How much compression does the RB Head mod add?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

I had the "experimental" head mod done (Squish Band and Compression raise for pump gas). I get my cylinder back from Poweseal on Wed or Thur so when I get it all together with the new Wiseco forged piston does anyone know how much more psi I should be getting over the stock setup?
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
ecojbr
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: How much compression does the RB Head mod add?

Post by ecojbr »

That will be hard to say. All cylinders are a touch different in porting due to castings. That will have an effect on compression. Also you are going from a tired motor to a completely fresh motor with a cut head. Your compression SHOULD be alot better than it was before. As for how much the head alone adds, noticable, not drastic, but noticable
04 kx220 hybrid
03 kx 250
05 kdx 200
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

The manual says a max of 150 psi. If I get that I will be stoked since I was down to 118 for the last month I rode it. The original coating had given up long ago but I was having so much fun riding I didn't have the heart (or money) to do it any earlier than now.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I replaced the piston on mine because it was 12 years old and I felt bad for it and I already had it apart. I checked the compression before I tore the engine apart and it had 150 PSI. I put it all back together and after a few rides with the new piston I had about 143 PSI. :doh: Should have left well enough alone I guess. :?

Not really related to your question, mine is a 200 with no head mod but just thought I would throw that out there.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Obviously the specs that Ron uses are his own years of research and I wouldn't expect it to be all over the forums.

Quick trivia .... Our 200 with fresh Wiseco and .015 off the head will pump 170 psi warm.

I'd suggest to send the head to RB vs. just have a local machine shop wack off a guessed amount.
Last edited by C George on 06:19 am Feb 08 2014, edited 1 time in total.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Compression will often be higher on a worn engine because of the carbon deposits on top of the piston. They actually RAISE the compression.
'00 KDX 220R
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

[quote="rbates9"]I replaced the piston on mine because it was 12 years old and I felt bad for it and I already had it apart. I checked the compression before I tore the engine apart and it had 150 PSI. I put it all back together and after a few rides with the new piston I had about 143 PSI. :doh: Should have left well enough alone I guess. :?

5% difference is not big deal , one less kick , a different engine temperature , and the time idling or not before
shutting off will easily give you that difference. Nothin to worry about . :cool:
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

C George wrote:
rbates9 wrote:I replaced the piston on mine because it was 12 years old and I felt bad for it and I already had it apart. I checked the compression before I tore the engine apart and it had 150 PSI. I put it all back together and after a few rides with the new piston I had about 143 PSI. :doh: Should have left well enough alone I guess. :?

5% difference is not big deal , one less kick , a different engine temperature , and the time idling or not before
shutting off will easily give you that difference. Nothin to worry about . :cool:

Never lost a seconds sleep over it. Just one of those :kick: kind of things. Try to make things better and it ends up worse. It will be due for a replate before long anyway so after that I can have a little concern for it.