still) black oil all over the fender and running down the silencer till it was dripping, well I wasn't going to be happy til I put the clip to the 3rd spot, i moved it and the rev and cleaned up and less spooge than before, but still more than before RB's work, i had the air screw at 1 1/4 the whole time only to move it a few 1/16th's in or out, there was a small lean bog I got if i was going slow in 3rd and opened it up fast, couldn't get rid of it. also throughout the day the bike didn't feel as fast as when I would take it around my yard for the few times I did, maybe that's just me.

so based on this info what are yinz suggestions on where I should go from here on the getting? leaner on the pilot, 38? richer on the main 152? leaner maybe on the main? or just play with the air screw more?

one last note, I ran the airscrew at 2 1/4 out at the end of the day just to see and it would lean bog a little more than before, and the throttle response was more mello until I got to top end power, not sure if that's normal for that adjustment or I just haven't found the SSS? or have I???
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Jetting question, yes yet another one...

Post by Julien D »

I would start out by playing with the air screw more. Go as far as 2.5 or even 3 turns out in very small increments. Also be aware that you have an oversize air passage at WOT, and it will behave differently. Rolling on the throttle may become more important in some situations.
TheJackRabbit
Supporting Member

Re: Jetting question, yes yet another one...

Post by TheJackRabbit »

I'll start with that then
http://www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <--- some KDX videos here
I'm smarter than I act