To mod or not to mod

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
OsoBlanco

To mod or not to mod

Post by OsoBlanco »

I'm just wrapping up a 220KX hybrid and and waiting on some parts to arrive. This seems like a great time to send the carb and head to RB.

The question is: should I do it.

This is my second season riding (limited seat time last year). All I ride is tight single track. Currently the bike has a Woods pipe and FMF silencer (not sure which model though). Being new still, I'm thinking that a nice mellow ride is better to learn with. I was on a 570FE last year and sold because it was WAY too much bike for the trails I ride. That been said, I don't want a total dog either. I have no experience on a stock KDX so I have no idea what to expect.

Stock=awful?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

To mod or not to mod

Post by SS109 »

Stock is far from awful. However, compared to the power of a 570FE, it will feel rather anemic. The RB mods are not like adding a 500hp nitrous shot to a V8 engine. It will expand the power band by a noticeable, and very usable, amount yet doesn't make it any harder to ride.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: To mod or not to mod

Post by Julien D »

I'd say yes on the RB mods. It does add some power, but also adds some grunt and tractability. Also, the general consensus is that the woods pipe is a poor match for the porting on the 220.
skippypinecone
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by skippypinecone »

Do it, RB mods, do it.
royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

To mod or not to mod, what a silly question :lol:
Of course mod it :supz:
OsoBlanco

To mod or not to mod

Post by OsoBlanco »

Thanks for the input guys. I don't want a bike thats going to buck me off all the time. I spend more time on my butt on the trail than I did on the 570. I want something mellow and easy to ride until I figure out how to ride single track properly.

As far as the Woods pipe goes, yeah I've been hearing that it's not a good pipe for the bike. I didn't research it a ton before I bought. There was a Desert and a Woods, seemed like a no brainer. Now I'm reading that's not the case. Is there a thread specifically outlining the issues or is it bits and pieces from here and there?
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

royadams wrote:To mod or not to mod, what a silly question :lol:
Of course mod it :supz:
specially since the bike in questions is a hybrid (and not in the tree-huggin-purse-totting-prius type of way) :boogie:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

If everything is in good shape I would just bolt it back together and go riding. In the right hands a stock KDX is more than capable of ripping through the woods at a very brisk pace. As your skills increase, you will know if and when you want to extract a bit more power from the motor. Don't worry about your motor for now and spend your time geting your suspension set up properly. Apperently you have a hybrid so I'll just take a guess that you are dealing with an MX bike with a KDX engine. All the power in the world will be useless if you don't remove the "wall" from the MX tuned suspension and that will require some revalving, fluid, and probably springs. You need plush action and compliance to ride single track. You may also find that the MX seat is horribly uncomfortable for trail riding so you may want to work on that as well.

The main thing you need to do is get out there and ride so you can figure out what you might want to modify to suit YOU better.

What kind of hybrid are we talking about? Pics?
OsoBlanco

Post by OsoBlanco »

Goofaroo wrote:If everything is in good shape I would just bolt it back together and go riding. In the right hands a stock KDX is more than capable of ripping through the woods at a very brisk pace. As your skills increase, you will know if and when you want to extract a bit more power from the motor. Don't worry about your motor for now and spend your time geting your suspension set up properly. Apperently you have a hybrid so I'll just take a guess that you are dealing with an MX bike with a KDX engine. All the power in the world will be useless if you don't remove the "wall" from the MX tuned suspension and that will require some revalving, fluid, and probably springs. You need plush action and compliance to ride single track. You may also find that the MX seat is horribly uncomfortable for trail riding so you may want to work on that as well.

The main thing you need to do is get out there and ride so you can figure out what you might want to modify to suit YOU better.

What kind of hybrid are we talking about? Pics?
That's kind of what I was thinking...jump into the engine mods after the end of this season and just ride it for now.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=13783 is the build info. The suspension is in the capable hands of a local pro racer/bike mechanic. I've heard nothing but great things about him and his work. Me being 250lbs, yeah it's definitely getting re-valved and re-sprung.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

To mod or not to mod

Post by SS109 »

I am one to always say get your suspension done first. However, it does take some riding time (ie; experience) to figure out what you want to change in your suspension. As you progress, your suspension needs change. What I ran when I was a slow C rider would get me hurt today as a fast B rider. I say get some time on the bike, develop your skills somewhat, and figure out what you don't like about the suspension and/or what you want it to do, then get it revalved. BTW, I don't consider buying the correct springs for your weight suspension tuning. That is something that is required to even have a basis on how to revalve/tune the suspension.

Anyways, the RB mods would provide usable power (crisper throttle, wider powerband, etc.) that would not hamper your learning curve. If you have the extra cash and have it apart, why not? If you have to either do the RB mods or suspension only, save the cash until you know what you want out of your suspension and do it.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

RBD's head mod is really nice on the 220.........

Dollar for dollar it is really worth it.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy