What Reeds and Pipe/Silencer to add to RB mods?

Questions and Answers about the best carb and Head mods available for the KDX.
ktm950se

What Reeds and Pipe/Silencer to add to RB mods?

Post by ktm950se »

Greetings,
I'm going to have RB do his Head and Carb modification services to these items from my 2004 Kawasaki KDX 220.
Which particular reed OR reed block (Boyesen OR Moto Tassinari VForce3 Valve System, etc.), as well as exhaust pipe and silencer, would you recommend to accompany these modifications?
This bike will be used primarily for tight woods-type riding.

ktm950se
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

From rb-designs website:
This carb mod works best with the air box lid removed, after market pipe and silencer, and some inexpensive Boyesen 607 reeds.
For pipe & silencer, a lot of members here like FMF Gnarly & FMF Turbine Core2.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Deleted the duplicate post and moved this one to RB Q&A since it was the one with a reply. One post topic per question is fine, no need to post in multiple locations. :wink:

Same as special Ed up there posted, FMF gnarly. I'd keep the stock silencer though. It's a waste of money to replace it. You probably want a Gnarly desert (REV) pipe for that 220.
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

Same as special Ed up there posted, FMF gnarly. I'd keep the stock silencer though. It's a waste of money to replace it. You probably want a Gnarly desert (REV) pipe for that 220.
+1

I had the RB mods done and installed a gnarly desert pipe and the 607 reeds. I am extremely happy with the improvement of my bikes performance.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
ktm950se

Post by ktm950se »

Sorry about the double post, I just wanted to ensure visibility to my question.

ktm950se
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I have two 220's (and a 200). My 220 has the RB carb and head and the desert (rev) pipe and my wife's is un modded except it has the woods (torque) pipe on it.

The RB mods with the REV pipe is a lot of fun, especially when the terrain opens up. It allows you to have snap when you want it. It even doubles as a track/loaner bike on occasion.

My wife's bike with the woods (torque) pipe is super easy to ride. Not very snappy but super friendly in slippery/rocky conditions. It won't rev out at all so even when the terrain opens up you kinda have to short shift it but it won't make you tired. It's more like a Honda XR with out the weight.

One of these days I'm gonna "borrow" the desert pipe from my wife's bike and try it on mine with the RB mods so I can see how that combination performs.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch