Carb mod and reliability

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Carb mod and reliability

Post by B737driver »

I'm a new guy here. Thanks for the inspiration to do some upgrades on my '04 KDX 200. I purchased it new in '03 and have really enjoyed this bike.

I've got the basics - airbox mod, pipe, and silencer. Just got some '00 KX forks and triples and I am about to send them off to RB for that mod. My real question has to do with the carb mod. The reason I love this bike so much is because of the reliability. I kick it a time or two, it starts, I ride. It's a thing of beauty. I'm actually considering keeping my carb and buying either the PWK A/S carb, or the OEM style carb so I can always switch back if it does not work out.

Question 1 - Am I just too paranoid about screwing up my bike? Should I just send him my carb?

Question 2 - What' the difference in the Air Striker and the OEM style carbs?

Question 3 - After the mod can I still kick it a time or two and go...i.e. reliability?

Thx
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

this is one of the best mod you can ever do, no reliability issue at all, just jet it (he gives you a good ball park idea when he sends it back) and go ride. You'll never look back again on the stock carb.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

My bike fires up in half a kick, every time.
'00 KDX 220R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I will probably just send my carb, but I am curious what the difference is between the two carbs RB sells ( the air striker $345, and the OEM style $325.). Anybody know?
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

>|<>QBB<
B737driver wrote:I will probably just send my carb, but I am curious what the difference is between the two carbs RB sells ( the air striker $345, and the OEM style $325.). Anybody know?
I don't know, but I do know that Ron is very quick to get back with e-mailed questions. I will also give him a very good review on the work he did for me. I had a carb and stem swap done last month and this month he has another carb and head to do for me.

If you need the carb quickly you might want to send him an additional $40 or so for the misc parts your carb WILL need. I didn't do this the first time and it took an additional week due to the USPS. This time I just sent the extra cash with the parts. You will get change back if there is any.

Good guy, good work, good service, good product.

Pete
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Do the head while you're at it. It makes a nice performance difference and still no hit to reliability.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the air striker is a bit less susceptible to altitude and temp changes I think
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
Rjcapt wrote:>|<>QBB<
B737driver wrote:I will probably just send my carb, but I am curious what the difference is between the two carbs RB sells ( the air striker $345, and the OEM style $325.). Anybody know?
I don't know, but I do know that Ron is very quick to get back with e-mailed questions. I will also give him a very good review on the work he did for me. I had a carb and stem swap done last month and this month he has another carb and head to do for me.

If you need the carb quickly you might want to send him an additional $40 or so for the misc parts your carb WILL need. I didn't do this the first time and it took an additional week due to the USPS. This time I just sent the extra cash with the parts. You will get change back if there is any.

Good guy, good work, good service, good product.

Pete

+1
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get this done. I read here somewhere that the head mod was a big improvement on the 220, but not so much on the 200. Can't find it right off hand, but anyone have any experience with this?
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

The head mod is well worth the money. $50 for better low end (not necessarily more) and for me, a lot better top end rev. It really woke mine up.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

Ron takes your good carb & turns it into a SUPER-DUPER carb. Reliability is unchanged. (Or possibly improved?)
The only thing you'll regret is that you didn't do it sooner.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

>|<>QBB<
B737driver wrote:Thanks guys. Can't wait to get this done. I read here somewhere that the head mod was a big improvement on the 220, but not so much on the 200. Can't find it right off hand, but anyone have any experience with this?
I read this too, but I sent my head in anyway. I'm not expecting it to radically change the performance, but I figured it was worth it while I was waiting for my cyl replate. I have just the carb done on my other kdx, so a side by side comparison should prove to be interesting.

Think of it as going from a Boeing to an airbus, not much different. Just better...lol

Pete
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Probably send it in as well. Why not?

I'd take cables an pulleys to my flight controls any day compared to electrical wizardry. But that's just me.

But I do like the room in those cockpits. Hmmm?
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

Just kidding around a bit.

You know what they say "if it ain't Boeing, I ain't going".

I just love the feel of "artificial feel"? It feels so....artificial....

Good luck with your mods, I can't wait to see how mine run.

Pete
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Good luck with your's as well. I'll be watching for a report.

Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live